It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
(male)

scaredtraveller HB User
possible ars, very worried, please help!

Hi all,†

I am currently on holidays and have had a scare. I will put a disclaimer on this post that like many other posters whose posts I have read, I tend to get worried very easily and will often jump on google and immediately try to figure out what's wrong with me, when quite often it ends up being nothing.†

However, I have been doing a fair bit of reading and while I have come to realise that it is negligible to try and diagnose solely through symptoms, I have what I believe to be pertinent questions. I would appreciate your candid and specific opinion please :-)

My scenario: on Friday morning (18 January 2013) at approximately 3:30am I had unprotected vaginal sex. I dont know how long the whole thing lasted because i was stone drunk, but i assume no longer than 15 minutes.

I have since spoken with the woman I had intercourse with and she advised that she has had checks and she is clean. However, I'm not entirely convinced after she let a total stranger (me) have a one night stand with her and told me afterwards she had slept with almost 100 men. I met her at a bar, she is not a sex worker.

I am well aware there are a number of logical explanations for all of the symptom I have ie lack of sleep, alcohol, cold weather, change of diet, lack of water, taking (what I assume are cold and flu tablets but not sure because can't read kanji etc).†However, my question is not simply whether you think these are consistent ars symptoms but rather based on something else.†

Specifically, I have been reading that there are multiple strains of HIV. Furthermore, I have also read that in Japan hiv2(ae I think it is?) Is very prevalent and far more aggressive than HIV1 ie there is an approx rate of catching of 1/30 as opposed to hiv1 which is assumed to be anywhere between 1/277 to 3/10000.†

1 My question is, if it is more aggressive, is it possible to show symptoms within a couple of days of contraction?†

2 Furthermore, how severe are the ars symptoms generally? I have heard people refer to it as the flu from hell but i assume it varies person to person?†

3 Also, I understand you can test at 10 days. Is there really any point in doing this since it can only be confirmed after approx 3 months?

†4 Lastly, can you please indicate the likelihood/chances of contracting HIV from the scenario I have outlined above?†

As i had developed a rash a couple of days ago i did go see a doctor, she thought it was probably a cold that i had.come down with because there is a bit going around at the moment. However, this feels more like glandular fever which worries me a bit. I had it previously when i was 13, now 25. I know it can come back, but would it really show again after 12 years?

As a heads up I intend on getting the checks done as soon as I get back to Australia, approx 3 weeks after exposure and also each 3 weeks again after this until 12.†

Thus, any advice you could provide would be much appreciated. I understand that my actions we're completely moronic and while under the influence of alcohol the responsibility falls squarely with me.†

Cheers, Scared Traveller.†

Last edited by Administrator; 01-28-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

joggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB Userjoggen HB User
Re: possible ars, very worried, please help!

Read the sticky threads -we don't discuss symptoms here.

You had a very low risk exposure and it is nothing that you should be concerned about as in all probability she did not have HIV. What you read about strains on the internet is sheer rubbish and all you're doing by researching on the internet is fueling anxiety. I advise that you stop all search activity immediately and leave all HIV forums that you may have visited after you have been advised on this thread.

This is really something that you should approach as a matter of routine, like a dental appointment. Find other projects to concern yourself with over the next few weeks and just have an antibody test at 3 months, collect your negative result, and move on with your life. HIV is rare and not transmitted efficiently and most people who get infected have multiple high risk exposures sometimes spanning months or years. Your exposure barely registers as a risk.

Edit: Also, testing every 3 weeks is completely overkill; putting yourself through the testing process repeatedly will just make you unnecessarily anxious. You wouldn't test your cholesterol every 3 weeks, would you? You either have HIV or you don't and there's no advantage to knowing earlier, and if you by chance did get infected (which I really doubt) life will go on. Schedule something for 3 months, mark it on your calendar, and put it in the back of your mind.

Last edited by joggen; 01-25-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
(male)

scaredtraveller HB User
Re: possible ars, very worried, please help!

Hi Joggen,

Thank you for your candid advice and sorry about posting on the wrong board - i read the sticky after i posted and actually put it on the right board.

You're right, i need to stop worrying so much and i think i just needed to put it in direct terms for me. Thanks again.

Cheers,
scared traveller

Last edited by scaredtraveller; 01-25-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Closed Thread