It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
(male)

mbz HB User
Western Blot indeterminate, Oraquick Negitive

Recently my girlfriend had an HIV test done as a full body check up. When the labs came back they said the confirmation test, western Blot showed a p24 band only. Giving her indeterminate results. Her and I have been together for about 6 months and are very much devoted to each other nor are we drug users of any kind.

My last sexual partner was about 7 months ago and her's was about 9 to 10 months ago. After the test results came back we rushed out to the store and bought 2 Oraquick tests. Both yielded negative results.

One would suspect that at this time frame Oraquick would have picked it up if we were positive. We were made a bit more comfortable knowing that we both got negative results from Oraquick. This kind of leads me to think that the test she got at the lab was wrong. Im interested in hearing your take on this. How can we both show negative Oraquick test and she show indeterminate WB test results at this time frame?

Background is: We are both white, non drug users. We were best friends before we started dating and deeply know about each others past. We have lived together ever since we started dating.

Best Regards

Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Western Blot indeterminate, Oraquick Negitive

Hiya. Im inclined to agree with your opinion.

If people have a health check then its very rare that they take a wb test. Wb tests are used for confirmation of your status if you have tested positive from a antibody test. The fact you have both tested negative really would indicate you both dont have hiv and this was just a blip on the p24 band, which is common. The test wasnt positive, so that basis i would still take it as you both dont have hiv.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
(male)

mbz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Hiya. Im inclined to agree with your opinion.

If people have a health check then its very rare that they take a wb test. Wb tests are used for confirmation of your status if you have tested positive from a antibody test. The fact you have both tested negative really would indicate you both dont have hiv and this was just a blip on the p24 band, which is common. The test wasnt positive, so that basis i would still take it as you both dont have hiv.
Thanks for the the replay. She was set to do full blood lab. That included an HIV test. The WB test that was done was a 2nd test to confirm something the 1st test must have picked up.

I want to say, that your reply is more help than her Dr. has given thus far. Thats a whole other topic as to how we feel her Dr handled this in giving her the results. No support, or availability to answer any of our questions.

Again, I find it strange at this time frame since our past sexual relationships that only P24 band is showing in the WB test. We dont have the results from the 1st test (they were not given to us). Only the results of the WB test.

In fact we are at the point of our personal conversations now trying to rule out long shot possibilities, like having a cyst removed at the Dr. office and contracting the virus that way. From an infected tool or stitching needle.

We are really on edge her, with no support from the Dr office other then them telling her to retest is 4 to 6 weeks. So any reply to this thread helps a lot and I thank you.

Best Regards.

Last edited by mbz; 02-05-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz View Post
Thanks for the the replay. She was set to do full blood lab. That included an HIV test. The WB test that was done was a 2nd test to confirm something the 1st test must have picked up.

I want to say, that your reply is more help than her Dr. has given thus far. Thats a whole other topic as to how we feel her Dr handled this in giving her the results. No support, or availability to answer any of our questions.

Again, I find it strange at this time frame since our past sexual relationships that only P24 band is showing in the WB test. We dont have the results from the 1st test (they were not given to us). Only the results of the WB test.

In fact we are at the point of our personal conversations now trying to rule out long shot possibilities, like having a cyst removed at the Dr. office and contracting the virus that way. From an infected tool or stitching needle.

We are really on edge her, with no support from the Dr office other then them telling her to retest is 4 to 6 weeks. So any reply to this thread helps a lot and I thank you.

Best Regards.
Hiya. I can see why you both are in limbo about your situation and certainly it dose not help by thr lack of communication you have had.

Ok, the first test. They are duty bound to tell you the result and what there concern was, and you should follow that up.

You dont havd to worry about the minor opp, you would not be at risk, but again you must take in mind you both since have had negative tests.

The p24 band is quite common and if the antibody test was a 4th generation test ( they include p24) and that was positive then it might explain a little of what be happening?

We have seen cases here where people test postive on the p24 but test negative with an antibody test. The final outcome for all was a negative conclusive result. The p24 can spike for many reasons and nearly all are nothing to be concerned about.

I would certainly ask them what test test was taken. I would also go to another clinic and you both take a standard antibody test, rapid would be fine and see the outcome.

I hope that helps?

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
(male)

mbz HB User

coccidioides ab, igG EIA (whatever that means lol) observed value was 0.000. Is this the EIA (1st test results)?

If so, why would they do a WB test if they already know the EIA came back 0.000?

On this test it says negative for what I think is the EIA test. is below 0.150

Sorry this should be my last question.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz View Post
coccidioides ab, igG EIA (whatever that means lol) observed value was 0.000. Is this the EIA (1st test results)?

If so, why would they do a WB test if they already know the EIA came back 0.000?

On this test it says negative for what I think is the EIA test. is below 0.150

Sorry this should be my last question.
Dont worry, ask as many questions as you like buds, you have a valid thread.

Ok, well this is not a hiv test buds, so i would still both take your negative test results as your status. Again i would go to another centre and get tested again.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
(male)

mbz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
Dont worry, ask as many questions as you like buds, you have a valid thread.

Ok, well this is not a hiv test buds, so i would still both take your negative test results as your status. Again i would go to another centre and get tested again.

Thanks a bunch. As my searching continues, I guess that is for Valley Fever. On the an ther not I looked at my girlfriends lab order codes. One code took me to the lab that did the testings website. That code was for a Western Blot test (005462) on LabCorp website.

On here lab then the only test that shows to be done was a Western Blot test. As far as I know you cant just do a WB test without an EIA/ELISA test.

If you go to Labcorp website and under "test menu" and enter the code 005462 It seems like that is only a WB test and not an EIA or ELISA test.

So no wonder we have not results from an EIA/ELISA test, because it was never done. As far as I can see.

Last edited by mbz; 02-05-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

well i would show them your negative results and ask them why on earth they did a wb test?

A wb test is a stand alone test buds, so they can test you with that but you would only use that test if you get a positive antibody test.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
(male)

mbz HB User

It boggles the mind why only a WB test was done and not an EIA/ELISA test first. It took me day of researching lab codes, testing procedures, and endless medical articles to see what was going on.

This just supports that fact that we are getting no help from the Dr. who ordered the tests. If they new what they were doing. They would have seen the lab that showed only a test for WB and they should have known that you need to do an EIA/ELISA test first.

The stress this has caused her and I is explainable in words.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

I can only imagine what the stress would be like at first. Without anyone explaining the situation to you then you would cerainly have a confused and worried outlook.

I would certianly forget that doctor and use somone else and stipulate a antibody test again, although again i stress, you both have tested negative.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
(male)

mbz HB User

Getting mixed messages from the Dr. and the Lab that did the testing. So I'll post up the info the lab gave back.

gp120 Ab Absent
pg160 Ab Absent
gp40 Ab Equivocal
gp41 Ab Absent
p18 Ab Absent
P24 Ab present
p31 Ab Absent
p51 Ab Equivocal
p55 Ab Equivocal
P65 Ab Absent

At this point I dont even know what this test is. Is it a Western Blot? or is it both EIA and Western Blot? So confused.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Thats a wb test. A antibody test will only have one value.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
(male)

mbz HB User

Update: It turns out I may have been right. As it looks like only a Western Blot test was done. hence why we never got any results from a 1st test. Only the WB results.

We went to the lab that is also in the Dr office today and had another lab ordered. called a IMCA test. I guess that is a type of ELISA test? I pointed out to the lab tech and the NP that ordered the test that We wanted an EIA test and gave them a print out of the lab I thought my girlfriend should have. So at this point she is either having an IMCA or an EIA test done first.

Sometimes you just have to advocate for yourself. I'll update when we get the results. Unless there is something you think I should know.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Hiya. i have no idea what a imca test is, you may have got that mixed up, but the EIA test is a elisa antibody test, so yes, your on the right lines now buds.

Closed Thread