It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
(male)

Liberty1 HB UserLiberty1 HB User
Very stressed out about possible HIV

Hello, members of the forums. In early Jan I had unprotected sex with a woman that I am very much regretting and having second thoughts about. She told me she was clean, but of course that could always be a lie.

Now my dilemma. So far I think i have been experiencing HIV symptoms. Here how my time has been so far. It as been 4 weeks since and here is everything.

The day immediately afterwards I had frequent urination. This didn't stop till last week. Then I had what I could only call a blister in my mouth that I pop and turned black. I was given an antibiotic and ultimately and that has healed up. Also my throat has just been feeling strange for a while now. I would say it is sore exactly though. I constantly find myself awake at night unable to sleep and having a complete lost of appetite.

Next just recently as of yesterday I now have tingling in my hands, and slight pain in my feet. The tingling is mostly in the left hand the the pain is mostly in the right foot.

I have been tested twice so far. The first test came a week exactly after the possible exposure and the next came 4 weeks after the exposure. Both came back negative, but I'm still scared and worried very much.

Any information someone can give me about my symptoms would greatly be appreciated.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
(male)

GuiltyConcious HB User
Re: Very stressed out about possible HIV

Well the frequent urination the day after is more of a sign of anxiety. Whenever I get anxious about things, I frequently can go to the bathroom 3 times in a span of 2 hours or so. Same thing with the tingly feeling in the hands, which usually occur during anxiety attacks (I know, I used to get them, they suck).

not sure i'm authorized of anything else, but I know what anxiety feels like. It's sucks.

The Following User Says Thank You to GuiltyConcious For This Useful Post:
Liberty1 (02-06-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
(male)

That's what I'm hoping for. I have been extremely stressed recently. Just trying to take it one day at a time

Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Most people will not lie about their disease status when asked.

Obviously, any unprotected sex is a risk, but your chances of HIV form this are vanishingly small. Most typical women do not have HIV, it is a rare disease amongst heterosexuals. Also, the chance of contracting HIV- were she actually infected- from a one time exposure are very low. Odds are odds, take them with a grain of slat, but it is estimated at 1 infection per 2000 exposures with a known infected woman.

Your symptoms are not from HIV. HIV symptoms are non specific, but are pretty pronounced IF they happen. The one week test was useless. The 4 week test would be about 90% accurate, meaning 90% of people that were actually infected with HIV would have tested positive by then.

Ignore your past, current, and future symptoms...they mean nothing and are most likely from anxiety. The combined chances that this woman actually had HIV, that you would of contracted it from a one time exposure, and that a 4 week test wouldn't have caught it are extremely tiny. A 3 month test is officially conclusive, I would hold out for that if you can. I would be expecting a negative.

The Following User Says Thank You to SOTM For This Useful Post:
Liberty1 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
(male)

Thanks for the logic and reason. I've been such of mess ever since. I've even had violent mood swings just thinking about how things like this are truly out of our control. I need to relax and I'm planning on taking another test in two weeks, and of course get tested on the three month mark. It's just after a situation like this and with all these random things that start occurring it messes with your mind. Of course I'll take everything with a gain of salt, but I think I really needed to hear this. Thank you

Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
(male)

I'm going to get tested again on Monday and then next Monday if I come out negative. This will be the 5 & 6 weeks respectfully.

Last edited by ModHB007; 02-09-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Their is no point testing twice. A test at 6 weeks will be a good indication of your status.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The following user gives a hug of support to Apollo123:
TrishLives17 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
(male)

I know the six week one will be better, but right now I can't think of the worse.

Sorry about breaking the rules. I'll let you guys know how it turns out for me on Monday.

Edit: I just got tested today. I'll find the results out come Wednesday - Friday. I hate this.

Last edited by Liberty1; 02-11-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

i can tell you how it will turn out,
you will be negative again.

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
Liberty1 (02-22-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
(male)

5 weeks. Still negative. I'm going to calm down, and wait a bit longer for the next test.

Last edited by Liberty1; 02-14-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

There is such thing as over testing, it can carry a chance- although tiny, of a false positive.

I will preface the following by saying you should test at the 3 month mark for a conclusive result, as you did have a "risk" because of unprotected sex. If I received a 5 week negative from your encounter...I would have zero worries about HIV. Please, please, please relax!

Test at the 3 month mark, you will have the same exact result...negative

The Following User Says Thank You to SOTM For This Useful Post:
Liberty1 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
(male)

Yeah it's been hard. I'm finally getting back to normal though. I'm not sure if I can hold out that long, but I think I may get the 8 week test then the 13 week and that would be end of it. I'm feeling good for the first time in a while.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
(female)

TrishLives17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
5 weeks. Still negative. I'm going to calm down, and wait a bit longer for the next test.
I know exactly how you feel. I had unprotected sex with a friend that I did not know to well around Christmas time. I started not feeling well so I was wondering why I didn't feel well. I took a HIV test little after the 6 week mark and came out negative. I have been surfing around for info as well and many say negative at 6 weeks is very very good. It doesn't help that I got an ear infection and I have been scratching at my neck, and then I got the gardasil shot and ended up getting a reaction from that.

I had spoken to the person about his health and he promised me he had a clean bill health being tested a few months prior. So I knoww EXACTLY how you feel. You feel so trapped by your thoughts. It is so nerve wracking. We both need to stay strong and realize that our one mistake doesn't mean our deathbeds. We both need to learn from it. It is hard though. I am considering getting retested to rest my mind.

Last edited by TrishLives17; 02-15-2013 at 07:48 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrishLives17 For This Useful Post:
Liberty1 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
(male)

Thanks for sharing. These past 3 weeks especially have been really hard. I started to have a lot of real random health issues. Fortunately, most are gone now except my sore throat and my insomnia. The insomnia is getting better though. I read that a lot of what happened to me could have been a result of anxiety though, but even now I don't find much confront in that. I really was a wreck not too long ago with my stress.

I know I'm not in the clear yet, but for the first time in a while I can relax. The thought that killed me the most was actually how much one mistake can ruin your life and those around you. I experience a lot of emotions about thinking this, and how things are out of your control. I'm growing though and staying positive. I probably will get another test the 8th week or so. I hope the best for you. I read also that a 6 week test is a great indication, so I'm sure things will work out for you. Stay positive

Last edited by Liberty1; 02-15-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi,

I would advise you, strongly, not to retest at eight weeks (SOTM as already advised you about over testing). To get a conclusive HIV result you should wait to 3 months/12 weeks.

In the meantime you should refocus your thoughts elsewhere. Buddy taking test after test to seek confirmation of what you already know will do nothing other than fuels fears and drive your imagination into over drive.

Your risk here was extremely small, yes it really was. Continually testing to lay these fears to rest serves little purpose, other than to fuel your fears.

It is unheard for a six week negative result to later change, with a confirmation test. Please do yourself a huge favour; stop dwelling on this and get off the HIV fear bandwagon. It is extremely unlikely you will test positive from this, regardless of when you test.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 02-15-2013 at 01:10 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
Liberty1 (02-15-2013)
Reply Reply