It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
(male)

godsaveme HB User
Post Unprotected Vaginal Intercourse with a Neighbor - Test Update

Hi All,

I am an Indian male, 28 years old. I recently had an unprotected vaginal intercourse with my neighbor for about a minute, on 28th Dec. When this happened, I was being treated for Tonsilitis. I used Antibiotics and pain relievers as a part of the treatment.

I am not sure of the health status of my neighbor and as per the looks she is quite active and not a sex worker as far as I know.

I have changed the course of my medicines as my throat was getting worse and really painful. From about 10 days, I got very itchy skin. Especially, on my abdomen and back. I sometimes experienced itching on my hands as well and even now, I have this itching on my face, nose, ears. I can see flakes of skin on my ears, which is a known condition to me because I have dandruff and flaky scalp.

My tonsilitis has subsided fairly. But this itching and minute 2 or 3 boils on my abdomen and back are causing me worry. I feel very itchy after having my bath and my skin feels very dry. The boils are very painful if I ever touch as well. My skin has become hyper sensitive for the past 10 days and If I ever touch any part of my body for a minute, I feel very itchy and painful there.

I have gone for HIV - Elisa test & VDRL today(After 25 days of Encounter). And the results came in as Negative(Non-Reactive) for both. However, I suspect the correctness of the test as I am on medication for my throat infection.

What kind of effect does antibiotic medication have on HIV - Elisa tests? Can I be conclusive about my tests at this period? Please help me. I am really worried. Also, how conclusive is my ELISA test at this point?

Update at 27 days after exposure:

Her - Test Result REF.RANGE

Antibodies to HIV I & II : OD:0.006 Cut Off OD: 0.247
(Microwell Elisa) Non-Reactive <cut off - Non-reactive
>cut off - Reactive

I have a question regarding this test. what does the number (OD:0.006) show here. That there is SOME virus in her blood? or something else. Please let me know if I need to go for further testing.

I still have the symptoms of sore throat, serious itching on abdomen, around my chest(gets worse at night), itching on palms(gets worse at night). Please let me know if these symptoms are for something else entirely. I searched on the net and found these matching with Scabies. Is that what you think too? Please help.

Update at 48 days after Exposure:

I got myself tested yesterday using HIV Elisa Method. The result came Non-Reactive(Negative) with Index Value of 0.002.

Questions:

For my given scenario, at 48 days post exposure, is my HIV Elisa result conclusive? Should I go for any further testing? My tonsilitis has subsided, but I still have itchy skin and feeling a lot dizzy at work. Please suggest. Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Unprotected Vaginal Intercourse with a Neighbor - Test Update

Your test is very much eveidence that you dont have hiv, but your 3 month test will confirm this.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
(male)

godsaveme HB User

Hi Apollo123,

I have gone for the Western Blot test as well yesterday and got to know that the result came up Negative. I will get to receive the report today and will let you know the status. Earlier, in my case, a 6 week test was suggested. Do you still think a 3 month test is required? Thanks in anticipation.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Yes to conform with the CDC guidlines, but i wouldnt worry about your test, im sure it will be negative

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
(male)

godsaveme HB User

Hi Apollo123,

Thanks for the hope. I still have serious itching, Dizziness. Do you think these have something to do with my abuse of antibiotics?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

They could be and it could be anything, so you should see your doctor if you continue to be unwell.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
(male)

godsaveme HB User

Hi,

My Western Blot results are as follows. Please let me know if there is anything that needs attention.

Antigen | Gene | Result
--------------------------------
gp160 | ENV | Not detected
gp120 | ENV | Not detected
p66 | POL | Not detected
p55 | GAG | Not detected
p51 | POL | Not detected
gp41 | ENV | Not detected
p31 | POL | Not detected
p24 | GAG | Not detected
p17 | GAG | Not detected

HIV2 ----------- Not detected
Control Band | Detected

Here I have one more question. What is this Control Band? Please help.

Last edited by godsaveme; 02-15-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Western Bloc tests are confirmation test, not diagnostic tests. I personally have no idea why you have been given this test, although it is unequivocally negative, you should be given HIV antibody tests.

You have no reason for concern.

The control band is exactly that, a control (reference) band.

Kevin.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #9
(male)

godsaveme HB User

Hi,

She got herself tested again today at 51 days post OUR exposure.

Her test results are as follows:

Hiv Elisa test - Non-Reactive
Index Value: 0.098
Cut-Off OD is 0.247

I have a question. Last time her index value was 0.006.
This time it almost doubled. Does this mean she is developing some virus inside her?

Last edited by godsaveme; 02-16-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

The index value changes all the time. So if you took 3 tests all the same day, all 3 will have different values, its nothing to worry about.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
(male)

godsaveme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
The index value changes all the time. So if you took 3 tests all the same day, all 3 will have different values, its nothing to worry about.
Hi Apollo123,

Thank you for the quick reply. One more question. Now that she is negative at 51 days after OUR exposure, can my Elisa test at 48 days be considered conclusive? If not, what is the percentage of not having HIV (read somewhere that Elisa is 95% conclusive at 6 weeks period). Please suggest.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Well its very unlikley she had hiv, her test proves that and your very much does. The cdc guidelines require a 3 month test for conclusive results, but if this was me i wouldnt test again :-)

The following user gives a hug of support to Apollo123:
godsaveme (02-16-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
godsaveme (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsaveme View Post
Hi Apollo123,

Thank you for the quick reply. One more question. Now that she is negative at 51 days after OUR exposure, can my Elisa test at 48 days be considered conclusive? If not, what is the percentage of not having HIV (read somewhere that Elisa is 95% conclusive at 6 weeks period). Please suggest.
Her 7 week test is along the lines of 99.5%-ish accurate, as is your 7 week test. The chances she actually has HIV that was not detected at 7 weeks, that is was transmitted by a one time vaginal exposure IF she was positive(1 in 2000 with a KNOWN positive woman), and that your 7 week test missed it had you been infected in that case are astronomical.

As Apollo said, the official is still 3 months, but I would not test again or even think about it were I you. You do not have HIV.

The following user gives a hug of support to SOTM:
godsaveme (02-16-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to SOTM For This Useful Post:
godsaveme (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
(male)

godsaveme HB User

Hi Apollo123 & SOTM,

Thanks a lot for the replies. I read in some site that when a person undergoes medication at the time of exposure, the window period of HIV detection is delayed. Is this true or a myth? At the time of my exposure, I was on antibiotics for Tonsilitis for over a month continuously. That's the cause of my worries. Please suggest.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Facilitator
(male)

Its a myth buds. Antibiotics will never effect a HIV test but also it cannot effect hers either

Closed Thread