HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   HIV Prevention (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hiv-prevention/)
-   -   Possible HIV and other STD exposure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hiv-prevention/947423-possible-hiv-other-std-exposure.html)

shirleyv 04-24-2013 07:00 AM

Possible HIV and other STD exposure

On a business trip to South Africa I drank way too much and had unprotected sex with a CSW, which was by far the biggest mistake of my life. About 4-5 days later I had burning sensation and urgency to urinate. I went to a GP a week later at which time I was tested for several STDs including Chlamydia, Gonnerhea, HIV, HBV, HCV, Syphilis, UTI, etc. The only thing that came back positive was the UTI. So I went on Ciproflaxon. And being ignorant to the window periods I thought I was ok and had sex with my wife. After the cipro treatment I still had symptoms, so I went to another doctor at a different location where I was tested for the UTI again which came back negative, but they gave me doxycycline. After another week I still had symptoms and was prescribed flagyl and continuation of doxycycline. After a few more days the urination symptoms were gone, which led me to believe I may have had Trich, but was never tested for that and from what I read doesn't usually show symptoms in men. So at this point I was more aware of window periods and became very stressed about possible HIV or Hepatitis infection. I went to get the HIV I/II duo test at 5 weeks and 6 weeks which both were negative and I had a Hep B/C test at 5 weeks and 8 weeks which both were negative. Also other STD tests were done again at 5 weeks and all negative. I feel like my lymph nodes may be swollen, have fatigue, have neck tension and various stomach pains and my stool has been yellow for about 2 and half weeks now. Currently I am at day 61 from exposure (almost 9 weeks) and my wife has now been complaining of fatigue for the last week or so and had felt sick a couple of times but never vomitted, so this is scaring me even more that I passed something on to her. The stress and anxiety is overwhelming and I find it hard to function normally. Every little symptom I notice in me or my wife cripples my ability to do anything and all I do is worry and I don't want her to do the same by telling her if everything is fine. I will go and get tested again at the 12 week mark. Since I live in west africa I also doubt the reliability of testing and I now find myself scouring the net in search of reassurance that I haven't contracted one of these.

HIV Tested at 1 week (not sure of type of test) the doctor did not say I needed to come back and did not give any other information but test was negative

HIV Test at 5 and 6 weeks they said was the HIV I/II antigen antibody test so I assume this was the p24 duo both were negative

Hepatitis B/C tests at 1 week, 5 weeks, 8 weeks all negative.

What are the chances I will remain negative?

What advice do you have?

Apollo123 04-25-2013 01:08 AM

Re: Possible HIV and other STD exposure

Hiya. Well you 5/6 week is a very good indication of your status, more or less 99% conclusive. Its very rare indeed that any test at this time scale would change into a positive result. I can fully understand the stress you are under and what relation you would have to your wife being ill. I belive its not HIV related, so a test now would very much confirm your status although only a 12 week test is the offical all clear.

blokecalledkev 04-25-2013 01:32 AM

Hi,

I agree with Apollo, your test at six weeks is a very good indicator of your HIV status and is unlikely to change with a confirmation test at 12 weeks.

Buddy, words to the wise here, ok? You really need to stop HIV symptom chasing. This is when somebody ,like yourself, reads every little ailment into an HIV inaction. Diagnosing HIV does not work this way. Your ailments ( nor your wife's) will tell you absolutely nothing about your HIV status. the more you look, the more you will find, the more you find the more you will stress and worry. Do yourself a huge favour, please stop using Google in an attempt to determine your status. Your status is determined one way and one way only: by an HIV test. The amount of lack of symptoms means absolutely zero.

Kevin.

shirleyv 04-25-2013 08:15 AM

Thanks for the reassurance. Right now the main issue I'm having extreme tiredness throughout the day and I think the lymph nodes in my neck are a bit swollen and my wife has been complaining of tiredness as well which causes further anxiety for me. I'm hoping its stress related. Its hard to stay off the net, reading other stories has been reassuring but also can cause greater anxiety. Just can't get this out of my head. Also the possibility that I could have contracted hepatitis. Any comments on those 8 week negative results for hep b/c? The doctors never said exactly what tests were done but it was a blood test. I don't recall if I ever completed my 3 shots for hep b vaccination.

blokecalledkev 04-25-2013 08:51 AM

Buddy you need to stay off the net looking for small clues to your HIV status. There are none online. All you will find is lots of lots of stuff (most of it contradictory) that will further add to your anxiety. You are not helping yourself by surfing the net every waking hour; you are simply fuelling your own anxiety.

There is a sticky thread at the top of this board, labelled “HIV cannot be diagnosed by symptoms” if you have not done so please read it. Your symptoms cannot be commented on within this setting, there is no point is guessing at the cause of them for you.

This board is HIV specific board and you can be advised on your risk of an HIV infection and the results of your HIV tests here. There are other boards that can offer you advice on your other concerns.

Your HIV test at six weeks is very accurate and is very unlikely to change.

Kevin.