It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
(male)

Neomundus HB User
HIV Worries

Hi,

I'm 24 years old and gay. I take good care of myself and I am in medical school(just finished my first year) I met up with someone on April 9th( about 1 month and 2 weeks ago) who said he tested negative for everything but he admitted to having been with a great number of people sexually. I've never had anal sex and neither had I ever before given oral. I trusted him based on logical heuristics(very attractive, from a rich neighborhood ). It was very stupid of me though since he told me had family/social and religious issues. I just didn't really expect things to go the way they did and he was very attractive. All we got around to doing was kissing and then oral(no ejaculation) which I gave for the first time ever in my life. I felt uncomfortable afterwards due to guilt about hooking up so we stopped.

2 days after this experience I noticed a pimple like bump above my lip. I then noticed a very small flesh-colored bump(hardly visible unless under light) DIRECTLY on my upper lip(smaller than the bump above my lip). I went to Planned Parenthood(only STI clinic I found online) 2 weeks after the incident and the counselor told me I was being paranoid and that the bump on my lip is too small for them to test it. She said I should still come back 3 months later to get tested for STDs but she was pretty confident they'd be negative.

The nurse practitioner wanted to order tests on me OTOH but I declined since I knew it was too early for a lot of the tests anyway and besides I had school and exams to worry about. Frankly I didn't think the nurse practitioner knew very much during our conversation and then she said I had a white exudate in the back of my throat(but she seemed unsure) which made me even more nervous and I got the throat swab for GC/Chlamydia done at the ED since they didn't have it at the STI center. I never got called back on the results so I assume they were negative but I will be checking them tomorrow. They gave me the medication for GC/Chlamydia anyway since they told me it didn't really have side effects.

However, I've had a progression of symptoms as follows:

Beginning April 9th: very red gum near a particular lower tooth

Beginning April 12th: Moderately sized tender/painful bump on right upper chest(had never seen anything like this before on my own body) that eventually diminished but a small remnant remains.. Painless flesh colored bump on side of index finger that looks exactly like the tiny bump that is on my upper lip.

Beginning April 25-26: Throat irritation and moderate sudden throat pain(almost like something is pulling on it)

Beginning April 27: Feels like bleeding and irritation from the area of the tooth with the red gum but the irritation and itching sensation around the tooth stopped eventually. This is also the day I went to the PP and got the throat swab at the ED along with a blood test for syphilis but I know I should wait 3 months for that anyway..

Beginning May 7th: Irritation to teeth/gums was getting worse

Beginning May 9th: Bump on inside of right cheek that feels like a web of patchy fibers. Right side of tongue getting sensitive/irritated.

Beginning May 11th: Feels like swollen right tonsil/throat and the feeling of patchiness on right cheek extends to the swollen ' right tonsil'/right throat' as well as the right part of my tongue. I haven't checked out what it looks like yet because I didn't want to stress myself out more when I had exams.

Beginning May 16th: Flesh like bump near left shoulder and I still have the patchiness on my right cheek, right tongue, and I still feel that my right tonsil/throat is swollen. Also the spastic fleeting pain comes on and off from my right throat. It almost feels like something is pulling on my throat. The patchiness on my right cheek sometimes 'contracts/moves by itself'.

I also seem to be getting more pimples than usual and some of them appear more red than they've ever been. I also was worried by the random bumps here and there that appeared on my chest and back.

It seems so unfair since I am very safe and I've never hooked up before in my life. Apart from this incident of my first time giving oral( no ejaculation and 5 minutes max but it was probably less than 2 minutes), the only other thing is I have received oral twice in my entire life. That accounts for any and all sexual experiences that I've had. The past month has been quite the toll on my overall mental well being since I had exam after exam and literally had no time to myself and having to worry about possible HIV/STDs while studying for exams nearly drove me up the wall! I couldn't focus half the time on studying for these last set of exams due to the incessant worry and fear that I've been experiencing but luckily my overall grades are fine due to having done well on prior exams.. I know that HIV has a very low risk of transmission orally but isn't it also true that contracting an STD(or something that could be an STD) from the first time anyone gives oral(and for such a short duration w/ no ejaculation) is also very rare? I was born premature and I'm very thin for my age(seriously the lowest weight person I've ever met for my height) and I wonder if for some reason I might have other issues that might make me more at risk than others...

I know it was such a stupid thing to do on my part and as a med student I should know better(keep in mind that this was my first year of school and we really just do didactic learning and don't do anything clinical/hospital related until 3rd/4th year).

I've seriously been going through the worst time of my life in this past month and I feel helpless with no one to turn to.. I didn't even like giving oral and it was only because he was getting mad that I was so inexperienced and hesitant. When I texted him the next day he ignored my texts too which is a bad sign. Are any of my symptoms characteristic of HIV(Stupid question I know since HIV is variable in its presentation)? I've actually been trying to forget all I learned about HIV in micro so that I wouldn't get even more freaked out.. I am lucky that I am now on summer break and can worry about this without worrying about school. What STD could I have if not HIV? Should I just get tested for syphilis(is 1 month and 2 weeks a good enough probability for antibody formation?), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum along with HIV?

I'm so worried about testing positive for anything at all(particularly HIV).. It would really put a damper on my career and life goals. I don't have anyone else to talk to. I greatly appreciate all advice and guidance! Thank you!

Last edited by Neomundus; 05-22-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: HIV Worries

you should have no HIV concerns..
it is not spread thru oral sex and nothing you have said
is even close to a HIV specific symptom in any way.
i know this first hand as i have HIV myself.
as to what is wrong is best determined by working closely with a doctor.
good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
Neomundus (06-12-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
(male)

Neomundus HB User

Thanks for your reply smiteler.

I am still very worried about my situation. As of June 10th it has been 2 months since my encounter. I apologize for my initial long winded post but I was and still am very concerned.

The patchiness and insensitivity around my right tongue, cheek and throat area which began around late April/Early May has remained the same. It feels like there's an itchy coating over my right tongue, right cheek, and right tonsil/throat. I still get sharp pangs from my right throat at times too. In addition there's a dull sensation(not really pain) around my right ear(so it extends up to my ear I guess). I take ginger honey tea to soothe my throat as well as lozenges multiple times a day.

I noticed on one small portion of a side of my finger the thin superficial coating of skin has 'peeled away'. I remember asking someone what the right side of my cheek looked like(since I was and still am too fearful to look myself since it will just worry me more) and he had told me it looks like I'd been scratching there slightly or that a a little bit of it has peeled away. I wonder if the peeling of skin on the side of my finger is the same as what's happened to a small portion of my right cheek.

I also still have the tiny bump on my upper lip.

I noticed several days ago that I had itchy bumps on a portion of the backside of my right hand and these quickly disappeared to leave 3 tiny bumps that looked like their tops had slight skin peeled off. They then transitioned to two tiny scabs(like if I had gotten a tiny cut there). Today I have an itchy reddish area on the palm side of my right upper middle finger.

I know I should get tested soon and my results should be accurate at 8 weeks but I'm so nervous and worried. I can't believe this is happening to me from my first ever(at most 10 mins) oral session that had no ejaculation. I didn't even enjoy it. If I have HIV or something else that's incurable/difficult to treat, I'd be beside myself.. I'm really scared and I feel that I'm so unlucky since all my life I've been safe and avoided any type of sexual encounter and the one time I make a mistake, I come down with these symptoms...I truly appreciate all advice! Thank you!

Last edited by Neomundus; 06-11-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User

HIV cannot be determined by symptoms
you are wasting your time trying to make any connection to HIV with them.
if you do not feel well,see a doctor
i can assure you going by what you say
the only problem with HIV you have
is the fear of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to smiteler For This Useful Post:
Neomundus (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
(male)

Neomundus HB User

Does anyone know of a good place to get tested for HIV as well as other STDs? What's the best HIV test? I live in the Philadelphia/Southern New Jersey area. I went to planned parenthood before but didn't get any tests as mentioned in my first post. Should I just go there again? I would want discreet testing.

Just wondering but are there any clinics that are staffed by doctors that would also be able to diagnose what my symptoms could be? The Nurse Practitioner that attended me at the Planned Parenthood wanted to administer tests and told me she wouldn't be able to diagnose anything outside of what the test results were and wouldn't be able to diagnose anything that wasn't an STD.

I know that the risk through oral is very low but I'm just worried that it might still be the case with me despite the odds.. The 'What ifs' in my head are making me worried. I'm very thin and was born premature at 3.5 lbs so maybe by some crazy measure that makes me more at risk??? Also why has my right tonsil/throat been sensitive/maybe swollen since late April/early May? How accurate is an HIV test at 2 months?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

This forum does not get involved with symptom speculation. As for testing, well this forum does not recommend any places. You can try your local testing centres.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 06-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
(male)

Neomundus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo123 View Post
This forum does not get involved with symptom speculation. As for testing, well this forum does not recommend any places. You can try your local testing centres.
Sorry, I didn't know that before. Do you(and anyone else) agree that I shouldn't have any reason to worry that I have HIV? I'm so nervous sometimes that I'm scared to get tested.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Saliva in the mouth makes the virus inactive. Hiv is a very fradgile virus and when exposed to air or liquids its dies. Many studies over 30 years have come to the same conclusion, hiv is not passed on via oral sex.

Being scared does not create or increase a risk, only simple facts and in your case you had no risk.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
Neomundus (06-12-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
(male)

Neomundus HB User

I went in today to a free clinic and got a blood test done for HIV. The results were given to me after the clinician checked up on me and they were negative. Yay! The lady who showed me the results says it's a test that's accurate after six weeks of exposure but I don't know what type of test was done.

It has been a little over two months since my encounter(on April 9th).

I know the CDC recommends that one get tested 3 months after an encounter but even at 2 months the results are still 97% accurate, are they not? Please let me know. Thanks to everyone so much for their advice and support!

Last edited by Neomundus; 06-20-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
(male)

Neomundus HB User

I know my situation isn't really as serious as some others since the risk of transmission through oral sex is almost nonexistent as you've all mentioned. Even so, I am concerned and I hope I'm not annoying anyone but could someone please tell me how accurate the negative result from the rapid blood test is? It was at a free clinic. After re-evaluating it's actually been more like 9-10 weeks since the incident occurred and when I got tested on Thursday. Should I get tested again after the 3 month mark just to be sure? Thanks!

Last edited by Neomundus; 06-21-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Ok, well you didn't have a risk but you know that, but your testing more so for peace of mind because its your first time and scared from it ok?

Well a test after 8 weeks is 99% accurate and a test at 3 months is 99.89% accurate ( nothing in medical terms is 100%, as im sure your aware ) so really, you should have no concerns, but if you do, just test again but the outcome is already resolved

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
Neomundus (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
(male)

Neomundus HB User

Thanks so much! This is a huge relief and I really appreciate the help you and smiteler have provided me with. I was literally wracked with fear and worry before this and your advice helped to calm me down. You guys are lifesavers!

Closed Thread