It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

MGS93 HB User
Bruised blood draw

I have. Serious question. About a week ago I had a blood draw for an std testing and everything seemed fine but a few days afterwards I got a black and blue bruise that occurred. And since then I stil have the bruise and it's gotten worse, it's darker and looks worse. Is this normal? I've had blood draws before and this has never happened before and it's makin me wonder if this was the result of a dirty needle Which scares me really badly cause I know dirty needles can cause hiv, could a dirty needle be the cause of this bruising? And how long will this last, please someone give me some answers.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Re: Bruised blood draw

Sounds normal, and I have had the same. HIV is not a concern to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

I always get a bruise from this. All it means is that some blood has leaked from the vein into the tissues. As it dissolves, this blood changes colour, this is why it seems to come up later. These places NEVER re use needles, so your needle would have come straight from a sterile syringe into your arm.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Ok first of all, you had no risk and didn't need testing. Your test will be negative because there's no virus there to find.

Secondly, people bruise all the time from blood draws. Not all people who draw blood are good at it, in fact majority of people who do it suck at it which results in more pain and yes bruising for the patient. It has nothing to do with dirty needles and everything to do with poor technique. I suggest the next time you go for a blood draw of any kind you ask for the head vampire who has been doing it the longest and has the most experience. They are usually a little better at it and sometimes are able to do it without you even feeling it, if you're lucky.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

MGS93 HB User

Well It just worries me cause like I said I've j many blood draws before and I've never once had bruising, and if this was slight bruising I wouldn't be worried, but this is a bad bruise and it's bruising in places that aren't even at the draw site. And it looks like it's getting worse everyday

Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Well its nothing to do with HIV but if your concerned see your doctor but this forum cannot help you. You could try the general health forum for better guidance.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
(female)

Budgiegirl HB UserBudgiegirl HB User

You have been lucky with the people taking your blood. :-) As my veins 'have the consistency of wet tissue paper' bruising is a given. But -- the type of bruising varies. If my blood is hypercoaguable on the day of the draw, then it may be a day or two before the bruise shows up. Other times, especially if the tech blows the vein, then the bruise is instant! I had a very bad experience five years ago and the woman worked for over two hours trying to get the blood. To this day, it looks like a fresh bruise. She messed up royally and quite a bit of blood went into the surrounding tissues on my arm. Depending on what trauma occurred, the bruise may take longer than normal to heal. Hopefully you won't end up with a tattoo like I did, but you don't need to worry about HIV from this experience. Who knows? They may have used too large a needle for your veins and that's why it feels and looks different. Like I said, the tech's abilities play a large factor in how you blood site looks afterwards.

Closed Thread