| | Apparent Hormone Imbalance?
I am a 24 year old female having issues with excessive/abnormal hair growth.
I am fair skinned with light brown hair. I have dark, thick hairs growing on my chin and in a patch on the left side of my neck only. Additionally, my sideburns extend to my jawline.
Through the past few years, I have had occasional hairs sprout in these areas. Now, they are growing so fast that I tweeze twice a day. What's worse, is that before the hair grows outside of the surface of my skin, the dark hair follicle is visible. Oddly enough, at this stage of growth, I can actually squeeze the hairs out of my skin (as one would squeeze a blemish).
My mother was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It never occured to me until now, but in the past 3-4 years, I began to exhibit some symptoms which I think may be indicative of some type of hormonal disorder:
- weight gain/slow metabolism (specifically --- unbalanced weight gain in the abdomen)
- cystic acne breakouts (usually on my chin)
- mood swings/irritability...odd bouts of mild depression (this is recent --- about 4-5 months)
- I am not losing patches of hair --- but my head of hair is about half as thick as it was 4-5 years ago.
- I don't have painful constipation... but I only defecate every 3-4 days.
- irregular menstrual cycle (every 2-6 months... usually 5-9 days of bleeding)
- unable to sleep even when exhausted
- always cold. several times a day, I actually feel chills up my spine that cause my body to jerk in reaction.
- I bruise VERY easily. Cuts take long to heal.
While I realize that I do need to see a physician for an official diagnosis... I wanted to at least research some of the possible problems. I also do not want to jump to conclusions based on my mother's condition.
Thanks for your help,