It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2003, 11:37 AM   #1

spinachmonster HB User
Post Apparent Hormone Imbalance?

Hello all,

I am a 24 year old female having issues with excessive/abnormal hair growth.

I am fair skinned with light brown hair. I have dark, thick hairs growing on my chin and in a patch on the left side of my neck only. Additionally, my sideburns extend to my jawline.

Through the past few years, I have had occasional hairs sprout in these areas. Now, they are growing so fast that I tweeze twice a day. What's worse, is that before the hair grows outside of the surface of my skin, the dark hair follicle is visible. Oddly enough, at this stage of growth, I can actually squeeze the hairs out of my skin (as one would squeeze a blemish).

My mother was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It never occured to me until now, but in the past 3-4 years, I began to exhibit some symptoms which I think may be indicative of some type of hormonal disorder:

- weight gain/slow metabolism (specifically --- unbalanced weight gain in the abdomen)
- cystic acne breakouts (usually on my chin)
- weakness/fatigue
- mood swings/irritability...odd bouts of mild depression (this is recent --- about 4-5 months)
- I am not losing patches of hair --- but my head of hair is about half as thick as it was 4-5 years ago.
- I don't have painful constipation... but I only defecate every 3-4 days.
- irregular menstrual cycle (every 2-6 months... usually 5-9 days of bleeding)
- unable to sleep even when exhausted
- always cold. several times a day, I actually feel chills up my spine that cause my body to jerk in reaction.
- I bruise VERY easily. Cuts take long to heal.

While I realize that I do need to see a physician for an official diagnosis... I wanted to at least research some of the possible problems. I also do not want to jump to conclusions based on my mother's condition.

Any thoughts/possibilities?

Thanks for your help,
Spinach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2003, 12:43 PM   #2
(female)

meema HB User
Some of your symptoms sound like PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) to me, as well as possibly hypothyroidism. It's not unusual to have both. Do a search on "soul cysters" and you'll find a forum with a lot of info.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Hi,
If your mother has thyroid problems there is a good chance you will too. If the symptoms you have now are not thyroid related, I suggest you watch it closely in the future because you could have thyroid problems later on.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:00 PM   #4

Ibis HB User
It sounds like to me you have enough discomfort to have blood work done. Ask for a complete panel,
including a complete thyroid panel. Why suffer?

Old 11-10-2003, 02:44 PM   #5
Mara

Adrenal function

Have they tested the parathyroid function? Adrenal function? cortizol (ACTH)-cushings?
ie: facial hair growth, thick body

Closed Thread