It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2003, 06:55 AM   #1

Qtpie23_y2k1 HB User
Question Hormone Imbalance, Anyone..?

Hello, out of curiousity, has anyone had a hormone imbalance as a result of stopping Birth Control Pills..? If so, how long did it last, and what were your pill withdrawal symptoms (spotting, irregular periods, pms, anxiety, or what)..? I'd also like to know what you did to get them back on track..? I've been off the pill now for 5 months now and I have yet to get balanced with my hormones.. I've been spotting for 2 months now, accompanied with PMS and hair growth in weird areas (chin, neck).. Any personal stories of hormone Imbalances/treatments, whether from the pill, or whatever, would be quite helpful.. Thanks in advance.. :-)

Old 06-06-2003, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
My hormones were out of sync for years and my doctor suggested that i go on the pill. I carried the script around with me for over a year then went on the pill, then went off it due to too many side effects.

Finally i took the plunge and had acupuncture and now i wonder why i'd never thought of giving it a go before. It was an absolute thrill to have a normal period for once!! I learnt so much from the acupuncturist and a lot of it was just plain common sense. (I never knew that acupuncture for horses is a very big thing!!!! who would have thought!!!!)

It's a very ancient form of medicine and i like the fact it has helped me without having to resort to drugs from now till menopause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2003, 08:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

O wow, what a great story this is. I advocate the benefits of acupuncture a lot on these boards, so I am really pleased that you have had such great success with it.

It is great for helping hormone regulation and my first acupuncture treatment was for help with PMT, from which I had suffered for years. What a difference. After a few treatments I was like a new woman and then went for top up treatments in the week before my period and I had no problems at all and felt great.

I also use homeopathy too in conjunction with acupuncture and I find that the homeopathy has given me the longer term control that I also needed. It is worth exploring this possibility too. Also, Agnus Castus (Vitex) is very good for regulating hormones in the short term when you have just come off the BCP are your hormones are a little out of whack. If you combine both this herbal remedy with the homeopathy, the two can work very well together. The Vitex will help whilst you are waiting for the homeopathic remedy to work and take effect.

Good luck and again, what a great story about the acupuncture. I like it.

Old 06-06-2003, 08:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
You really should talk to your doctor. Weird hair growth isnt a normal sign of coming off the pill. It tends to be more along the lines of a sign of PCOS and a few other problems. Talking to your doctor about the hair growth and getting your hormones tested would be a good idea.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 06-06-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
I've had problems with my hormones since my son was born. I constantly feel like I am going crazy. I have severe anxiety. I am now back on pills and hoping they begin to work soon!!

Old 06-07-2003, 04:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Hi Sarah....yes, i'm ecstatic and the acupuncture didn't just help my hormones. The acupuncturist found i had a stressed spleen and some stomach problems and after just one session of acupuncture i couldn't believe the difference around my stomach area. Not that i would get HUGELY bloated before, but i did suffer some bloating after eating and before a period. Now i don't suffer any bloating and feel as though my midriff is so flat and weightless (it's a difficult sensation to describe, but felt as though i was so much lighter).

In my opinion, taking the pill to fix a hormone problem is only a band aid fix and even then how long will you be taking it? The various side effects are the worst and why put chemicals in your body which could be doing more harm than good.......better stop here, as you can see, i'm a convert to acupuncture

Old 06-07-2003, 07:25 AM   #7
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Yup...My Hormones whacked out on me when I stopped taking that BCP that women rave about to treat Acne...Ortho-Tricyclen..Girlfriend not meaning to sceeer you,but Ive had a Hormonal Imbalance 4 years after it started..I STILL have probs with it unless I take Provera routinely.

Now you may be talking about not being regulated yet,Im talking about Bleeding non-stop...Which one are you referring?

Old 06-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #8

eadreel2 HB User
After I stopped the pill I had those problems too. After about 7 years I went to the doc and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary syndrome. It is characterized by irregular cycles, weight gain (even tho you can be normal weight), abnormal hair growth, skin tags, acne, and a whole bunch of other symptoms. I would go see the doc and have your hormones checked to see if they are out of whack. One of the main reasons for a hormone imbalance is insulin resistance (kinda like pre-diabetes), and there are meds you can take to get everything back to normal, and it isn't birth control.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Yes, that is correct that PCOS is due to insulin resistance and yes you are also correct in that the BCP is not the med of choice in this case.

Most PCOS cases do not go onto develop full blown diabetes however. It is just that they have the insulin production from the Islets of Langerhans in the Pancreas, but the cells of the body are unable to utilise this insulin and without the insulin the cells cannot utilise the glucose either.

The med of choice in this case is normally Metformin, that helps the body to use the insulin effectively. However, one side effect of this, is that it can cause low blood sugar in some cases, especially in the morning.

Anyway, there are lot of natural therapies available out there that can help with PCOS, hormonal imbalances and anxiety when coming off the BCP. Acupuncture is brilliant for this and can help PCOS and hormonal regulation, also herbal medicine and homeopathy are great too.

Try it and see.

Good luck

Old 07-11-2003, 04:05 PM   #10

kbonnieboo HB User
Exclamation

Hi all!

FYI...birth control pills and prescription progestins like PROVERA are the absolute WORST ways to treat PCOS or almost any other hormonal imbalance. They make imbalances worse. Try natural progesterone cream (not wild yam) and vitex or any number of other treatments...

Also, recent research I've seen indicates that insulin resistance may only be a symptom of PCOS. Check out the information that's available online on ESTROGEN DOMINANCE. It's absolutely fascinating!

Good health...and thanks for all the great accupuncture info!

[This message has been edited by kbonnieboo (edited 07-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by kbonnieboo (edited 07-11-2003).]

Old 07-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #11

ritamymom HB User
I recently started taking progesterone lozenges (natural progesterone). I am taking quite a bit! The first month I had no problems, second month I had breakthrough bleeding at ovulation and this month, six days after my cycle stopped I started spotting and have not stopped since! It has been 17 days since my last cycle and I started back on the progesterone four days ago. (I take it days 14-28). My cycles have become regulated but, this breakthrough bleeding is the pits!! How long can this last? Does ones body adjust to it?
I am taking this for epilepsy and uncontrolled seizures. So far, I have definitely seen an increase!

R

Old 07-13-2003, 08:05 PM   #12

lazycat HB User
Audrey B

I was reading your reply to Qtpie23 above and I have hormome imbalance for who knows what reason but I've always have bloating in my lower stomach and it feels heavy. I never want to each much as I find it embarrassing and have to wear loose clothes all the time.

I am looking forward to seeing an acupuncturist at the end of August for this reason and the hormone, no period, hypothryroid problem.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-13-2003, 10:58 PM   #13

Hamer HB User
I have been on and off of the birth control pill for over 2 years. I have tried several kinds. I get off of them because they make me crazy, but then I don't get my period at all when I dont take them! I have been off this time for about 2 months and no period yet. I guess I will just have to wait it out. also, I have been very emotional lately because my hormones are all out of whack. I wish I had never gotten on that stuff in the first place!
Amber

Old 04-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
(female)

basstracker1970 HB User
Angry Re: Hormone Imbalance, Anyone..?

Hello, I have had my hormones out of wack for 1 year now after stopping birth control. I thought I would get pregnant immediately after stopping them but nothing. I cannot take birth control pills because they raise my blood pressure, so I dont really know what to do anymore. I really want another child.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Hormone Imbalance, Anyone..?

Wow, i found my replies to this post and it seems like such a long time ago. Well i was doing acupuncture and i thought it was working, but then my monthly cycles went crazy again. I was so elated when i thought the acupunture had brought back my proper cycle, but it sadly wasn't to be. I gave up afterwards and tried going on the pill, then went off the pill and just put up with irregular periods and spotting.

My next venture was seeing a naturopath and i went through 3 bottles of various concoctions to no avail. Each bottle lasted nearly 2 months, so that means i was taking the drops for virtually 6 months.

I'm now giving Agnus Castus/Vitex a go. Have only been on this for about one month and i'm keeping notes on my progress so that i can compare each month. Something has to work.

As for the acupuncture, when i was having this procedure done it didn't really hurt. Some friends have been to see a Chinese man and he says that if it doesn't hurt then it's not working.

I'm confused about what to do and who to follow. Maybe it's due to me having had this for quite a number of years now and maybe it will take a long time for some form of treatment to work. I don't mind irregular periods, i just can't handle the spotting/break through bleeding as it's very disruptive when it comes to eg: social activites, holidays and being sexually intimate with one's partner, not to mention the expense and inconvenience of going through boxes of panty liners!!

If anybody has any other ideas, please post

Closed Thread