It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

Kdreamnyc HB User
Who Tests Hormone Levels?

Can someone please tell me who I should go to, to get my hormone levels tested? Would this be a gynocologist or endrocrinologist?

Starting at a young age I have felt this sort of foggy, out of body feeling.. that heightened in my teen years. I felt completely inbalanced with severe anxiety/ depression. I have had my thyroid tested and the ordinary blood tests. Was wondering if this could be hormonal?

Someone-please help!

Thanks,
Kyra

Old 01-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Who Tests Hormone Levels?

Not sure it would be hormonal at such a young age. But if it would put your mind at rest to get it checked out, it would be worth while.

I sought out a gyno that treats with natural hormone replacement. They sold me a saliva test kit ($300, some of which was reimbursed by my insurance). I did the test at home and mailed it in. The results were sent to her and she is treating me with natural hormone replacement (all mine were low). It was done through Labrix Clinical Services. I believe a company called ZRT Laboratories also does them. You could probably do a search and find information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User

kyra, I'm so glad that you brought that question up. I've been wondering about this myself. My docs, to include my GYN keep telling me there is no such lab test for this. When I know there has to be. I know there is the TSH or what is also called the Thyroid levels. They also can run a free T3 an T4 which is more accurate. I wanted an actual hormone level! So, katidid thanks for responding. I will bring that up. I had to have a TVH at 27 and have NEVER had mine checked to date and have asked on numerous occasions. I'm now 36...almost 37. I'm wondering if this is not the reason for which I have so many arthritic problems and such. Basically a womans body starts to shut down and age after a Hysterectomy. I was put into surgical menopause about 23 or so years early. Wonder why the docs told me there is no such test. ...or told me they didn't know what it was called. If they didn't then they should have looked it up. After all, that's what they get paid the big bucks for , right???

Old 01-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
(female)

Kdreamnyc HB User

Thank you so much for responding as well! You may be right that it wouldn't be hormones at a young age- but it has to be some sort of chemicals! I wish there was a test for all chemicals!

Arghhhhhhh!

Old 01-13-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

You should try your gyno for the tests. They can order blood or saliva tests.

If there is a good endo they are usually the best for hormones, but most of the endos do not specialize in hormones. They prefer sugar problems. Many endo doctors know very little about hormones.

Read Suzzane Sommers book, "The Sexy Years". It should be in the local library.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:23 AM   #6
(female)

Anita Porpoise HB User

In my experience, I went to 5 different Gynecologist, and some checked hormone levels, all in all they all concluded on their own that it was all in my head.

I went to ONE Endocrinologist appt. and they checked my thyroid levels, Prolactin levels, etc. And diagnosed me with a Pituitary Tumor and after surgery, Hypothyroidism.

Gathering the 5 Gyn's records, I found that the ones that tested my hormone levels had the same results as the Endo and did nothing about it. They didn't tell me or refer me.

Due to relocations, I have gone to several different Endocrinologist and I swear by them. They have taught me a lot as well.

Medicine and treating ones health is NOT an exact science. And doctors know a lot, but they don't know it all.....no one does. You must participate in your health and get informed.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
(female)

busdriver HB User

If your doctor is telling you there is no such tests for hormone levels that
should be an indication that a switch might be needed!!! My gyn and
family doc both test for all levels, estrogens, testosterone, progesterone,
cortisol and thyroid tests. You can also go to a compounding pharmacy
and request the saliva testing and they will help you with your levels and
compound hormones that are right for you. I have had good luck with
the compounded hormones and my pharmacist is very good at working
with my doctor.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
(female)

jths98 HB User

I have heard this before....what is a COMPOUNDING pharmacy?? And how much does it cost for them to test your saliva??

Thanks...jths98

Old 03-05-2006, 04:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

A compounding pharmacy can custom mix/compound a prescription for various levels of hormones. Prices vary from pharmacy topharmacy depending on volume of prescriptions.

Saliva test will run from About $30 per individual test to $100 per test. ZRT is one of the large mail order & internet saliva test labs.

Closed Thread