It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User
Unhappy Terrable, unbarable period & pms, should i take some kind of hormone blancer?

peopel keep suggesting that i take some sort of hormone blanacer, or BC, and i didnt concider untill revcently. i cant stand them anymore! (my periods) im naesus, and i ahve killer cramps, a fever, restlessness, im not as grumpy as most girls i guess, i also get a killer headache. i get pms a week and a half early, and my period lasts for 6-8 days, this does not sound normal to me, even if my mom has similar problems, her periods arent as bad as mine.
im only 16, and my period started changeing again right around my brithday, a few months ago, though it started when i was 12. someone suggested the naesia was just a phase, but more people suggest that i need to take some sort of hormone balancer. im going to my docter soon, and ill talk aut it with him then.

can anyone give me any information on this subject?

Old 01-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Terrable, unbarable period & pms, should i take some kind of hormone blancer?

I started my periods when I was 10. They were very heavy and lasted 7-10 days. Had ot take iron supplements because I was bleeding so much and I think they just made it worse. I finally got on the pill when I was about 22. What a relief! My periods went to 5-6 days and were much lighter for most of that time...although I still did have some heavy flow. But it was never like before. Talk to your doctor. They can help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User
Re: Terrable, unbarable period & pms, should i take some kind of hormone blancer?

thanks,

i heard the pill has some bad side effects.. which is why i hadnt concidered untill recently. i have a very, very, very light flow, ive never met anyone with a flow like mine, its almost rediculous, if it were heavy it wouldnt last 8 days xP; i think.. i already take iron vitimims, theyhelp, becuase im slightly annemic. ill look more into BC with my docter next time i see him, though.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi, im 24! my periods like thaT! i get anxiety few weeks before etc

Old 01-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriltones
hi, im 24! my periods like thaT! i get anxiety few weeks before etc
so your saying its normal, not a hormone problem? or.. just saying you have the same problem?

Old 01-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

i dont know! i hope i havent got hormone problem
mine changed after had my son, i aslo have fibromylagia whcih might contribute to mine! let me know how you get on xx

Old 01-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Since I was 13 I always suffered from severe mentral cramps or Killer Pian like you said, irregularity and so on.
I would try the Pill to see if it will help. Also an Anti Inflamitry for the pain. Does Endo run in your family?? Even if it doesnt I would talk to your doc about it.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
(female)

luckyhope HB User

I think that it's normal. I got my period at 12 and as I got older it got heavier and the cramps got more intense. I also get pms 1 week or more before I get my period. I think it has something to do with you becoming more fertile. The same thing happened to my sister who now pops out babies like nobodies business. If you're periods are irregular( getting them infrequently, etc...) that is a harmonal problem. If you get alot of bleeding soaking through a pad in an hr. getting breakthrough bleeding in between periods than you should get your overies checked because you could have fiberoids. If the only problem you have is intense period symptoms that's just a part of being a woman but birth control does help the symptoms to be a little less intense.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi Luckyhope
From my experiance, having very severe mentral pain is NOT normal. It may very well be an underlying cause, such as in my case of Adenomyosis. Yes, the docs will put you on the pill to help get you regulated, help for menstral pain, and to lessen the period. In my case it got me regulated (my period just came when it wanted too) it made my period lighter and lasted only 3 days instead of 7-12 days, uit also stopped my clotting, it also helped with the severe ovulation pain, but did absolutly nothing for my period pain. friom what I understand if it does nothing for the peiod pain then there is a good chance it is Endo related such as my Adeno that I had.

As for having irregular periods, yes that is also not normal. I dealt with that too along with severe ovulation pain. It turns out the severe ovulation pain was constant ovarian cysts.AKA PCOS.
i also agree with you about the bleeding. If it is soaking through then yes get checked out for Fibroids, but they are not in the ovaries they are in the uteris.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
(female)

nr2go HB User

More then likely if you have suffered from painful periods since puberty you have what is known as Primary Dysmenorrhea. If you google "Primary Dysmenorrhea" you should find a description of it along with a list symptoms. Problem is that doctors really don't have a solution for it except the BCP and that's only because it "seems" to work.

Here's one for you I'm 52 years old and have gone through this since puberty. I've been on the pill and that work, but evertime I went off the pill the pain came right back. The pain was so sever that I was taken to the hospital a number of times because of it. There was never any evidence of a physical reason for this I was just one of those women that had it. I took pain killers along with ibuprofen when I wasn't on the pill. Those helped, but not that well.

My OBGYN had been trying to get my to go off the pill, but she wasn't one that agreed with prescribing pain killers. That worried me, because I still have painful periods. A friend of mine told me about some natural herbs that might work so I started looking into them. I came across an OTC product (Estroven) that had some of what she had told me about. I started taking Estroven about a month before I decided to stop taking the pill. It was the best decision I ever made! I have been pain free for about 1 1/2 yrs now and yes I still get my period! It may or may not work for you, but it's worth a try. I take the regular strength every day. I wish I had this available to me when I was your age.

Find out what your doctor says. If he/she can't give you an answer and you don't want to take the pill then try the Estroven. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
(female)

Alyna25 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Terrable, unbarable period & pms, should i take some kind of hormone blancer?

Have you researched PMDD, pre menstral dysphoric disorder? Sorry if it's not spelled correctly, I have some depression/anxiety issues for years and I've just now linked it to my periods. I get extremealy irritable and anxiety ridden before my period, I also get diarreah and stomach upset. Before i had my baby they tried to diagnose me with chrons diseases and IBS, I had a laperscopy done and I had endo on my bowels causing me to have the diareah around my period. They cleaned up the endo and i was fine for a couple years, then I just had a baby last may. Now I feel the endo may be coming back. I can't take hormones because I'm already an emotional person and i don't handle mood swings well, I hear that after three months of being on a b/c pill you adjust and the mood swings goes away but I have other issues in my life such as money and school and career issues that I can't afford to loose three months of my life to being godzilla. so now I'm thinking of going with a copper IUD for B/C because is has no hormones and then I'm also taking prozac every day and then xannax as needed for the irritablity/anxiety durring my period and the time before my period. I've tried others before like zoloft, effexor xr, celexa, and welbutrin. I must say the effexor helps alot with physical pain, it helps with norepinehrine, which is a chemical in the brain that helps with pain. My doc says that zoloft and prozac are the only two right now approved for PMDD. the zoloft made me feel like a zombie and it took me till noon every day to wak up. but that was only after I got on the max dose of 200mg after I had my baby and had postpartum depression, so then I tried effexor, great for energy and phyiscal pain, but did nothing for my anxiety or irritablity, so the doc says it's okay for some to be on two anti-deprsants at a time, lots of people are starting this combo, they all work differently, just like b/c pills, the prozac took six weeks to get into my blood stream but it's working for me! I took a huge step and just gave two weeks notice to a place I worked for seven years that I hated but stayed for the $ and the benefits for my family, after the prozac kicked in I'm so calm about this huge career change in my life that I've wanted to do for four years and it's all falling into place. My life is coming to gether after five years of hell! What i plan on doing is staying on the prozac and taking the effexor durring my PMDD phases for the menstral and physcial pain with PMS and just keep on the prozac regularly and then xannax as needed. It took me almost five to seven years to find out what meds finally worked for me and what my real problem was, as I never believed I had true depression, I just had unberrable mood swings. sorry this is so long but after five years I'm finally on the right track. All those years the docs didn't want to give me prozac cause it takes so long to build up in your blood stream, or it's an old school drug and they want to try the new stuff, whatever, whatever, actully I never asked for prozac, I felt it was the dinasore of anti-depressants. No wonder it's been on the market so long and is one of the only SSRI's approved for children; so what does that tell you about it? Good luck I hope you find the right combination of hormones/ non-hormones or whatever action you decide to take!

Old 03-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #12
(female)

nichole83tn HB User

This is a little personal but during your period is it painful when you go to the bathroom? Or do you have diareah? Is your pain so bad it prevents you from doing anything especially the first day of your cycle? If so you might want to ask your doctor to look you over for endometriosis.. and although it is rare in young women its possible. When I was 14 my periods were so bad I had to miss school once a month but I went to the doctor got diagnosed and got treated..Hope this helps

Old 03-28-2006, 12:42 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

my periods are not irregular, actually, theyre like clockwork, the 8th of every month for atleast 8 months now, maybe a year.

i do not have breakthrouh bleeding, and i have like.. the lightest flow to ever exist x__x; i cant even use tampons.

i had ovarian cysts fro 3 months about a year ago maybe..? they disolved "normally" my docetr said, and hes checked once sense then, i still have none.

i looked into Primary Dysmenorrhea, and that Definitly sounds right, atleast, so far, im tryingto find more info.

whatever is wrong with me, my mom has it too, and i got it from her.

tylonal makes the cramps tollerable.. but i hate takeing it, becuase.. well.. its tylonal. i sometimes use it, herbs, or pamprin.

ive talked to my docter alot before, hejust says "its just genetic, from your mother, nothing to worry about, just take pamprin" but pamprin makes me too tired, so i usualy dont..

Old 03-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole83tn
This is a little personal but during your period is it painful when you go to the bathroom? Or do you have diareah? Is your pain so bad it prevents you from doing anything especially the first day of your cycle? If so you might want to ask your doctor to look you over for endometriosis.. and although it is rare in young women its possible. When I was 14 my periods were so bad I had to miss school once a month but I went to the doctor got diagnosed and got treated..Hope this helps
when i was younger often did have diareah the day befroe my period started, but not anymore, and im lactosintollerant and didnt used to know, so thats very likley to be why.

my cramps.. well, yes, actually.
for teh first two days im doubled over in pain, even with my heating pad on high, i cant even go to school, i kept wondering what "endo" was x_x; thanks for being teh frist perosn to Finally say teh whole name.. now i can look it up <3

no.. i deifnitly dont have endo, my sympoms do not match at all, theres no change in bowl stuff, im fertil, i have extremly light periods, though bleeding doeslast for 6 days, and they are very very regulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyna25
Have you researched PMDD, pre menstral dysphoric disorder?
i have OCD & anxiety disorders, buttehy are not period related, the only differnce in my mood during my period is that im often emotional i.e. crying or getting ****** for a tiny/silly reason, but thats totally normal,

Last edited by iyami; 03-28-2006 at 01:04 AM.

Closed Thread