It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
(female)

jamski767 HB User
Unhappy facial hair problems ..could it be hormones??

ok, im a 20 yr old female ..and i have a huge problem with facial hair. ever since i was young, i always noticed the hair on my face, when i was about 13 ..i started bleaching the hair all over my face, eventually going to depilatory creams, then about 6 years ago i started shaving, and eventually increased to everyday shaving. its horrible now, i have facial hair like a man. if i shave my face smooth before i go to work ...by the time i get off, i have stubble ...its ridiculous.

so about a month ago, i go to a med spa, and i try laser hair removal.. and i couldnt take it AT ALL. it hurt sooo bad, i was crying the lady had only done 4 small swipes with the laser, and i couldnt take anymore.. and i even used the numbing cream they sale you there, i just dont know what to do ..

the lady doing the laser procedures there asked me if i had ever been checked for hormones, i said no ..but thats something that i have always wondered. i dont have any insurance right now ..or the money to go to the doctor and get tested. i was just wondering has any women went through the same thing i have been going through?? ...i just dont know what to do, i even hair some hair on my chest, not bad though, just dark

and to all the girls out there ..that have unwanted hair ANYWHERE ..DO NOT SHAVE!!

Old 07-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
(female)

jamski767 HB User
Re: facial hair problems ..could it be hormones??

she also had asked me if i had ever looked into getting checked for pcos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I have had a facial hair problem like you for all of my adult life, I have never shaved it and mine is stubbly so you probably didnt cause it to be bristly, it just is thats all hun xxx
I can't wax as it gives me boils, dep creams just burn my skin off, I really used to hate myself in my younger days.

I have discovered that I can actually rub away the hairs with a hair removing mitt. I have to do it every 4-5 days but it seems to work a treat.
they are called silky mitts here in the uk (99p from superdrug) I dont know what the alternative may be called where you live, it resembles fine emery paper and you rub gently in circular movements. I also pluck out any strays that appear on my chin everyday. I feel more confident now.

I have also been tested for PCOS as I have hypothyroidism but it came back negative.
I know it gets you down at times, but I have finally reached the stage where I am starting to accept that there could be far worse things wrong with me than facial hair.
sending you best wishes
daisy xxx

Old 08-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
(female)

lilium HB User

!!!!

i know how you must feel, but lucky for me i'm so vain i didint let it get as bad as you, sounds like you could have the same problem as me, too much testosterone... that's being positive, i hate to scare you but here it goes:

the tests and all that stuff will probably be a bit expensive, but its worth it, not only u'll know what your problem is, and be able to find a solution to this annoying little cosmetic thing, but u will also make sure its not something serious, why do i say that? well coz i had all those test a few years ago, if i remember correctly it could be as serious as something in your ovaries or a gland that i forgot the name at the moment and need surgery, to just having bad luck like me, and there is a small chance that you are just hairy, depending on your ethnic group and all that, but it sounds a bit too much for me to be that.

so go to a good Endocrinologist as soon as possible

i'm currently in laser treatment, and the pain depends on how strong the hair is, if it was that painful that means u do in fact have very very thick hair, and this will suprise you, but the doctors have told me that shaving is not to blame, in fact the woman from laser recomended it.

before you say that i'm making this up, i know it sounds strange, but whats happening to you, is that your problem is getting worse, thats what's really making the hair grow thicker, not the blade, a woman with no facial hair can shave lets say... her chin (lets imagine its an experiment or she wishes to have hair there for some reason) the hair might grow a tiny bit darker coz it will be new hair that hasnt been 'naturally bleached' by the sun, but she will never grow a beard.

if after u checked (and its only a stetic problem) cant start your treatment right away, talk to your doctor and explain, maybe he/she can prescribe some pills that can help you control a bit, and vaniqa (i've heard is good) this would at least make it a bit more bareable, not having to depilate/shave that often

NOTE: dont use any metod that gets rid of the hair by ripping it off, like wax, tweezers, and all that, i'm responding real fast to the laser treatment, and those hairs are the ones that are giving me hell actually, it might be tempting coz they go for longer, but at the end is not worth it.

this post is too long so if you have any more questions let me know good luck

Old 08-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Do you have any other symptoms besides the abnormal hair growth? I have PCOS and I too have abnormal hair growth as well as many other symptoms that come along with it.

If you do suspect a hormonal imbalance, it would be in your best interest to see a doctor. If you did have something like PCOS, it could be detrimental to your health if left untreated. PCOS can lead to other health problems if not treated such as diabetes, heart problems, infertility, cancer of the reproductive organs........so on and so forth. The problem with PCOS is that oftentimes women are insulin resistant, which left untreated can develop into diabetes, which can manifest into a number of other health issues. Also, many PCOS women have problems with weight gain, and we know how unhealthy obesity is for our bodies. See where this is headed? There are a number of other health related issues that you are at risk of developing if you just let it go............as far as PCOS goes anyway.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Yes, high testosterone and/or low estrogen can cause abnormal body & facial hair growth.

I am male & have the opposite problem. Little upper body hair growth & no facial hair. Low testosterone & high estrogen.

All can be corrected, mine is now under control.

It is hard to find a good doctor that understands male & female hormones.

Closed Thread