It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

cathydownunder HB User
high cortisol, high testosterone, low progesterone

Just wanted to post a few results to hopefully get some feedback and advice.
On my salivary hormone tests my cortisol levels were high on the midday and 10pm samples and extremely high on the 6am and 6pm sample.
My E1 and E2 were Ok but my progesterone was low and testosterone very high. These tests were done by my pain management doc actually who likes to treat not only pain but the whole person/underlying problems.
He has put me on compounded progesterone cream and herbal pills for the nervous system to try and help the cortisol problem. I really need some help as I sleep very poorly and am always really cranky and anxious.
My thyroid levels were low but just within the "normal" range, and I have a problem storing iron so need to take supplements.
All these combined are making me think there's an adrenal or pituitary problem, there's no point treating each symptom without finding the root cause is there?
Anyone else had this combination and what did you do?

Old 12-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User
Re: high cortisol, high testosterone, low progesterone

The compounded progesterone should help balance your hormones to the proper ratio. Were your testosterone levels over range? how much?

Some women naturally have high testosterone, called tomboys here in the states. My wife is like that. She played sports, to win, most of her life.

Have you been to the Green Island beach?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
(female)

joanie68 HB User

have you been tested for cushing's disease? this can be cause of high cortisol and is often overlooked. it is rare. i just saw a discovery health special about it and the woman they profiled went for 5 years without a proper diagnosis - they removed a small benign tumor off of her pituitary and she is fine now - she had gained lots of weight, was anxious, moody - it had destroyed her life.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
(female)

cathydownunder HB User

Yes, Jin, we're called tomboys here too! The crazy thing is I hate violence and am very much a pacifist which totally contradicts myself! My testosterone was 128 (normal 15-90)
Joanie,I've also thought of possible Cushings disease but don't have the telltale round face although I do have a rounded middle.Then again I'm 46 y/o, had 2 kids and back surgery through an abdominal incision in July, so I partly blame that.
I also had an endometrial ablation in April this year and am wondering how much blame to put there. I had the best outcome and have no period now.
I saw my regular doc this morning and showed him the saliva test results, asking him what he thought. He doesn't put much faith in them unless they're backed up by blood tests, so now I don't know who to listen to.
I've had 2 surgeries already this year, thyroid nodules (benign) and lots of painful diagnostic tests and treatments,I feel like a hypochondriac!

Last edited by cathydownunder; 12-28-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Closed Thread