It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
(female)

desertgirl5555 HB User
Unhappy Progesterone Levels

I had complete bloodwork done and everything is fine except my progesterone level is 0.5. My doctor said it is very low. I was wondering if anyone knew what a normal level is? Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to desertgirl5555 For This Useful Post:
Macscot (01-09-2012)
Old 05-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
(female)

cutieshirl HB User
Re: Progesterone Levels

Sorry, I don't know but do you take any other hormone pills? I am taking estrogen as well as progesterone and am thinking of stopping due to the weight gain in the middle.......I hate that part!!! Been on it for about 2 months or so and feel like a blimp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

On what day of your cycle did you go? Regardless you are still low but how low is the question.

Progesterone:
Days 1-10 0.2-1.4
Days 11-20 3.3-25.6
Days 21-30 4.4-28.0
Postmenopausal 0.0-0.7
Pregnancy 1st Tri 11.2-90.0
Pregnancy 2nd Tri 25.5-89.0
Pregnancy 3rd Tri 48.4-422.5

I went on days 21-30 and my progesterone was negative 0.02 My doctor tried to give me Provea but I did not want to get pregnant so I asked him to put me back on Desogen. He gave me the name brand which is OrthoCept I was on Desogen for over 10 years then changed cause I had migraines. I was put on Loestrin FE 24 gained 22 lbs in 2 months and my progesterone is now wacky.

I taking the Ortho Cept and going for a blood test in a couple of weeks. If it's not back on track or getting higher then I am to take the Provera with the BCP. I refuse to take the Provea only cause the risk of getting pregnant is to high.

cutieshirl If your progesterone is low 99% of your weight gain will be in your mid section. Low progesterone levels lead to recurring aches and pains.Progesterone is essential for the healthy development of the myelin sheath which protects the nerve cells. Progesterone deficiency results in bone loss. Estrogen dominance increases the risk of fibroid

Cancer of the womb develops only where there is estrogen dominance. The risk of stroke and heart disease is increased dramatically when a woman is estrogen-dominant.

Low progesterone cause anxiety and irritability,breast tenderness,carbohydrate cravings,early miscarriage ,infertility/not ovulating
insomnia ,irregular periods ,lower body temperature ,menstrual cramps, mood swings, ovarian cysts, fibroids, puffiness/bloating, water retention , weight gain - hips/middle

My estrogen is low too but only by 3 points. Isn't being a female so much FUN?

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-20-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added a question

Old 05-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

cutieshirl HB User

I am taking progesterone as well as estrogen, I guess I should see about getting the levels checked and dose increased.....waiting on thyroid results too.....will keep everyone posted, all the symptoms are clearly me, but I guess taking the progesterone is not high enough or how long does it take to build up in the body?

Old 05-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
(female)

desertgirl5555 HB User

Wow, it's nice to know that I am not the only one going thru all of this, but I am sorry to see that we are so many! As far as my menstrual cycle. I had a hysterectomy last year and have not felt the same since. I have all the symptoms of low progestrone. Thanks for all of the info.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-20-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Do you have a copy of your levels?

Estrogen:
Days 1-10 61-394
Days 11-20 122-437
Days 21-30 156-350
Post Menopausal <40
HGM Treatment for Ovulation:
Inducton 400-800

While your at it might want to test your Cortisol too.

female testing in the AM 4.3-22.4
female testing in the PM 3.1-16.7

I tested in the PM around 2pm and had a result of 11.2

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-20-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
(female)

desiii HB User

Ladies, this probably doesn't need to be said since it sounds like you are all very well read on the subject. But I'll point it out for anyone else reading this thread who may not know. There is a huge difference between progestin (synthetic progesterone) and bio-identical progesterone. Progestin has a lot of very serious and even sometimes life-threatening side effects and should be avoided whenever possible. Unfortunately a lot of doctors don't even know the difference between the two types. So we should all be careful to research products we're prescribed before we take them.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Thank you. My doctor informed too.
Nothing is equal to the progesterone that your body makes. I need progesterone and I've taken many BCP that have had many types of progesterone and synthetic ones too. I have this problem cause I was on Loestrin FE 24 which has little progesterone in it. I don't care what kind I take as long as my progesterone levels go back up. The problems from lack of progesterone are the same. Heart attacks, bone loss etc.

The same can be said from lack of estrogen or estrogen dominance.

BCP can make your cholesterol high as well. There are many things good and bad that go along with taking BCP. It sucks but when the body needs to be leveled off ya have to take the good with the bad.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-20-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-21-2007, 05:36 AM   #9
(female)

cutieshirl HB User

I am curious how many women have found a significant weight gain in their middle and on the scale? I think for me its about 5 pounds for sure. I am seriously thinking of going off of them as my dr said it was only temporary, but how would he know when I am sufficiently stable on the hormones? I have started taking Vitamin B complex and 5HTP to help me and my mind, it seems to be working as well. Now hopefully the carb cravings will settle down..........

Old 05-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

It's only 5 pounds. If you go off the hormones and your need progesterone it's highly possible that you will gain 10-30lbs. Lacking progesterone can cause PCOS. Once you get PCOS you keep it for life. I'd rather have extra weight than PCOS.

Studies in women demonstrate that PMS, menopausal problems, endometrial cancer, breast cancer, excess fat, PCOS, thinning hair, fibroid, osteoporosis, and fibro-cystic breasts have a direct correlation with estrogen dominance. Doctors blame excess estrogen for 80%of the problems women have.

When I switched to Loestrin FE 24 I developed fibroid,& excess fat in the 7 months I was on it. When I only eat 1200-1500 cal a day and do cardio for 2 hours a day I should be loosing wait but NO. I haven't any progesterone in my body so I can't shed a pound. I have finally stopped craving sugar. That was the toughest thing to deal with on Lo FE 24. Now I crave vinegar and salt things. I can't get enough pickled string beans, V8 juice or roasted tomatoes.

There is the progesterone cream but as time goes on, the cream accumulates and stays in the fat cells and contributes to disruptions in the adrenal hormones such as DHEA, cortisol, and testosterone. Then you have a whole different problem.

If I never would have switched my BCP I bet I would not be in this predicament. I think the doctor should check every woman's hormone level BEFORE they write a scrpit out for BCP. How do they know what level of pill to give us if they don't know what our levels are. Once we've been on them a long time and have break through bleeding they want to switch us again. Shouldn't they test us to see which hormone is low before just saying "try this pill and see how you do"?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
(female)

desertgirl5555 HB User

I do have a copy of my blood work and my cortisol is 24.4 in the am, it's high I know but I have become overweight in the past year. What is PCOS?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome AKA Stein-Leventhal Syndrome or Polycystic Ovary Disease

Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi,
I thought I would chime in here. I am peri-menopausal (48 yrs old) and have been getting my period very close together for almost two years. My GYN has been saying it's a prgesterone deficiency, and even though I haven't had that tested, I tend to agree with everything I've read.

Last month my cycle was only 13 days apart, so she suggested I take provera - yes that's a progestin. I did alot of reading on the differences between this and the bio-identical hormones(which usually are a cream).
I was very worried about going on the provera, but I started it this month, and I haven't had any side effects as of yet. I'm only on 10mg for 12 days of my cycle.
I think the plan is to only take it for 3 cycles, and then see what happens. I've had ovarian cysts on and off for two years also, and I'm hoping this may help that also.
As far as extra weight - I gained over the winter months (while not taking anything) and am starting an exercies program again, so I'm starting to loose a bit now.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:41 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

WHOOT I AM A WOMAN AGAIN.

Aunt Flo came to visit after 5 months. She's a bit late she was suppose to arrive this past Suday. Better late than never. It's not a great visit. Not as dramatic as I thought since she's been away I thought for sure she'd flood me. This is only the first day so maybe she'll let loose in the next couple of days.

Sadly my progesterone levels are not high though. I had them tested yesterday and my progesterone was 0.04 and it should have been for days 21-30 levels 4.4-28.0 I'm in the post meno pausal range. I did not take the Provera I just changed my BCP so this month I'm to take the Provera with the BCP and then go back and get my levels checked again.

EDIT: forgot to say that my cholesterol was 245 it was 285 so in 4 weeks it went down 40 points all from chaning by BCP.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 06-01-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #15
(female)

aquari33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl5555 View Post
I had complete bloodwork done and everything is fine except my progesterone level is 0.5. My doctor said it is very low. I was wondering if anyone knew what a normal level is? Thank you.
Hi, my book says normal is<2.6 in follicular phase and 2.6-10.6 in Luteal phase.
Oral contraceptives could be to blame. I was on Yasmine, which has a high dose of a type of progesterone. Even when I went off it I felt awful for 6 months. Maybe it took my body a long time to get the levels back up...or UP wasnt even close to what the pill was so I had to get used to Normal.
Then, when I got pregnant and of course my progesterone levels rose alot...I was sooooooo sick and having really really low BP's.
I wish I wouldve known more about hormones before.

Closed Thread