It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
(female)

melody81 HB User
elevated testosterone and dhea (in female)

Anyone know what kinds of conditions would make a female have elevated levels of testosterone and dhea? I had some blood tests back in may and that's what they confirmed.

My regular doctor thinks it's PCOS (based on my other symptoms) but the endocrinologist is not so sure and wants to do several more tests. I don't go back for more bloodwork until monday and those results will probably not be back until a week after that, so it's going to be a while before I get some answers. Does anyone else have this problem with hormone levels?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User
Re: elevated testosterone and dhea (in female)

PCOS is the new favorite problem.

He may want an MRI of the thyroid or pituitary to see if it has a tumor.

Several things cause "high" testosterone.

He will probably test the LH & FSH levels as well. Then maybe do a ultra-sound of the ovaries.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
(female)

geneva10 HB User

I'm in a similar situation as you are - just did my blood tests and I have really high DHEA-S levels. According to my Endo, these are possibilities ...

1. PCOS
2. Late Onset Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
3. Cushings Syndrome
4. Adrenal Tumor

Good luck getting a diagnosis and treatment!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
(female)

melody81 HB User

Thanks for the info. My doctor did mention it could be an adrenal or thyroid problem too. I already had an ultrasound done but I don't know the results of that yet. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me something more on Monday when I go in.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Ariesladi25 HB User

Hey there!

I saw your post and wanted to let you know, that a month ago i was diagonsed with the same thing....elevated testosterone and dhea. My dr's first response was, she wanted me to take a ct scan with contrast of the abdomen and pelvic area to see if i had an adrenal tumor. well, after being freaked out for a week, i did take the test and she claims everything looked normal,except a few cysts on ovaries wich she said is normal to have. she then gave me a bc called yaz and said come see me in the fall.

at this point i am still convinced there has to be something wrong to make these levels high. some of the symtoms i have experienced is facial hair, really bad and now a little bit of a skin disocoloration on upper lip, i believe from all the plucking. I did gain alot of weight over last 2 yrs and prior to that i lost alot as well. so she thinks from stress, and weight going up and down thats the cause for imbalance. i start the bc next week.... i really know i need to see an endo,this dr was a gyno and i feel still that there is something else causing this.. she claims that everything is normal .

hope this helped...please keep us updated!!!
take care,
ariesladi25

Old 07-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
(female)

melody81 HB User

Ariesladi25, thanks for your response

I think the CT scan of the adrenal is the next step for me. I was really thinking I had PCOS (I have the facial hair thing too) but they did an ultrasound of my ovaries and I just got the results back today. It was normal, so I guess they didn't find any cysts? I'm thinking they're now leaning toward an adrenal problem.

My gyno wanted to put me on bc pills b/c my periods were really irregular, but turns out my blood pressure is too high so I can't be on it. They think my hormone levels are what's making it so high. Which of course, just gives me another thing to freak out about.

I just want to know what's wrong with me. I'm like you...I know something is wrong if my hormone levels are this high. But I'll have to wait another week or so before I get the results back from my latest bloodwork. Oh well, I've been waiting since April to figure out what's wrong with me...what's one more week, right?

By the way, you mentioned you're just seeing a gyno. I think you should definitely see if your gyno can give you a referral to an endo. That's what mine did. I think it was a good choice b/c this doctor seems to be testing EVERYTHING, (adrenal, ovaries, thyroid, etc) which is sort of a pain going through all of these tests but at least she's thorough

Anyway...I'll keep you updated. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon!

Closed Thread