It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
(female)

5han HB User
Unhappy Blood Test Results: High Thyroid Levels

20 year old female here

A week ago I went to my doctor because I was feeling a little dizzy for a few days, exhausted, and I'd had anxiety issues for a while. I thought I had diabetes or cancer or something and I was so afraid to hear my blood test results. Today I called for them and my doctor said everything was within normal levels except that my thyroid levels were significantly elevated. Now he is referring me to an endocrinologist. After reading the symptoms of hyperthyroidism I find that its hit or miss. The symptoms I got off a website are:

# enlarged thyroid gland ----- Can't tell if I have this

# nervousness ---- I'm nervous 95% of the time.

# mental impairment, memory lapses, diminished attention span -----I've noticed I have a worse memory than I used to and I space out a lot.

# irritability --- my boyfriend notices this

# trembling hands ---- when I'm holding something with difficulty or trying to keep my hand very still...

# fatigue ---- often

# insomnia ----- mildly

# diarrhea ----- 50% of the time

# itchy skin ----- yes

# unexplained weight loss despite increased appetite ----ive always thought I just had a high metabolism

# heart palpitations ----- I get these and I also have an irregular heartbeat

# heat intolerance ----- can't STAND being in heat for too long. fainted 2 years ago.

# increased sweating ----- Always have sweatmarks under my armpits

# muscle weakness -----so so

# hair loss ------ I shed a lot

# increase in bowel movements ----- more than I used to

# decrease in menstrual periods ----- on the CONTRARY They were normal and heavy at times BUT since taking YAZ they are short. I've just quit YAZ so I can't tell on this one.

# eye irritation ----- My eyes are often a little bloodshot and scratchy but I always thought it was an allergy or from my contacts

# protruding eyeballs (Grave's disease only) ------ nope. I guess I don't have grave's disease.

----- So basically, I don't know. I feel I have these symptoms... but its just been ME and my little quirks for so long that I can't get myself to believe that I have an overactive thyroid.

Is it possible that my thyroid levels could have been temporarily heightened by stress or by my birth control pill? My doc said YAZ wouldn't interfere with a thyroid test though.

So I guess the next step is to find out what is CAUSING my thyroid to produce "significantly high" levels of thyroid stuff.

If you have hyperthyroidism, can you share what you noticed of your symptoms before being diagnosed, how you were diagnosed, what tests you had done, etc. I'd really like someone's support! There's not much to read on the internet about causes of a heightened thyroid level that I can find.

I suppose it's wonderful news that this is what is wrong with me and its not something life-threatening. It's wonderful that this can be treated properly. I just hope I can find the best doctors to help me with this because I'm sick of dealing with ignorant ones! (Been through a lot with these symptoms, especially the heart ones.)

How is everyones treatment going for this condition? Do you feel better? How long did it take???

Last edited by 5han; 09-04-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
Re: Blood Test Results: High Thyroid Levels

Just to let you know there is a thyroid board where you might get more help. Did your doc say you are hypERthyroid or hypO? If your TSH is elevated then you are HYPO. Many of the symptoms are the same for hyper and hypo. I was diagnosed as hypo and had many hyper symptoms. Insomnia, anxiety, dizziness, brainfog, loss of appetite, indigestion, tingling in left arm. Good Luck, it will get better!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

5han HB User

I think I was tested for T3 and T4. I haven't been tested for TSH levels but I supposed I will be when I see the endocrinologist. My T3 and T4 levels were high in my blood. So I guessed that meant hyPER? Overactive thyroid??? I don't know. Its very confusing. Some websites I looked at don't seem to know the difference between the two. haha

Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

No matter what you are tested for ALWAYS get a copy of the test results for yourself. Never let a doctor simply tell you "everything is ok".

You mentioned being on birth control. BCP actually deprives your body of your Vitamin B's and can also make you more tired, irritable, depressed among other things.

A lot of the thyroid symptoms are VERY similar to low ferretin levels (lack of iron). Did your doctor check your iron levels? In particular the ferretin levels are of more importance as iron goes up and down depending on what you ate so you can get varying iron figures on a blood test, whereas ferretin gives a truer reading of iron storage.

Closed Thread