It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
(female)

Angel31 HB User
Please help w/test results... my doctor is out of town

Hello-
I just received my test results back. My doctor is out of town for the next two weeks, but the clinic was able to fax me the test results. However, I need some help interpreting. I would really appreciate ANY input, as I won't know her opinion for a couple of weeks at least. (Must be nice to be a doctor!)

Estradiol: <0.5 (Range .5-2.2)
Progesterone: 15 (Range 10-53)
Ratio: 30 (Optimal 100-500)

Testosterone: 16 (Range 18-55)
DHEAS: 2.1 (Range 2-23)

Cortisol Morning: 9.6 (3.7-9.5)
Cortisol Noon: 2.0 (1.2-3)
Cortisol Evening: 1.3 (.6-1.9)
Cortisol Night: 1.3 (.4-1)

Free T4: 1.6 (.7-2.5)
Free T3: 3.7 (2.5-6.5)
TSH: 2.5 (.3-3.0)
TPO: 34 (0-150)

Once again, THANK YOU for any input. I do see that some of my hormones may be off, but the test harps on the fact that I am on BCP. However, the reference ranges are intended for that. My symptoms include fatigue, anxiety, depression, muscle aches/joint pain, carpal tunnel, frequent infections, sensitivity to cold, foggy thinking, migraines, NO sex drive, dry skin, hoarseness, and lightheaded upon rising/sitting. Thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
(female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User
Re: Please help w/test results... my doctor is out of town

Hey. I responded to your post over on the Thyroid Board only because I saw it there first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
(female)

Angel31 HB User

Hello-
Thank you for your response. I am posting on this board as well, as I am hoping to gain some more insight on my hormone scores.

The DHEA was interesting, because I am only 2.1. Since I am only 26, that score is extremely low. The lab report noted that this could be a sign of adrenal fatigue. However, I see that my coritisol levels are high...so I'm not sure how that fits in.

I see that you have PCOS. How exactly are you tested for this?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

High cortisol in the morning and at night is a sign of Cushing's. Being on BCP interferes with the testing and makes them lower as estrogen binds to free cortisol.
PCOS is often confused with it - but the NIH guidelines say Cushing's should be ruled out first but often doctors overlook it.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
(female)

Angel31 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpled View Post
High cortisol in the morning and at night is a sign of Cushing's. Being on BCP interferes with the testing and makes them lower as estrogen binds to free cortisol.
Thanks for your response! Let me see if I understand you correctly...being on BCP makes the cortisol scores lower? So, my cortisol scores could potentially be even higher than they already are? Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
(female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User

As far as PCOS, I am just on BCP, and have been for 2 1/2 years. My OB/GYN put me on BCP before ever checking my hormones. I was dx'd from an ultrasound. I actually just had my morning cortisol checked as well, and came back at 31.7 (5-25). I was told that this means I as well do not have adrenal fatigue, but there is no way that I have Cushing's as my cortisol is too low, and I don't have enough symptoms. However, I am currently in Thailand, but will be back in Philly in 3 days, so I'll be seeing another endo there and try and get something sorted out. Also, they checked my Estradiol again and it came back as <5 (30-120). The endo said that this is b/c the BCP suppresses my ovaries and tells them not to make Estrogen. I'm not to sure on that.

Sounds like we have a lot of the same problems (blood work wise) though, so it will be interesting to see what different doctors say about all this. Let me know if you find out anything useful!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

Your cortisol is HIGH, not low and deserves to be seen by an endocrinologist. It is not necessary to have all the symptoms to have Cushing's syndrome. Beleive me, when my tumor was first discovered in 1992, all I had was irregular periods and was tired. Over the years, it progressed to a lot more with purple stretch marks, weight gain, acne and more. But I never got high blood pressure, diabetes or some other symptoms. I was cyclical. The symptoms are all pretty non-specific anyway so I spent years treating them as symptoms but funny how nothing worked.
Get help.

Closed Thread