It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

treblalicious HB User
testosterone high for female

why is my testosterone high for female

Old 09-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
(female)

Italia 43 HB User
Re: testosterone high for female

dont feel bad my testerone is real high too.. You have to take other blood tests with an reproductive endocrinologist.. You might have thyroid or pcos.. Thats what i have..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

My testosterone was elevated, but not dangerously high. I also had low Cortisol levels in the morning and was suffering from adrenal fatigue. I also have a thyroid condition called Hashimoto's.

My doctor told me that low cortisol levels means the adrenal glands will borrow from the hormone testosterone, which then throws out your testosterone and it can actually come up over the maximum range on your test results.

I'd say there must be other reasons for high testosterone, but that's the only one i'm familiar with due to my medical issues.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

Cylon HB User

Hey there. This post is a few months old, so perhaps you've gotten some clinical answers to your problems. I too have an elevated testosterone level, elevated insulin and glucose. All my other hormones & lab results are within normal limits except my potassium (which has been easily corrected by oral supliments). I suffer from severe debilitating migraine, cluster and tension headaches, hypertension and generalized anxiety disorder. I also have impossible to control obesity and something new, horribly dry facial skin and arthiritis. I'm a mess and I'm only 35 years old!!!! Can anyone help me out here? Ideas and treatments suggestions are welcome!!!
So far I've only found a few treatment ideas and that is saw palmetto and a sugar free diet rich in protien and fiber.
Any suggestions, information, links, etc are very welcome.
I'd like to thank everyone who replies ahead of time.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Cylon - A lot of symptoms can belong to so many different conditions so it's very difficult to tell precisely what is going on. Often one thing is thrown out and it causes a type of domino effect which throws out any number of other things.

Firstly with your weight, has your weight always been an issue or did it occur suddenly? Have you tried eliminating all the bad foods, eating controlled portions and doing exercise? I ask this as someone i know does all the right things and can't lose anymore weight. She also has high testosterone as well as estrogen, but she has a form of insulin resistance too which means, from what i recall, that the tiniest amount of carbs she eats will store as fat rather than be burnt off as energy (or something along those lines). She does so much exercise and is so dedicated too so it's hard to see her put in so much effort and get no results.

Have you had any tests so far? With testing it depends on your doctor and how he/she interpret the results too. Some doctors feel you are fine so long as your results come back within the lab range. Yet where you are within the range might not be right for you as an individual. This occured to me with my thyroid and my hormone testing. It truly pays to keep looking for a good doctor who is willing to work through things with you and look outside the square.

Have you had your thyroid tested? You need to have TSH, T4, T3 and thyroid antibodies tested. The problem is that a lot of doctors base everything on your TSH results, telling you all is good, when in fact they should be looking at your actual thyroid hormones T4 and T3.

For other hormone testing, it's best when it's a saliva test, but a lot of doctors don't do those. If you must do a blood test make certain it's done in the morning and not late morning, lunch time or afternoon. All hormone tests are better done in the morning. Some people will put on weight with a hormone imbalance but others wont. From what i've read, it all boils down to where your particular problem is centred.

Have you tried eliminating certain things from your diet for at least one month to see whether you feel any better eg: all dairy and gluten containing foods. Sometimes food intolerances can cause skin conditions.

Have you had an internal and external ultrasound to rule out gyno issues eg: PCOS, fibroids, cysts etc. these are brought on by hormone imbalances a lot of the time too. Elevated estrogen can also bring on constant headaches and migraines.

It would be worth having a blood test to check certain vitamins and minerals also. Get your ferritin, B12, folate, Vit D, zinc plus anything else your doctor might suggest. I've read of low ferritin and Vit D causing aches and pains in people.

I've also heard of weight gain being as a result of malabsorption of nutrients. Your body thinks it's being starved so it stores fat rather than utilizing your food intake as energy. Malabsorption can be due to any number of things eg: food intolerance, insufficient digestive enzymes, gluten intolerance, some other illness.

That's about all the information i've got. You need to start with certain tests and always keep copies of ALL testing done. Keep them in a folder in date order so you can refer to them with other doctors who you might need to see. Wishing you all the best

Closed Thread