It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

dayandage HB User
high estrogen levels??

the way this came about is actually kind of silly. i've been blessed with very full lips. one of my friends made the comment that women with naturally fuller lips have more estrogen. being inquisitive as they come, i entertained this theory and actually google it. well, i didn't actually find out if it was true or not but i did stumble upon a few pages regarding 'estrogen dominance' and excessive estrogen. for the past eight months of so i've been having great difficulty with my periods and the symptoms of excessive estrogen actually fit!

about a week or so before my period...
WATER RETENTION - My body retains water like no other. My entire body swells, particularly my extremities. This month I gained about 15 pounds of water weight.
DEPRESSION - I have no desire to have any contact with the outside world and a complete sense of hopelessness washes over me
IRRITABILITY/MOOD SWINGS
IBS really flares up around my periods
IRREGULAR CYCLES

I always pretty much have a..
LOW LIBIDO (and i'm only 18)
FATIGUE I am always exhausted with 7/8 hours of sleep
FUZZY THINKING i've noticed while i am still as sharp, my recall is sort of impaired.
And this year I've developed ASTHMA, another symptom

my periods have always been really irregular -- even on birth control! (I started YAZ three months ago -- my pms symptoms didn't change the first two cycles, got worst the last though)
i was heavier when I was younger, but dropped the baby weight. I am on my track team and run 4-5 miles a day but I just can't kick the pocket of fat on my abdomen and thighs. I know to lower estrogen levels they recommend exercise, so thats really not my issue. If I don't run though, I am 10x more miserable and my pms is a lot worse.

one of the main reasons this is really worrying me is because excessive estrogen significantly raises a woman's risk for reproductive cancer/prostate cancer. my mom has breast cancer at a fairly young age and an overwhelming amount of my immediate family has had prostate cancer of some kind. I am going to my gynecologist this Thursday to discuss if I should discontinue birth control. Should I definitely express my worry or asked to be referred to an endocrinologist to have my hormone levels checked?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: high estrogen levels??

A lot of those symptoms actually fit thyroid issues. I've got the autoimmune thyroid condition called Hashimoto's and my thyroid is underactive. I also have excess estrogen.

I began experiencing abnormal hair shedding, then shortly afterwards my once regular and normal periods became very erratic. I would spot off and on for simply ages, then i'd finally get my period and it would last for a good week and a half, then i'd be back to the off and on spotting, then nothing for nearly two months. Then the entire saga would start all over again.

I was in despair and i knew something odd was going on. My gp kept saying my thyroid was normal. I went to an Endo who also said my thyroid was normal. As these guys were doctors and so called experts, i believed them. I then blamed all kinds of things on my condition, yet nothing i tried worked, no doctors could help me. They kept pushing me to simply go on birth control. I had tried BC pills, but had awful side effects. Anyway, BC pills are just a bandaid fix and can actually cause worse problems so i'm glad i stayed off them.

8 years later i was diagnosed with the Hashimoto's, which i later found out i'd had all along and it showed up on my test results from my Endo visit. I just wanted to cry. I was so depressed that a professional had declined to give me treatment due to him feeling that my thyroid results were "within range", yet i still had symptoms. I also had very high thyroid antibodies back in 2000 and the Endo ignored this. He was only interested in TSH.

Often thyroid issues are also accompanied by adrenal fatigue and the adrenals are making too little or too much of the hormone Cortisol. Mine was making too little and i had to go on medication. The adrenals are like a little hormone factory and if they aren't working well they can contribute to hormone imablance. If your thyroid isn't working well it can also disrupt the hormones. There are other issues which can also affect the hormones, but the area i'm more familiar with is what i've gone through and a lot of others on the thyroid board too.

It's a good idea to maybe get a thorough checkup. You should include a thyroid test too, which should include TSH, T4, T3 and Thyroid Antibodies.

Other things which can cause tiredness is low ferretin (iron storage), low Vit B12. If you are low in these there is a chance you can be low in Vit D.

Have you had an ultrasound to check for fibroids, or tested for PCOS?

I can't think of many other things, but hope some of these things give you a start. Hope you feel better soon

Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

Jeninden HB User

You might want to consider going to to an Endo and being evaluated for PCOS. I have all of your same symptoms and have gone through considerable frustration the past two years trying to get help. I finally insisted on seeing and Endo and viola, PCOS...not perimenopause, not in my head...PCOS. Even though I had some of the symptoms, I didn't have all. In fact, I've had three children and am not obese, so never ever considered PCOS. My doc was able to give a prelim diagnosis based on my FSH/LH ratio. This ratio should be 1:1 (ie: 6.2:6.4) - mine was 1:3. Somthing to consider. I feel so much better now that I'm on the meds to correct the hormonal imbalance. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
(male)

thefishguy HB User

Avoid bottled water, microwaving with plastics, and products that have an ingredient with any variation of "paraben".

You could try taking resversatrol, and eating flaxseeds. This can help control estrogen.

Closed Thread