It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

Freddie123 HB User
Question Still having periods in my 50's

I'm in my 50's and have the awful luck of still having periods every month. But my moods are unstable, I'm wacky most of the time, feel nauseated at times, and generally just feel bad 90% of the time. So far my gyn won't help as I still have cycles. I'm going to ask one more time on the next visit and see if he'll draw an FSH (TSH is fine) and give me something for at least the part of the month I'm the craziest. I have of course, other problems that just compound it all and things just seem to get worse and worse.

Does anyone else have cycles going on in their 50's? They're regular but make me feel like jumping off a cliff. If anyone is like this, what kind of help have you found?

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-30-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

Lolah HB User
Re: Still having periods in my 50's

St John's Wort and especially Chasteberry (Vitex Agnus Castus) in tabletform

It takes a few weeks but then you should notice a difference

Also cut down on or completely cut out soda (Drink [bottled] water and eat salads with selfmade lowfat dressings)

This has helped me immensely

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-25-2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
(female)

jasmarie HB User

I had regular periods into my mid 50's when my gyn told me I needed to be on HRT which at the time was Premarin. I argued with him and finally gave in and took the Premarin and was so sorry I did that. I quit taking it and went on natural bioidential HRT for a short time and now at age 60 I am starting the BHRT once again after several years of taking nothing. My periods finally did stop at about age 54 or 55. I am hoping to get on the right track this time around. One thing though, I never did have hot flashes, ever.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
(female)

stars13 HB User

jasmarie, why did you stop the bhrt the first time? i too went through menepause at 55, was on hrt for 1 month when all the talk started about the dangers of breast cancer started. my gyny took me off hrt and i have gone downhill since then.

i'm now 61 and the last 4 years have been plagued with fatigue, ill feeling, body aches, not joint but muscle pain, weight gain. i just feel terrible. have been dx'd with fibromyalgia, but i honestly don't believe it. i asked my gyny last month about bhrt and she said they are not prooven to be any safer then regular hrt. told me to go home and think about it, in other words she doesn't want to go there.

just seen a small part of dr. phil show where they were talking about bhrt and it sounded pretty good to me.

would appreciate your input since you were on them before.

thanks, stars

Last edited by Administrator; 04-12-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
(female)

jill60 HB User

stars13;

Find another Dr. My Mother is 75 & she is on BHRT. The BHRT I take is the closest thing to your own body producing. Is your Dr. young & had the chance to go through Menopause?
All my hormones were low, I was really weepy & my GYN's nurse told me that had nothing to do with hormones that I needed to see ANOTHER Dr.
I went through surgical menopause which is worse that doing it naturally.

Jill

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-21-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
(female)

stars13 HB User

Jill, you may be right and thank you for your response. She looks to be in her early 40s. She just keeps saying : " I don't want you to come back to me in 10 years and say why did you let me do this to myself." my grandmother had breast cancer in her 80s, but because of her age it didn't spread, they just removed the lump which actually was closer to her collar bone. no chemo or radiation. but she says that puts me in high risk. But most times i think it might be worth the risk, if the bhrt really helps.

i am very sensitive to meds so i am also a bit anxious about side effects. i have trouble with high blood pressure meds, side effects.

When did your mother start taking bhrt? Yes, i do believe that doing it your way is much harder, so abrupt, a real body shock.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
(female)

jill60 HB User

My Mother had always taken a pill form of hormones, she had her ovaries removed about 11 yrs ago. She just switched to the bhrt after she saw how well I did with them.
Also, we start producing estrogen in puberty, & then they blame breast cancer on Estrogen when we're in our 80's If the E causes breast cancer why does it take so long to develop it?
I am going through this now, I have a blood clot due to trauma, breaking my leg. My regular m.d. said no Estrogen, it makes your blood thick. What would they do to me if I was producing E on my own?
If for some reason they would say I can't go back on the hormones I am going to see if I can sign a waiver. I would rather live a better quality life while I am here, than sit around feeling rotten & crying!
My hormone Dr. & other women I have talked with say their Dr. started them low & then added. It may take you awhile to find your balance, don't get discouraged. Also it is hard to go by blood work, sometimes you need to go with your symptoms. Some find it right away, other women I know it has been a couple of yrs. but she thinks she is getting close. I was lucky & it only took me a couple of times.

Good luck in what ever you decide

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-23-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
(female)

jill60 HB User

I just lost everything I typed in to you!
My mom had her ovaries out 11 yrs. ago. She had been taking a pill from of hormones until I talked her into going to my bhrt Dr.
My mother is very fit & doesn't look her age. hormone Dr. said she couldn't stand to write my moms age down,she said my Mom looked 60.
We start producing Estrogen when we start puberty. How come we wait until we are 80 to get breast cancer? I am going through this now, I have a blood clot due to trauma from breaking my leg. My regular M.D. said no howmones. Estrogen makes your blood thick. What would they do to me if I was producing my own Estrogen?
I think if they say I can't go back on my hormones I am going to see if I can sign a waiver. I would rather have a quality life than sit in the house crying & feeling rotten. Usually the bhrt Dr. start you out low. I chat with this one gal, she said E hormones has always made her sick so she was worried about starting bhrt. She has not had a problem with being sick.
Sometimes it takes a while to find your balance. I know this one gal she has been 12 yrs trying to find what works for her but she now thinks she is getting pretty close!
Good luck in whatever you decide but believe me, you do not have to feel rotten going through Menopause!

Jill

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-23-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Closed Thread