It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

neochiq HB User
do I have a hormonal imbalance?

Hi all. I'm a 27 year old female. Here are some symptoms

the most recent and TERRIFYING was 2 bouts of night sweats. I was really really afraid because I read lymphoma is a cause of night sweats--but I searched for swollen lymph nodes and I don't find any.

Ok--so

night sweats (twice)

weight gain (I used to work out a lot but even when I didn't, I was pretty thin, and as long as I watched what I ate, I was fine---now? forget it...even when I eat WAY healthy...I don't lose weight...I still gain it...but I don't work out anymore even though I should

hair growth on face (like really gross under my chin almost like a beard--I usually nair it or cut it

tired all the time but not to the point that I can't function. I'm definitely able to do my daily activities but just.....I don't NEED a nap but it definitely feels good to take one...but I feel tired the second I wake up

lowered sex drive--been with him for 4 years but I would think I still have SOME desire...

anxiety up the wazoo...I'm always anxious about my health especially.

Muscle aches

Moody all the time...but that has been a constant

I have ALWAYS had irregular periods...

I'm not on birth control

alright...so with this stuff....along with the scary night sweats...does it sound like hormones? or does it sound like lymphoma???

HELP

Old 05-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: do I have a hormonal imbalance?

Hi neochiq - i dont really know much about lymphoma so can't say anthing about that.

Firstly, has your doctor done tests to check ALL your hormones? If not they ought to as that is the only way to rule out problems in the hormone area.

Secondly, get an internal and external pelvic ultra sound done to check for PCOS, fibroids, endometrial thickening and whatever other issues can arrise down there.

Thirdly, get a FULL thyroid check up, eg: TSH, FT4, FT3 and Thyroid Antibodies to rule out a thyroid autoimmune condition.

Fourthly, get a full blood test for whatever else your doctor feels necessary but also include Vitamin D, Ferritin (iron stores), Vitamin B12 and Zinc.

The fact you are gaining weight and have noticed hair growth could indicate PCOS. Weight gain while eating healthy can fit in with thyroid problems too. Low libido could be testosterone deficiency. Low libido could also be linked to thyroid problems. Low libido is also linked to Estrogen excess and night sweats are a symptom of Estrogen deficiency.

Muscle aches and pains are often found with either low Vit D, thyroid problems and estrogen excess.

Tiredness and anxiety is linked to thyroid and excess estrogen. Also people on the anemia board or those with low ferritin have complained of tiredness and anxiety.

The fact your periods have never been regular would definitely point towards hormones, but then again thyroid issues can be blamed too.

As you can see, so many symptoms fall into so many health problems. The best thing is to tell your doctor exactly what you have told the healthboard and hopefully your doctor is a good one and will check all possibilities. Also remember, NOT ALL people with a thyroid condition/ hormone problems, will suffer exact same symptoms. I am hypothyroid and have excess estrogen, but don't put on weight easily. Everybody who knows my situation 'assumes' i'm hyperthyroid. We are all individuals and will experience things differently, but i wouldn't be surprised if your situation was hormone and thyroid related.

Good luck and let us know how your get on. I'd be really interested in knowing what your range of symptoms are linked to

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
(female)

neochiq HB User

Well, I haven't had blood work done (I have been meaning to, but I'm very afraid of needles) BUT I'd rather have needles rather than something keep going wrong in my body ya know?

That being said, I came to a Doctor with some of these symptoms (before the chronic fatigue and before the night sweats) but I told her about the excess facial hair, skin tags, irregular periods, weight gain, etc....but she didn't do blood work--she just did a pelvic exam (no sonogram or anything) and just felt around and said 'you don't have PCOS'

is that accurate? Or did she really just not care?

have you (or anyone else) experienced night sweats at this age?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
(female)

neochiq HB User

PS

I only recently started the night sweats, so is a hormonal imbalance something that can start off with certain symptoms and then gradually get worse if not taken care of? I mean...basically can new symptoms arise and older symptoms get worse?

I figure I'm going to go to a doctor and tell him/her my symptoms and then get the bloodwork...*shiver*

Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

meneither123 HB User

Stop scaring yourself. I would guess it's your thryroid. Why? My daughter did the same thing. Thyroid. Check your symptoms up against hyper and hypo thyroidism. Bet you find it there. It's on * removed commercial link * . Take the list to your doctor. ME? Me too. I had to go to an endocrinologist before it was found. Some labs aren't all that swift if you catch my meaning. I knew what was wrong but the labs kept coming back normal. NOT. Facial hair is gone, energy is back, panic/anxiety attacks gone, moodiness gone. Good luck.
Oh, while I'm at it. Never take a Drs. word as if it's from God. Look up what they give you , say to you, do etc. Take responsiblity for your health. It'll keep them in line

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-23-2009 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Please don't post contact info, links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

neochiq -

Find another doctor that will test your hormones. That one sounds like a whack-job. She probably didn't test your hormones because she considered you 'too young' to have hormone problems. The fact is, though, women as early as their twenties can have hormonal imbalances. Even teenagers can, that's why they get acne. I experience most of what you've listed minus the night sweats and the hair growth. My sex drive isn't even low anymore, it's nonexistent. So, yes, hormonal imbalances can get much worse if you let them go. I'm 38 y/o, by the way. These types of symptoms can start as early as your twenties, though.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-23-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
(female)

neochiq HB User

Can night sweats be caused by hormone imbalances? Because it sure scared me :-(

Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Yes, it can be a symptom of low estrogen.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

When your doctor did a visual exam of your pelvic area and felt around to see whether you had pain proves absolutely zero. Sure, some things can be picked up that way, but not all. An ultrasound needs to be both external and internal. It will pick up things which a 'visual' quick look by your doctor doesn't.

The only hormonal link to night sweats that i know of is estrogen deficiency.

A lot of symptoms belong to numerous illnesses. You need to get your regular hormones and all your thyroid hormones tested plus the other things i mentioned in my previous post and also deal with a doctor who actually is willing to work through things with you.

Closed Thread