It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

buzzbuzz48 HB User
Do I have hypothyroidism? High Testosterone levels? (female 27years)

I have been steadily loosing hair for more than 10 years. A few years back I was diagnosed with PCOS. I’m wondering if I now have hypothyroidism along with the PCOS as some of my symptoms don’t add up.
• I am of normal height and weight. (5’2” height. 50kg weight)
• Have ovarian cysts. (Had ovarian drilling done a few months back)
• Sugar levels (was high but have now reduced after the ovarian drilling)
• High to medium testosterone levels. (doesn’t seem to come down despite the ovarian drilling & metformin/saw palmetto)
• Continual hair loss. (started at puberty – Age13)
• Irregular periods. (Now regular due to medications)
• Hands and legs getting numbed often.
• Feel lethargic & tired often. Also need a lot of sleep. Feel depressed.
• Regular Diarrhoea. (Getting more and more intolerant to foods – eggs, cheese, olive oil…etc. Ate a piece of carrot cake the other day and got severe diarrhoea)
• Have regular bouts of food cravings. But when I start to eat I find that I can only eat a little as I feel full in just a few mouth fulls.
• Family health history. (No family history of PCOS. Only one family member had Diabetes (type2) which he developed in his 50s. But 4 members of the family had cancer – relating to stomach/bowels/liver. Father had liver problems at birth)
• Medication (Metformin, The Pill, Saw Palmetto, Folic Acid)
I am wondering if I could be having hypothyroidism and it could be adding to my testosterone levels? Because in theory the medication I am taking should be lowering the testosterone levels. What tests do I need to take to diagnose this? What type of doctor do I see (an endocrinologist)?
Also if anyone could suggest any foods/ herbal or other medication that would lower my testosterone levels that would be excellent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Do I have hypothyroidism? High Testosterone levels? (female 27years)

Hi, i had high testosterone and it self corrected after i was on thyroid meds and cortisol supplements to help my adrenal function. I'm hypothyroid and have the auto immune thyroid disease Hashimoto's.

I also had estrogen excess and this had messed up my cycles and led to very bad PMS like bloating and immense breast pain as well as growth of a fibroid.

PCOS is often linked to testosterone and thyroid issues. I've known a few people in this situation and have read a lot of posts where people have had the high testosterone and PCOS. One of my friends had a pelvic ultrasound and the nurse doing the ultrasound picked up on the PCOS and asked her whether she had had her thyroid checked.

A lot of people are on birth control to help their cycles but beneath the surface the BC pills are often doing more harm than good. At any rate, all they will do is mask the real issues. My gp kept telling me to simply go on the pill and didn't offer me any further help. I got sick of it all and finally went to a naturopath who put me on a herbal mix. My periods are now normal, but my estrogen is still in excess and my thyroid doctor is helping me lower it.

The problem with estrogen is that it can end up in excess due to poor phase 2 liver detox. If the liver is detoxing correctly it would be able to get rid of excess estrogen, rather than it staying in our systems and turning into a bad form of estrogen. It's all a bit complex as most things in our bodies are interconnected and once one or two things are not quite right they affect other areas and lead to flow on effects.

The main things to look at are all your hormones from thyroid to adrenal to testosterone, estrogen and progesterone.

People with thyroid issues commonly have digestive issues. I myself wasn't able to properly digest protein foods due to insufficient pancreatic enzymes. Some people have gluten intolerance. Some thyroid sufferers have had irritable bowel syndrome which has been linked to hyperthyroid, but is also linked to digestive disorders. Digestive disorders on the other hand, as well as gluten intolerance, lead on to malabsorption of nutrients which is why a lot of thyroid sufferers have been known to be low in ferritin (iron stores), Vitamin D, B12, folate, zince, iodine.

I'm not sure what metformin is, but do know the pill can have negative affect on hormones, i've also read that saw palmetto has estrogenic qualities, so if your estrogen is already high, both the saw palmetto and the pill could be adding more estrogen to your system.

A lot of the above issues, from thyroid, low ferritin, irritable bowel, the pill, malabsorption of nutrients due to gluten/digestive disorder, hormone issues can all lead to hair shedding.

I think you need to cover as many bases as possible and have as many things checked, starting with your thyroid (TSH, FT4, FT3, Thyroid Antibodies) and the various vitamins/minerals, gluten intolerance, cortisol levels and all other hormones. although being on the pill 'might' skew your hormone results. Would be better to go off the pill for a few weeks then do the hormone testing.

Good luck and hope you get some answers

Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

crystal82dawn HB User

I am having a lot of the same stuff, what ever happen with you and did you find what was going on?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
(female)

crystal82dawn HB User

Did you every find what was going on I have a lot of the same stuff happening to me.

Closed Thread