It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
(female)

sam234 HB User
Question low prolactin level

I have been having headaches for a few years and have had hair loss for a few months. I seen my gynecologist yesterday and told me I had low prolactin level. It's 3.0 and the normal is 3.3/26. Is there any other reason i would have a low prolactin level besides having hypopituitarism? Can there be any other condition are reasons for this.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
(female)

juner50 HB User
Re: low prolactin level

Do you have children?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
(female)

sam234 HB User

I do have children, 2 boys 7 and 10 years old.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
(female)

juner50 HB User

Did you ever have postpartum hemorrhage with either of the deliveries?
Or did you ever have a head injury?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I'm sorry to intrude on this thread but I am very interested and I would LOVE to find hear what you find out. I had my prolactin level tested a couple weeks ago as well. My level was 3.1 (the range for mine was 2.8-29.2). Doctor didn't think anything of it but I DID have a HUGE postpartum hemorrhage 1 week after the birth of my second child (also had a concussion once). I can't seem to convince the doctor that there is a problem!

Last edited by hopalong_too; 09-04-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
(female)

juner50 HB User

I too have low prolactin and it's often associated with Sheehan's Syndrome, which is caused from postpartum hemorrhage. Sheehan's is another form of hypopituitarism.

You can either lose your pituitary hormones shortly following the hemorrhage or head injury or it can take many years to show up. You may lose some hormone functions or all.

Best thing to do is get your pituitary hormones checked. Mention your history of hemorrhage and or head trauma. But I have to add... most Drs aren't very good at understanding or diagnosing this.

Just out of curiosity have any of you lost any other pituitary hormones?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
(female)

sam234 HB User

I never had postpartum hemorrhage or head injury. I've just been getting these really bad headaches for a few years and loss of hair for a few months. After I done some research on the internet i ask my doctor to get my hormone levels checked and also a CAT Scan. I should have the results of the scan next week. I am very worried about the results..

Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I had my Estradiol tested with a result <15 (but I also haven't had a period since May). I am being treated for hypothyroidism but my TSH has never been above 1.25 which is normal and my FT4 and FT3 are in the very low end of range. Something is not right with that either. I do have positive TPO and TG antibodies so I have Hashimotos. I have been taking medication for it for close to 2 years now and the FT's are still low.

July
TSH 1.08 (.45-1.45)
FT4 .79 (.61-1.76) 15.65% of range
FT3 2.7 (2.3-4.2) 21.05% of range

My Endo will not increase the medication because the TSH is great.

I have read a little more this afternoon and it seems with central hypothyroidism and/or hypopituitarism the TSH is inappropriately normal in the face of low FTs.

I may bring this up to my GP again at my next visit. She already thinks I am crazy so it can't do any more harm. They all just blew off the fact of the postpartum hemorrhage because it was 20 years ago. I have felt this way for YEARS!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
(female)

juner50 HB User

Sam,
I always say don't worry until you have something to worry about LOL! Hopefully they'll find a solution to your headaches and hairloss and it will be easily solved.

hopalong,
read up on Sheehan's and being hypopit. You may or may not have it but it's good to be informed. Hormones are a tricky thing. I'm still learning and plugging along.

Having a low TSH and low Free T3 & T4 is typical of being hypopit. Again, good luck with your Dr and in getting proper tests. Maybe try bringing in an article on Sheehan's Syndrome to your Dr. Most don't know what it is!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Juner, Do you have Sheehan's Syndrome? I mentioned it to my Endo when I first saw him and he said the TSH is not "low" but in normal range. I have read quite a bit on this already. It was a horrible huge hemorrhage. The doctor cancelled a previously booked OR to get me in as I had lost SO much blood.

If you have been diagnosed with this, what were your symptoms? How about filling me in on what would be the appropriate lab tests?

I have read that it is possible to have this but not ALL anterior pituitary hormones be affected. I am going through menopause and my FSH is high.....in menopausal range 70, I believe. Also my morning cortisol was at the high end of range 22.1 (4.3-22.4) so my doctor does not suspect a problem with the pituitary. I have never had growth hormone (HGH or IGF-1 ?? ) tested.

Thanks for your help, Hoppy

Sam234, I am very interested in what your doctor has to say about the low prolactin level. Are any of your other hormones out of whack? From what I have been reading, the doctors do not seem to place much importance on low levels of prolactin......only high levels. Please post what you find out. Thanks

Old 09-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
(female)

juner50 HB User

hopalong,
My TSH is below normal but my frees are in range. I think Drs think Sheehan's doesn't exist in this Country. They hate to think that there's mediocre Obstetrical care in this day and age!!!

I've felt miserable for many years. I had severe hemorrhage thirty some yrs ago and I'm slowly losing pit hormones. I went into menopause at 45 but had no symptoms (hot flashes/night sweats) periods just stopped. That's when things really went down hill.

I have a history of idiopathic potassium loss. I'm ADH deficient. Hypoglycemic. loss of pubic and axillary hair but it comes and goes. Below normal IGF 1. Below normal DHEA. The list goes on and on.

I was given a Growth Hormone Stimulation test last week (waiting on results) but I think its difficult to prove if you're borderline or still in the pituitary failing stages. I know of people that were given the test four times before they were proven GH deficient. Everything points in that direction but we'll see what the tests say.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
(female)

honeymom66 HB User

Hello, new to boards, and am trying to find out information about the low prolactin levels.
After the birth of my second child, 20 years ago, I bled (hemorrhaged) immediately following the birth (at home), so much so that I was actually proncounced dead - no pulse.
I have had two children since, one who is now almost 10 and one who is almost 4, but no post partum hemmorrhage.
Additionally, I have been suffering migraines since about age 10 (I am now 42) and am wondering if some of these things all tie together?
What do low or decreased levels of prolactin indicate?

Closed Thread