It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
(male)

JJ62 HB User
Mad As Hell And Not Going To Take It Anymore

Got my test results back for the doc in the mail yesterday.
They reaed 342 total, free 45.7, Comment "normal levels" and
Thyroid normal..

I don't believe this test tells me anything. They don't indicate what
the measure was ng/dl. pmol/L, pg/l, etc. Plus that was my high level
at 8 am. Which seems very low for a 62 year old healthy male. I think it should be around 500 in the am and maybe around the 342 mark in the pm.

I have all the sysptoms of low T and this is far as the doc will want to
take it. Well I am not going to take it anymore and let some lame doctor
be in charge of my health. Like they have been for the last 10 years and
continue to sedate me with antidepressants. I haven't even had sex in the last 7-8 years and it's wearing on both my wife and I.

Does anyone have any ideas or offer me any help. It would be very
appreciated.

Last edited by JJ62; 09-13-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Mad As Hell And Not Going To Take It Anymore

I agree with you, those results dont appear to say anything. Does your doctor pass on a copy of the actual lab report to you? If not, you ought to ask and it's your right as a patient to be given a copy.

Doctors appear to hand out antidepressants like Santa Claus hands out lollies at Christmas. It's a total joke.

Firstly, if you are not psychologically depressed, but are more likely to be depressed due to illness eg: hormonal imabalance or thyroid issues etc etcl, then i'd be weaning myself of the antidepressants.

Secondly, is there another doctor you could see? I spent years with the same doctor who i found out knew nothing about my issues, but as i didn't know much back then i simply kept going back to him wasting my time and my health kept deteriorating. Then i spent a few years doing nothing about it. Then i got angry and found this healthboard, learnt a few things and went "shopping" for a someone who would help me. Using my new found knowledge i did find someone and in the process found out i'd had a thyroid problem ALL along, for the whole 9 years!!!

I'm no expert on male hormone issues, but do know a lot of males have hormone issues for varying reasons just as females do. More males have thyroid related issues than we realise. A lot of people thing it's more a female disease as more females tend to have it.

Does your doctor recommend when is the best time of the day to have your hormone testing? Blood should be drawn between 8-10am as testosterone levels are usually higher first thing in the a.m. and lower in the afternoon.

As for SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin), low SHBG conditions include diabetes and hypothyroidism and in women it also includes PCOS.

With your thyroid, they ought to test your TSH, Free T3, Free T4 (not just T4,T3, must be "free"), also Thyroid Antibodies to see whether there is an autoimmune disease present eg: Hashimoto's or Graves.

With Testosterone, i've been told it's a good idea to get the Adrenals checked to see how much of the hormone Cortisol they are producing, also get your DHEA's checked. DHEA's are improved with quality of sleep and getting more sleep.

Low testosterone is not the time to do any high intensity/volume workouts, instead lighter training to give your body a recharge is advised. For optimal testosterone levels take zinc and magnesium and have as many successes in your life, meaning do things which make you happy and leave you feeling good about yourself.

Most of this is obvious i guess, as quality/good sleep, feeling good about ourselves gives us more energy and we can achieve more things, even if they are just little things and this then releases those feel good endorphins.

Sometimes it's when we get fed up and angry and decide to do something about a situation is when we finally get results. Well i'd say by your post that you are getting angry, which is a good thing if you use the anger in a positive way. Perhaps you could involve your wife in some of your research and get you on track to better health and therefore an even better relationship together, by working towards things together. It's no fun when the physcal intimacy disappears, but maybe taking this health thing on as a project which you work on together could help somewhat. Best wishes to you both!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
(male)

JJ62 HB User

Audrey-B,

You hit the nail right on the head. These doctors are ready to spend about 5 minutes with you and throw pills at you like popcorn. All they do is treat the
sysptoms and not cure the cause. Maybe because these HMO & PPO are forcing them into see more patients so they can make their Mercezde payments, I don't know.

Like you said those results I was given don't tell me much. But after I called and said 342 was unacceptiable to me. But they argued there in the normal ranges of our lap (Qwest). I told the doc I had ED, which I do and faster then a speeding bullit there sending me to a Uro. I must have hit that magic button.
You probably won't believe this, but Qwest Labs normal testosterone range for a 18-69 year old is 250ng to 1100ng and found these results on the net.

I also heard it's a good idea to have a Esditrol test done if there is to much
estrogen it can keep the available free T from binding correctly.

I have now the referial to the Uro and I have requested an appointment with a
VA doctor. And so I will see what happens and keep you posted.

Any other suggestion before my appointment would be appreciated.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi JJ62, sounds like you are making some inroads. As they say "don't get mad, get even". Little by little you will get to the bottom of all of this, but you wont do it by being meek and mild and simply towing the line with your GP. A lot of us on the Healthboards are learning this.

I still believe your hormonal condition is what is at the root of it all and i don't believe you need thos antidepressants, but then again i don't know your actual medical history, just that a lot of people are on antidepressants as a band aid situation, but it's doing ZERO for you actual health condition, maybe even making things worse in some cases. You will likely find as you gain more control of the situation and start getting answers that you will feel psychologically better and stronger and can get off the antidepressants.

Estrogen is something not often talked about with males. It's deemed as a female thing. Through seeing my thyroid doctor who got me to do a saliva hormone test as he believes saliva is more accurate than blood tests as saliva testing measures the free "bioavailable" hormone activity at a cellular level as blood testing does not measure the bioavailable hormone levels. Most doctors only do the blood testing though, which is fine so long as it's done between 8am-10am and no later. Earlier in the morning is better.

Excess estrogen, relative to testosterone, is thought to play a role in the development of prostate symptoms in men. This is why, even as a male, Progesterone is a keyhormone as it benefits males in maintaining prostate health. This is why for both males and females the balance of Progesterone and Estrogen is important as Progesterone enhances the beneficial effects of estrogen while preventing symptoms associated with estrogen excess eg: breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in males.

Testosterone and DHEA-S imbalance lists erectile dysfunction, among others, as a symptom. While estrogen and progesterone imbalance has prostate enlargement and decreased or increased urinary flow among other things as a symptom.

This is why, even as a male, it's important to look at the entire hormone panel, not just one or two hormones, "just" because you are a male. All of them are important regardless of our gender.

Additionally, considering we know it's your hormones which are out of whack, the next thing to ask is why? As i mentioned in my previous post, a lot of times thyroid issues can lead to hormone issues as our body tends to have a domino effect. It wouldn't hurt to have your full thyroid panel checked too which is: TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and Thyroid Antibodies. Sometimes also key vitamins/minerals can be lacking and perhaps cause issues. It wouldn't hurt to get your zinc, magnesium, ferritin, Vitamin D and B12 checked out.

Good luck and hoping things get better for you.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
(male)

JJ62 HB User

Just started on my testosterone gel 2 days ago and I believe I am feeling better
already. Could be just the placbo effect I don't know. But I hope it continues
thanks for all your insight..

Joe

Old 11-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good to hear you are getting help. Hoping all goes well

Old 12-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
(male)

JJ62 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
Good to hear you are getting help. Hoping all goes well
Hi Aubrey,

Not doing so well. Would you please read my post toady under
"Is it Aduld ADD" and let me know what you think. And some ideas