It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 04:32 AM   #1
(male)

nortalf HB User
low testosterone fears

I think that my test levels are low. I am 27 years old and have ZERO facial hair. I know of nobody in that situation. Very little underarm hair. I go through quite long stages of depression, although that could be more linked to my cystic acne which doesn't get better, no matter what the doctor gives me. I have a very bad memory (another symptom of low testosterone). I am in 'ok' shape, but no matter how hard i push it at the gym, I cant get 'ripped' and always have fat in my face (another indicator of low testosterone from what i read).

I have an appointment about my cystic acne next week, and i am yet again going to try to convince my doc to test my blood. I wish it was like in America (im in the UK) where its seems very common to test patients blood. I dont understand why is isn's something that doctors WANT to do. One could potentially be very ill and not yet displaying symptoms, and a blood test could pick up on the problem and catch it early, no?

A couple of questions:

Ive mentioned before to people about my total lack of facial hair. People sometimes say "its just you genetics", but that soesn't make sense to me. I mean, when women take testosterone they grow full beards, but surely its not in THEIR genetics to be able to grow facial hair!!?

Also, why do people say that HRT is for life, but when bodybuilders take steroids, it isn't 'for life'? whats the difference? Either way, you are getting external testosterone and so the bodies own testosterone production shuts down, no?

Im hoping to be able to report some numbers to you in the future to get some advice, but the more times i get fobbed off by the doctor, i begin considering doing a few cycles of testosterone much like a body builder would.

Anyone have any input on my situation, and able to answer my questions?
thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
(male)

suryc83 HB User
Re: low testosterone fears

Hey - I am 26 and was diagnosed with Testicular Hypofunction a couple of months ago. I have been on T injectons for about a month now and am slowly starting to notice improvement. I had some of the same symptoms as you.

My Dr. explained that it is possible for the link between the hypothalumus, pituitary, and testicles to become functional again, but for now I have to be on T injections to hopefully bring my T levels up to normal. So there is a slight possibility it isn't "forever".

Bodybuilders probably have normal levels of T without shots, so they are just taking T (illegally) to increase their levels. It is diffierent for those of us who cannot produce enough T naturally.

I have never experimented with T or other hormones before getting a prescription and strongly caution against doing that. Hormones affect a lot and you don't want to be taking something that might not be the best for your body.

Hang in there - I know it sucks but hopefully you can get some blood work done to determine your T levels.

Hope this provides some help for you.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
(male)

nortalf HB User

thanks.
Yes experimenting certainly doesn't sound like the brightest thing to do, but it can be so frustrating when the doctors dont seem interested. Testing ones blood seems like the most obvious thing in the world to me, but doctors are always relucant to do so...i guess because it costs money??

I was reading about my cystic acne condition earlier, and i read that it is often caused by an 'imbalance of hormones'. I wonder if this is the case for me, and my suspisions about my hormons leves??

I also have some other classic symptoms.
.No facial hair whatsoever, depite being 27!
.Bad memory
.depression/mood swings

However, I read that ones strength would also be low if they ave very low T levels? Even though Iam quite thin, and have very skinny bones (wrists/fingers etc) I seem to be stronger than alot of my friends. Is that strange?

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-15-2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
(male)

suryc83 HB User

I am a smaller guy too but am pretty muscular. The only thing I noticed is that my strength was really declining in the weight room. What made me think I had low T was having NO sex drive and also bouts of depression.

I am not sure the cost of a blood test since here it depends on insurance etc. If you are willing to pay I don't see why a Dr wouldn't order a blood test but then again it may be different outside of the US.

Sorry I don't know much about the cystic acne issue but it sounds like it could be a result of low T.

When is the follow up visit with the Dr?

Closed Thread