It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
(male)

stevefromsd HB User
Low Testosterone caused by Sleep Apnea???

I was having 4 or 5 symptoms of Low Testosterone (ED, fatigue, lower insulin sensitivity, and most importantly, seizures. I finally went and got tested. The first time I got tested for Low Testosterone was 2 months before I got officially tested and diagnosed for Sleep Apnea (I now sleep with a CPAP Machine). This was back in 2007. I never put it together until now that it could be the Sleep Apnea causing the Low Testosterone. I have now had my Testosterone levels tested 3 times since 2007. The normal range for Testosterone is 241-827. The first time I got tested and my level was at 243. The Endocrinologist said there is no problem!!!!! This is after I had told him about the symptoms of Low Testosterone I had been having for awhile. I have had Epilepsy since I was 5 (I'm 41 now) but the seizures had been under control for 20 years. I didn't realize until very recently that the reason my seizures came back was Low Testosterone.

The 3 times I had it tested, my Total Testosterone level tested as 243, 345, and 255. (The normal range is 241-827). My Dr. said a 41 year old male should be between 400 and 500).

My Free Testosterone tested as 9, and 10. (At least this is in the middle of the normal range).

I have been taking DHEA which is an OTC supplement that converts into Testosterone. Yes it is legal. I take 5mg twice a day. When I tested as 255 for my total Testosterone and 10 for my Free Testosterone, I had been taking the DHEA for a month. I wasn't really happy for testing as 255 while taking the DHEA but at least the Free Testosterone is at 10 which is in the middle of the normal range.
I also started taking Synthroid for Hypothyroidism back in June of 2010. I don't know if my Sleep Apnea and Thyroid function are related.
I also started taking Synthroid for Hypothyroidism back in June of 2010. I don't know if Sleep Apnea and Thyroid function are related.

Does anyone else here with Sleep Apnea and/or Seizures also have Low Testosterone? If so, did you end up getting Testosterone Replacement Therapy???

Last edited by stevefromsd; 10-25-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User
Re: Low Testosterone caused by Sleep Apnea???

I would guess you have it reversed.

Your T should be in the upper 1/3 of its range & your E2 should be in the middle of its range.

The thyroid is the start of all hormone action.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
(male)

Centurion HRT HB User

Sleep apnea is known for causing low T levels.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
(male)

stevefromsd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion HRT View Post
Sleep apnea is known for causing low T levels.
Thanks for the info!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
(male)

Centurion HRT HB User

No problem. There is some contradiction in therapy for apnea and hypogonadism. Just make sure you discuss that with your Dr if you choose get help for your T levels.

Oh man! i just realized you were taking DHEA there is no clinical evidence that it raises serum T levels !!!!!!!

Last edited by Centurion HRT; 11-18-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
(male)

Centurion HRT HB User

In some cases DHEA replacement seems sufficient to produce the benefits suggesting increased levels of free testosterone, even though total serum testosterone is unaffected (in women, total serum testosterone does rise after DHEA replacement). Fortunately, a well-controlled study published in the prestigious Journal of Clinical and Experimental Endocrinology and Metabolism did in fact find a significant rise in free testosterone in men aged 60 to 84 years, after three months on 100 mg of DHEA. There was no rise in total testosterone or in PSA. Even at lower doses of DHEA, one would expect a rise in tissue levels of testosterone, undetectable in the serum but nevertheless of considerable physiological importance.

There is of course every reason for men to take DHEA along with testosterone replacement for enhanced benefits, such as improved immune function.

Last edited by Centurion HRT; 11-18-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
(male)

stevefromsd HB User

I have been taking DHEA for about 6 months? Like you just said, when I got my Testosterone level tested after taking DHEA the Free Testosterone levels rose but the Total Testosterone level didn't. My Dr. had gone as far as said he would prescribe my Testosterone replacement shots and had even ordered my first shot only to change his mind and have my try just DHEA. In the last five years I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and Hypothyroidism. I also think I have pre-diabetes but didn't get tested. I think all of this is because of the low Testosterone. I don't know why the Testosterone dropped so much. I am only 41. I am going to try and see if the DR. will let me try at least once the Testosterone replacement shots.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
(male)

Centurion HRT HB User

low testosterone is associated with other serious medical conditions including diabetes, cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome.

It is very important IMO that someone your age gets their T levels into optimum range. Understand that you need to assume testosterone replacement therapy is forever. If you start TRT and then stop you will most likely end up worse than you were before.

The average TRT regimen consists of 100-200mg weekly of testosterone cypionate. Once you start you need to get your blood test done again in 6 weeks so you can fine tune your dose and also check your estrogen levels and T3 and T4.

Last edited by Centurion HRT; 11-19-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
(female)

hopefloats919 HB User

I just want to say Thank you, my husband was diagnosed with seizures back in 2007 and around that time is when his "drive" started dwindling, he was also told he has sleep apnea and that was what was causing the seizures (even with the bi-pap). After being on dialantin for 2 years now, he is still having seizures like the dialantin isnt even in his system, we've gone to his PCP which put him on blood pressure medicine which has helped his seizures some but your post just brings it all together as to WHY he just started having seizures out of the blue. I will be printing this out and taking it to his "HEAD" Dr and asking if my husband can get tested for low testosterone. Thank you very much for posting this, AND Good Luck to you.

Closed Thread