It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

Jeninden HB User
Red face High Estradiol, possible thyroid issues...starting to lose patience!

Just an FYI for anybody curious - I went to an endocrinology and she believes I have PCOS. Apparently you can have PCOS with normal looking ovaries and not obese. Relieved to have come across somebody who seems to know what she's talking about!

I'm in need of some help in relation to Estradiol and/or thyroid issues. A little background..I've been having irregular periods (extended, different colors, absent), fatigue, brain fog and severe PMS for about two years now. Initially I believed I had thyroid issues and requested my levels be tested. My thyroid levels have always come back normal (TSH ranging from .6-1.6) - with t4 reuptake borderline high. My dr. ordered an ovarian ultrasound in 2009 - which came back normal. My dr eventually said "I think this is just something between "norma"l and peri-menopause that hasn't been discovered yet!" She went on to say that she is my age and feels the same way....so on I march. I also talked at length (on numerous occasions) with my male gyno - who told me that women my age "bleed strange" and that I should consider a procedure called ablation (scraping out the endometrium) to fix the problem (yikes!).

I continued with all the above symptoms for a bit (thinking it was some mysterious thing not yet discovered..) before deciding to visit a local naturapath. She looked me over and told me she believed I had thyroid problems and put me on a myriad of supplements. I slowly began to feel better - more energy, less irritability and shorter, less colorful (often dark brownish icky stuff) periods. Two months ago I had a bonafide "normal" period - no dark stuff, 4 days and gone...what a relief...or so I thought.

Then this past month my period didn't come at all. After almost two weeks and unbearable breast pain - I went to my dr. thinking I might be pregnant (though I've had an IUD for 6 years). My dr. ran a panel of tests - one of which was estradiol (never tested previously). All menopause markers (FSH, LH, Prolactin) came back perfect; however, my estradiol was 735 pg/ml. The highest amount listed in the reference range is during the luteul phase (I think) and I wasn't in this phase (and the highest amount is 400). A day after I had the blood test, I started my period. It was awful - very strong cramps, clots and breast pain.

I called my "western" dr. wanting answers about the estradiol levels. She said she called a gyno to consult and the gyno said "one time I had a patient whose blood draw was close to the start of her period and her levels were high..." I about lost it - my dr. is trying to come up with lame excuses for this high level when I've been having hormone problems for two years. I explained my overarching concern was not the number on the lab results - but the number in relation to my symptoms. She said - well lets test it again and see if it goes down.. I also went back to my "eastern" dr. to consult - given I was taking supplements she prescribed. She was totally perplexed...especially given the fact that I've been taking a natural estrogen reducer (DIM) for the past 4 months. She believes I have thyroid issues still and gave me a stronger supplement for thyroid support - including iodine.

I don't know what to think...why are my western docs so unconcerned about potential thyroid problems in the face of my eastern doc saying this is what is going on? Also, why didn't my western docs test my estradiol two years ago? They (including my gyno) don't seem the least bit interested in the possibility of a hormonal imbalance. I'm terrified that I've been living with high estradiol for the past two years and am not at higher risk for cancers, etc. I'm so confused and angry that nobody seems to be taking this seriously (besides my naturapath - thankfully). Help!

Last edited by Jeninden; 03-01-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Update

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
(female)

editorspangler HB User
Re: High Estradiol, possible thyroid issues...starting to lose patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeninden View Post
Just an FYI for anybody curious - I went to an endocrinology and she believes I have PCOS. Apparently you can have PCOS with normal looking ovaries and not obese. Relieved to have come across somebody who seems to know what she's talking about!

I'm in need of some help in relation to Estradiol and/or thyroid issues. A little background..I've been having irregular periods (extended, different colors, absent), fatigue, brain fog and severe PMS for about two years now. Initially I believed I had thyroid issues and requested my levels be tested. My thyroid levels have always come back normal (TSH ranging from .6-1.6) - with t4 reuptake borderline high. My dr. ordered an ovarian ultrasound in 2009 - which came back normal. My dr eventually said "I think this is just something between "norma"l and peri-menopause that hasn't been discovered yet!" She went on to say that she is my age and feels the same way....so on I march. I also talked at length (on numerous occasions) with my male gyno - who told me that women my age "bleed strange" and that I should consider a procedure called ablation (scraping out the endometrium) to fix the problem (yikes!).

I continued with all the above symptoms for a bit (thinking it was some mysterious thing not yet discovered..) before deciding to visit a local naturapath. She looked me over and told me she believed I had thyroid problems and put me on a myriad of supplements. I slowly began to feel better - more energy, less irritability and shorter, less colorful (often dark brownish icky stuff) periods. Two months ago I had a bonafide "normal" period - no dark stuff, 4 days and gone...what a relief...or so I thought.

Then this past month my period didn't come at all. After almost two weeks and unbearable breast pain - I went to my dr. thinking I might be pregnant (though I've had an IUD for 6 years). My dr. ran a panel of tests - one of which was estradiol (never tested previously). All menopause markers (FSH, LH, Prolactin) came back perfect; however, my estradiol was 735 pg/ml. The highest amount listed in the reference range is during the luteul phase (I think) and I wasn't in this phase (and the highest amount is 400). A day after I had the blood test, I started my period. It was awful - very strong cramps, clots and breast pain.

I called my "western" dr. wanting answers about the estradiol levels. She said she called a gyno to consult and the gyno said "one time I had a patient whose blood draw was close to the start of her period and her levels were high..." I about lost it - my dr. is trying to come up with lame excuses for this high level when I've been having hormone problems for two years. I explained my overarching concern was not the number on the lab results - but the number in relation to my symptoms. She said - well lets test it again and see if it goes down.. I also went back to my "eastern" dr. to consult - given I was taking supplements she prescribed. She was totally perplexed...especially given the fact that I've been taking a natural estrogen reducer (DIM) for the past 4 months. She believes I have thyroid issues still and gave me a stronger supplement for thyroid support - including iodine.

I don't know what to think...why are my western docs so unconcerned about potential thyroid problems in the face of my eastern doc saying this is what is going on? Also, why didn't my western docs test my estradiol two years ago? They (including my gyno) don't seem the least bit interested in the possibility of a hormonal imbalance. I'm terrified that I've been living with high estradiol for the past two years and am not at higher risk for cancers, etc. I'm so confused and angry that nobody seems to be taking this seriously (besides my naturapath - thankfully). Help!
My husband has been going through what we think is a thyroid/iodine problem for two years. Believe me, the traditional medicine practitioners just do not "get" the fact that your tests can come back in the "normal" range even though you have thyroid problems. Homeopathic or alternative medicine practitioners are on the right track. If you can, find an osteopath that specializes in endocrinology or endocrinologist that is open to more natural practices and alternative medicine. My husband is using Armour Thyroid, a natural replacement and not a synthetic one. That has helped a lot of people. My husband isn't there yet, but it takes a while for the body to heal and readjust itself. Also, you should get tested for andrenal fatigue. I wish you luck!

Closed Thread