It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Gioparis HB User
Birth control + hypothyroidism

I am on BC, 20mcg, so a very low one, have been on it for 8 years (minus when i was pregnant with both my children), and noticed how my mood was much better off it. 2 months ago i was diagnosed with Hypo, the dr prescribed synthroid, but i have been reluctant to take it because of everything i read, and that it can make mood worse. my husband has been saying that im always angry ..so im worried. both being on BC and having a thyroid problem can cause mood effects, and not treating my hypo can cause medical problems.
anyone else on the same boat?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Birth control + hypothyroidism

I have Hashimotos, an auto-immune hypothyroid condition. I take birth control but also will take holidays from it, usually when I run out of my prescription and am dreading having to go in for my exam. Ha. Anyway, prior to being treated for hypothyroid with supplemental thyroid hormone I had wild mood swings, anxiety, depression and anger issues. They were not related to being on birth control but rather to having untreated hypothyroidism. Since being treated, my moods are much more stable. I rarely get angry, I no longer get panic attacks, I have no depression. I also noticed that my blood sugar levels stay stable.

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about by being treated for hypothyroidism. Just be aware that there is adjustment period to the meds and sometimes it takes a while for your doctor to dial the dose in. Also, Synthroid(Levothyroxine) is not your only option for treatment, just so you know. Levothyroxine is synthetic thyroid hormone, there are also natural desiccated thyroid you can get that go by brand names like Armour, Naturethroid and Westhroid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread