It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

purplesilhouette HB User
birth control pill causing permanent hormonal damage?

Hi everyone,

I posted this on the birth control board but maybe it's more relevant here on the hormones board.

I went off the birth control pill about two years ago, but i've recently started suspecting that my body may not have actually managed to bounce back. I was on it for three years total (low dose pill: 20mcg estradiol, 1mg norethindrone acetate), and when I went off it I didn't notice any significant changes other than a lot of hair loss for a while (which did correct itself). As for my periods, it took a long time for those to come back, but they've always been irregular (secondary amenorrhea) my entire life so I can't really tell if my hormone levels are really "normal" or not.

What raised red flags for me were the following:
- over the past half a year, the skin on my face has deteriorated. i know fine lines are a very real possibility at my age (i'm 24) especially given my track record for poor stress management, HOWEVER, i've noticed a very rapid onset of wrinkles around my mouth and between my eyes, as well as the forehead wrinkles that appeared literally just a few months after i stopped the pill. i have very little color left in my face, i always look (and feel!) dull and tired and the skin seems to sag more.
- i developed depression the winter after I stopped the pill, but I attributed it to multiple things in my life that appeared to be more direct causes...those things are mainly gone now, but the depression still comes and goes.
- anxiety -- i've always been somewhat of a stressed out person, but this past year my anxiety has skyrocketed for no apparent reason, and I feel I can barely function enough to get through my days.
- feelings of futility/worthlessness/meaninglessness -- nothing seems worth doing anymore, not even things that i KNOW i want to do. and i realize this is tied to depression in most cases, but it's not quite the same kind of apathy. i get out of bed with the intention to do things, but i can't bring myself to do them. i can socialize and dress myself and run errands and the such, but anything requiring more attention or effort, i simply fail to achieve. i procrastinate a lot, i agonize and get stuck in frustrating mental cycles and can't get anything done unless i stress myself out about failing. (as a comparison, this is more severe than any procrastination i've felt in the past, i used to be much more driven, determined, motivated, and able to make myself do work and feel pride in my accomplishments, but now it seems i can't do that anymore).

i've made an appointment to see a doctor and get my hormone levels checked, but i want to know if anyone else has experienced this before.

it's been a long time since i stopped taking the pill, but rather than getting better i feel like i'm stuck at this anxious, tired, frustrated, worthless and unproductive level of crazy, and the fact that now i'm developing premature wrinkles rapidly is really freaking me out. could it be that my hormone levels are just permanently messed up?

i'm considering going back on the pill indefinitely, just to be able to regulate all this. and because i've always had secondary amenorrhea, i'm starting to believe that whatever normal hormonal regulation my body was capable of before, i damaged by using the pill, and now i can't bounce back.

any thoughts?

Last edited by purplesilhouette; 11-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
Re: birth control pill causing permanent hormonal damage?

Hi,
I know this is a very old post but I experienced the very same symptoms after going off of the pill only I was on the pill for ten years. It was so bad, the anxiety, the depression, the bad skin and hair, and even blood pressure spiking that I went back on the pill and have not tried to get off since.

My gynocologist said I don't respond well to my own hormones and that the pill evens everything out and that I should just stay on it until menopause but I always wonder if that is really a good idea.

I was just wondering if you got any answers and what you ended up doing to deal with this issues.

Thanks,
Ivy

Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

diamond7986 HB User
Unhappy Re: birth control pill causing permanent hormonal damage?

Hi,
I know you posted this about a year ago, but want to let you know you arent alone. I'm going through the exact same thing as you. Ive tried adjust my hormone levels after stopping the pil. My docter and i have been trying to this by taking bioidentical hormones but it done nothing but make me worse because my body is constanty going up and down. Ive had a CT scan on my adrenal glands that showed a small mass, I'm going for a MRI tomorrow to find out what exactly the mass is. I even had a MRI yesterday on my pituitary glands, but that showed nothing. I'm getting more and more exhausted and dont know what else to do at this time. I'm just wondering if you were ever able to figure it out or if anyone else out there has gone through the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesilhouette View Post
Hi everyone,

I posted this on the birth control board but maybe it's more relevant here on the hormones board.

I went off the birth control pill about two years ago, but i've recently started suspecting that my body may not have actually managed to bounce back. I was on it for three years total (low dose pill: 20mcg estradiol, 1mg norethindrone acetate), and when I went off it I didn't notice any significant changes other than a lot of hair loss for a while (which did correct itself). As for my periods, it took a long time for those to come back, but they've always been irregular (secondary amenorrhea) my entire life so I can't really tell if my hormone levels are really "normal" or not.

What raised red flags for me were the following:
- over the past half a year, the skin on my face has deteriorated. i know fine lines are a very real possibility at my age (i'm 24) especially given my track record for poor stress management, HOWEVER, i've noticed a very rapid onset of wrinkles around my mouth and between my eyes, as well as the forehead wrinkles that appeared literally just a few months after i stopped the pill. i have very little color left in my face, i always look (and feel!) dull and tired and the skin seems to sag more.
- i developed depression the winter after I stopped the pill, but I attributed it to multiple things in my life that appeared to be more direct causes...those things are mainly gone now, but the depression still comes and goes.
- anxiety -- i've always been somewhat of a stressed out person, but this past year my anxiety has skyrocketed for no apparent reason, and I feel I can barely function enough to get through my days.
- feelings of futility/worthlessness/meaninglessness -- nothing seems worth doing anymore, not even things that i KNOW i want to do. and i realize this is tied to depression in most cases, but it's not quite the same kind of apathy. i get out of bed with the intention to do things, but i can't bring myself to do them. i can socialize and dress myself and run errands and the such, but anything requiring more attention or effort, i simply fail to achieve. i procrastinate a lot, i agonize and get stuck in frustrating mental cycles and can't get anything done unless i stress myself out about failing. (as a comparison, this is more severe than any procrastination i've felt in the past, i used to be much more driven, determined, motivated, and able to make myself do work and feel pride in my accomplishments, but now it seems i can't do that anymore).

i've made an appointment to see a doctor and get my hormone levels checked, but i want to know if anyone else has experienced this before.

it's been a long time since i stopped taking the pill, but rather than getting better i feel like i'm stuck at this anxious, tired, frustrated, worthless and unproductive level of crazy, and the fact that now i'm developing premature wrinkles rapidly is really freaking me out. could it be that my hormone levels are just permanently messed up?

i'm considering going back on the pill indefinitely, just to be able to regulate all this. and because i've always had secondary amenorrhea, i'm starting to believe that whatever normal hormonal regulation my body was capable of before, i damaged by using the pill, and now i can't bounce back.

any thoughts?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
(female)

Jordan5825 HB User
Re: birth control pill causing permanent hormonal damage?

Hi, I am also 24 and have been experiencing some of the same issues. I was on birth control pills for 10 years and have been off them for a month now. I am very scared that I have done permanent damage to my hormones, specifically prolactin and thyroid. I was told 5 months ago I have high prolactin levels by my endocrinologist and prescribed cabergoline. I hesitated to take it because I was not experiencing any symptoms and don't like to take any pills unless absolutely necessary. In the end he convinced me to take it and I have been taking it for 4 months and have noticed no difference whatsoever ever other than I think it may be giving me headaches. I also have all the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism despite my doctors telling me my blood work is normal. I am convinced that taking the birth control pill for 10 years straight has messed up my hormones. Does anyone else have these issues? I want to know if my hormones will eventually go back to being normal naturally or if I have done permanent damage. After starting tricyclen at 14 years old my hair started coming out in fistfuls and I never made the connection that maybe the pill was causing it. I used to have extremely thick hair and now I am down to 7 twists in my ponytail and will only put my hair up while I'm at home because when its up I look like I have bald spots on the sides. Throughout the years I also took Yasmin and Alesse. Please help!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
(female)

Tiggy17 HB User
Smile Re: birth control pill causing permanent hormonal damage?

Hello everyone!

I'm about to go off my bcp yaz I've been on the pill on and off since I was 16 I'm now 31. I am terrified to go off of it because of the horrible cystic acne and other crazy hormonal symptoms. I'm also taking spironolactone and Bactrim and I was also put on klonopin for anxiety caused by a hormonal imbalance. I would just like to say that I've had enough of these medications that are only a quick fix and not curing the root problem of hormonal imbalances. I went off birth control in the past and I ended up in the hospital for about 6 days because of severe pain in my ovaries and I felt like I was going crazy. The mood swings were horrible the fainting and dizzy spells and just feeling like I wanted to die was so overwhelming so I went back on the pill. It's been 6 months since I e been back on the pill and its just not working for me anymore. So Ive decided to take the all natural route and use herbs to control my hormonal imbalance I have read and heard amazing things about Chinese medicine and how much better for your body they are!!! I feel for all of you and it's unfortunate that we are lied to or not told about what will happen after we go off the pill! I've given up on these doctors that prescribe antibiotics and the pill because its a quick fix and they honestly have no idea what they are talking about nor do they care about how what u will go through after stopping the pill. I hope you all just think about it and STOP putting a synthetic hormone in you and ruining your health and bodies! Please look into going on all natural herbs ladies and stop the pill ASAP! I wish u all the best!

Closed Thread