It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

ChaChing HB User
Do i have hirsutism?

I feel like i have almost every symptom of hirsutism except my period isnt irregular. In fact. It usually is off by one or two days and lasts from 4-7 days. Is it still possible for me to have hirsutism even though my period isnt irregular?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
(female)

SkyBlue99 HB User
Re: Do i have hirsutism?

It's possible. Have you seen a doctor?

Do you mind if you quickly summarize what you mean? (For example, by "symptoms", are you only referring to your pattern of hair growth, or are you also referring to other things as well, such as PCOS?)

I myself had hirsutism, but my periods have always been regular and I do not have PCOS. In my case, the doctor offered to prescribe me tablets but I didnt want to take anything internal as I have always been worried about any side-effects of taking medication. As a result, I tackled my problem by getting hair removal and am in my final stages of getting over hirsutism even though it has literally taken years. Almost 10 years. It was the more expensive way of doing things, but it has improved my self-esteem a great deal.

I hope this has helped

The Following User Says Thank You to SkyBlue99 For This Useful Post:
Chanel luv (05-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

Chanel luv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBlue99 View Post
It's possible. Have you seen a doctor?

Do you mind if you quickly summarize what you mean? (For example, by "symptoms", are you only referring to your pattern of hair growth, or are you also referring to other things as well, such as PCOS?)

I myself had hirsutism, but my periods have always been regular and I do not have PCOS. In my case, the doctor offered to prescribe me tablets but I didnt want to take anything internal as I have always been worried about any side-effects of taking medication. As a result, I tackled my problem by getting hair removal and am in my final stages of getting over hirsutism even though it has literally taken years. Almost 10 years. It was the more expensive way of doing things, but it has improved my self-esteem a great deal.

I hope this has helped
Hi Skyblue,

I was just wondering was your testosterone high when you were diagnosed with hirusitism. I recently tested high in testosterone and had some chin hair, no other symptoms of pcos. My periods are normal. Wondering if it is possible to have high testosterone without pcos. I feel doctors are too quick to label everything pcos. Maybe our hormones are just wacky? Thanks.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
(female)

runridge HB User
Unhappy Re: Do i have hirsutism?

Hi guys

Ive had unwanted facial hair for years and have been getting laser! Initially I was happy with the treatment but now it seems that it is stimulating growth! its gotten to the point where facial hair could cover my face if I let it! I am terrified that it will continue to spread

My doctor is not worried about PCOS ..im guessing because I am very lean...but unfortunately she does not know I have been suffering from bulimia. The pill she has prescribed has increased my appetite and is extremely triggering for my eating disorder, as in my insecurity about my hirsutism.

Can anyone offer me any advice(would electrolysis work etc.) This is making me extremely unhappy. It has escalated to the point where I may drop out of college. I am a dental student who is required to wear her hair back.. which obviously causes me great distress and anxiety.

Please help... I feel like there is no end to this problem

Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Hello runridge.

How long have you been getting laser treatments? And how many treatments have you had so far?

Without knowing more I think it's hard to offer specific advice. It could be related to the type of laser you're using, or maybe the settings are too low or maybe your skin/hair color is not ideal for laser treatments.

I've gotten four laser treatments so far and I haven't had much problems with the treatments stimulating facial hair growth. Every now and then I may have a growth spurt of hair, but it never lasts more than a day.

Electrolysis could work but the major downside is unlike a laser, electrolysis only treats one hair at a time.

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
runridge (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
(female)

runridge HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesabers View Post
Hello runridge.

How long have you been getting laser treatments? And how many treatments have you had so far?

Without knowing more I think it's hard to offer specific advice. It could be related to the type of laser you're using, or maybe the settings are too low or maybe your skin/hair color is not ideal for laser treatments.

I've gotten four laser treatments so far and I haven't had much problems with the treatments stimulating facial hair growth. Every now and then I may have a growth spurt of hair, but it never lasts more than a day.

Electrolysis could work but the major downside is unlike a laser, electrolysis only treats one hair at a time.
I have been getting laser on my upper lift since i have been 16( I am now in my early 20s). I don't recall when I started treating my chin but last year I started on the sides of my face and that has been continually spreading further and further down my face. The density and colour of the hair hasn't worsened..literally that new areas have shown growth.

I get treatment every 6-8 weeks. I have pale skin and dark hair so thought laser would be very effective Started on Dianette last week so holding out hope on that!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Have you been increasing the intensity of the laser with each treatment? I've had successful results by doing this and with my last treatment I asked the technician to apply ice to my face so it would be easier to tolerate the pain. Do you feel a moderate amount of pain each time the laser is applied? My technician told me that feeling pain means the laser is treating the hair follicles.

In between sessions, how do you remove your facial hair?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
(female)

runridge HB User

Being honest I did not know the intensity of the laser could be changed! Certain areas do hurt when treated (generally the ones that have the best results) but the physician said I may have a high pain threshold. I trim the hair between treatment, but never wax or use removal creams. I am now looking into the type of laser they use and will possibly try another clinic for my next treatment. Thanks for all your help, glad to hear from someone who appears to know what they are talking about

Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runridge View Post
Thanks for all your help, glad to hear from someone who appears to know what they are talking about
Your welcome.

The type of laser my technician uses is a Light Sheer. The intensity levels are measured in joules.

Something else to consider is whether all of the hair on your face is dark and thus will respond to the treatments. When I look at my face I just see dark colored hairs, but my technician said I have some red and other colored hairs on my chin that may not respond to the laser treatments. It's not real noticeable I think, but no doubt it would be easier for someone trained in removing hair to recognize this variation of hair color.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Closed Thread

Tags
estrogen, hirsutism, period