It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
(male)

montana1984 HB User
Low Test High LH and FSH Is clomid the answer??

Please help me!!

I am 28 yr old male felt low with poor sex drive and general tiredness blood test revealed low test 12.6 or 350, but high LH and FSH levels, doc sent me to endo but he is reluctant to put me on HRT as my test level creeps just in to the "normal range".

Feeling very frustrated but thinking about taking clomid as ive heard this may help, but if my lh levels are high anyway will it have a positive impact on test levels?? dont want to take anything uneccissarily or do any damage can anyone please advise me?

This has been going on for 3 years really struggling to cope any help on here would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
(male)

nicklovin HB User
Re: Low Test High LH and FSH Is clomid the answer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana1984 View Post
Please help me!!

I am 28 yr old male felt low with poor sex drive and general tiredness blood test revealed low test 12.6 or 350, but high LH and FSH levels, doc sent me to endo but he is reluctant to put me on HRT as my test level creeps just in to the "normal range".

Feeling very frustrated but thinking about taking clomid as ive heard this may help, but if my lh levels are high anyway will it have a positive impact on test levels?? dont want to take anything uneccissarily or do any damage can anyone please advise me?

This has been going on for 3 years really struggling to cope any help on here would be greatly appreciated
Hi there,

Sorry for your suffering. I'm going through the same thing, so I know how rough it is. What most doctors fail to understand is that the reference ranges for testosterone levels provided by the lab are NOT based on age. They are a VERY general guide of men of ALL ages testosterone levels, and as such are practically useless in my opinion.

A few studies have been done showing the average testosterone levels of men in different age groups. Men around 25-30 years of age on average have approximate testosterone of 600-700 ng/dl. So even though the range shows you as 'in range', your levels are low for a man your age, and are most likely contributing to the negative effects you're experiencing.

Your LH and FSH most likely signal a testicular disfunction, as they raise when you're pituitary gland senses your body is not producing enough testosterone in an attempt to coax your testicles into producing more. If there is a problem with your testicles, regardless of the pituitary signaling them to, they will not be able to produce more. That is what causes primary hypogonadism.

Taking clomid will likely not help raise your test levels if esscessive conversion to estrogen or binding by SHBG isn't the cause.

If I were you, I'd see a urologist and find out if you have a testicular injury, or something else going on, causing them not to work properly. They can do some imaging tests to determine what is going on. Just don't give up on getting the results that you want and feel are necessary. Most doctors nowadays don't take the patients quality of life into account, and just go the route that's the least hassle, and most likely to be covered by insurance. No one knows how you feel better than you do, and if this is effecting your life negatively, don't hesitate to get a second opinion (or third, fourth, fifth!).

I know it's very discouraging not being taken seriously, and not getting results, especially when your life is being negatively effected by it, but just read up on everything you can, and don't quit until you get the results you want and are feeling good again. Doctors are there to help the patient, most just have seemed to of forgotten that. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck to you!

Last edited by nicklovin; 12-03-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
(male)

montana1984 HB User

Thanks very much for your response.

I have continually made the point to both my endo and doc that my test is not normal for my age, I even provided evidence of medical studies detailing average test levels for age groups, clearly showing I was well below the average.

As you pointed out its easy for them to send you away and let you suffer! The good news is on my last visit to endo he agreed to refer me to Urologist so I am currently waiting for an appointment although this could be a long wait.

My endo did mention a small posibility of my free test being low but blood tests for this on NHS are apparently not available although I do agree with him on that point I think it would be a long shot as I am otherwise fit and healthy.

Due to the timescales involved with my urology appointment, I am very tempted to try a short term low dose of Clomid despite being a long shot Im desperate to try any possible solutions. Ive heard mixed reports about clomid and side effects so I am very aprehensive but stuck in between a rock and a hard place!

You said you are having similiar problems? are you currently undergoing any treatment?

Thanks again for your words of encouragement, makes a big difference being able to put your problems out there and get advice from people in the same situation.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
(male)

nicklovin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana1984 View Post

You said you are having similiar problems? are you currently undergoing any treatment?

No, I'm not currently being treated for low testosterone right now, so I know how frustrating it can be.

I've dealt with a ton of different health problems the past ten years that doctors couldn't give me any explanation for. I was beginning to think it was all in my head and there wasn't anything physically wrong with me.

Last year my third son was born. His birth prompted me to start taking my health more seriously and learn about my health problems, and what could be causing them.

I learned that most of my problems were caused related to obesity, and more specifically the hormonal imbalances that result from (and likely cause) obesity. I made some lifestyle changes and drastically changed my diet, and started feeling great. I lost 95lb over the past year. A few months ago I started having some problems with energy and motivation and feeling depressed again. I had my testosterone levels checked and it was 242ng/dl. I had two more readings done over the past two months and they were at 274ng/dl, and 307ng/dl.

I've also been having problems with my thyroid for the past few years, but wasn't put on any medication for it until just last week.

I saw an endo a month or so ago, and they told me my T levels weren't low enough to warrant TRT, and that my insurance wouldn't cover it. I discussed it with the CRNP at my pcp's office, and he is sending me to discuss it with the doctor. He seemed very hesitant. I go to see the doctor next week to discuss being put on trt, but I'm not optimistic. We'll see what happens.

I've done enough research to know that the low T levels can be contributing to most of the health problems I've been having. The problem is convincing a doctor TRT would be more beneficial than not. I don't plan on giving up until I find out what is causing the low T levels and I'm treated for them.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
(male)

montana1984 HB User

Well good luck for next week hope you get the answer your looking for, I think the key is persistance, If you keep coming bk eventually they have to address the issue.

Low T for me is like suffering from depression but worse!! they are quick enough to give out anti -ds but soo relucatant to address the low t issue

You seem to be heading in the right direction, you obviuosly do a lot of cardio vascular excercise, I find compound power excercises do me the world of good i.e squats deadlifts bench. These excercises have a strong hormonal link and although docs say otherwise i find these do help give it a go!

Ive ordered clomid could be a bad move but havent got much to lose.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
(male)

Dashxx2 HB User

I agree with Nick that clomid probably wont help since you are already making LH. It really sucks that some docs only go by the lab range to decide on TRT. Just the smallest bit of research would show them otherwise. Do they have anti-aging clinics are anything similar where you're at? That might be your best bet if you cant find a doc that's willing to help.

I'm actually taking clomid right now but I still dont feel as good as I did before I crashed about 7 months ago(my total T was only 85) Ill be stopping it soon though, but chances are I'll crash again and need to start TRT.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
(male)

montana1984 HB User

Aside from clomid would H.C.G be another option? Again heard mixed messages in relation to H.C.G but some ppl have told me it can sometimes kick start you down there!

No anti -aging clinics or anything like that im in UK my appointments have been NHS but i decided to pay for private healthcare what a mistake cost me £300 about $500 for an endo to tell me there was nothing he could do!! just depressed me further!!

Feel completeley helpless hence me exploring avenues of self treatment not good i know but dont know where else to turn

Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
(male)

nicklovin HB User

I'm pretty sure hcg wouldn't be likely to help either. I say that because human chorionic gonadotropin is, in my understanding, basically a synthetic analogue for lh, which you're making enough of. Since you're making what should be enough lh to be producing normal t levels, I'd look towards a testicular injury or problem with the actual testicles as the cause. I hope you're able to get this squared away bud.

Reply Reply