It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
(male)

at282000 HB User
Question Low T and Hypothyroid - need advice.

I am a 41 year old male. I'm in good physical shape. I do physical training, normally running 3-4 times a week. I have been suffering from day time tiredness, mental fog, cold hands/feet, joint pain, decreased sex drive and generally not feeling well. My thyroid test is below:

Thyrotropin Sensitive - 3.861 (High), (ref range - 0.358-3.74)

So I was diagnosed as hypothyroid based on the test results and symptoms. I have been taking Levothyroxine 25mcg for two weeks. No real difference yet.

My doctor also wanted to check my testosterone. My results are below:

Testosterone, Serum or Plasma Quantitative EIA Ultrasensitive - 226.5ng/dL (Low), (ref range - 280-800)
Hemolysis Index NORMAL
Lipemia Index TRACE
Icteric Index NORMAL

So I haven't been back to see the doctor yet. I have been doing a lot of reading. Seems like my doctor should take a look at my free and bound testosterone, also the antibodies that are associated with Hashimotos. But that is just me guessing. Does anyone have recommendations on what I should ask/request from my doctor? Is there a big corralation between the two? Will correcting the hypothyroidism fix the low T? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
(male)

SoccerCoachU16 HB User
Re: Low T and Hypothyroid - need advice.

i read your post. I am also a canidate of low Testosterone. I been taking it for 7-8 yrs ?. I started out with gel and then switched over to injectable. much eaisier to deal with cuz its not an everyday thing. Plus i feel its better and def cheeper. I been through the WHOLE thing with all the tests including a brain MRI which was by my request! to find out WHY my level was low/ checking for a pituitary problem such as a tumor. Thank God all was nomal. The diagnosis was HYPOGONADISM! which is probably more common in many men amd they have NO CLUE unless they get a blood Testosterone check. There's a lot to know about it and many tests that should be routienly performed prob quartly or at least every six months. Pesonally i dont feel a whole lot of difference taking it but i do know the important roll it plays in the body and a below or low level is not good.I have in my past 4yrs have always been into weight training and slowly but surely faded out.MY Doc keeps telling me im not going to recieve the benefits of the Testosterone unless i Exersize! do feel that its there waiting for me but need to get off my laziness and DO IT! its rough right now as many hrs as i work. SO let me give you a run down of some things. TOTAL TESTOSTERONE / FREE TEST / ESTRADIOL / OR E2 ! Those three are what your looking for to have checked. The FREE Test is the one that give you the big benefit because its unbound to receptors and is also known as Available. Your going to have to do some researching for yourself if you havent already ? When you take Testosterone your Estradiol will raise along with it. You DONT want that getting too high. Like i said Google all these things and Educate yourself on as much as you can because MANY DOCTORS are not real knowledgeable about the ENDOCRINE SYSTEM and HORMONES. Heres some other things all related that need testing ! SHBG /DHT/ LH /FSH / PROLACTIN /CORTISOL /THYROID PANEL / which you had (some) done?. CBC /COMPREHENSVE METABOLIC PANEL / LIPID PROFILE / PSA / IGF-1. THERE you have it ! these are ALL things that should be checked . Your giong to have to look them up so you know what its all about.
ONE other thing i discovered which i knew was NO secret cuz i snored very bad was i went to a sleep center and found i had sleep apnea. It could be a possiblity with you from your tiredness ? ONE more thing to look up and find out the risks involved of having it .

sorry soo long and good luck ! S.C.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-03-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
(male)

at282000 HB User

Thanks for the reply Coach. Those are the things I have been reading about. It's nice to know that I am looking up the correct information. I just got my results back for my thyroid and it went from 3.861 (High) to 3.717, (ref range - 0.358-3.74). My doc has uped my meds for the thyroid and hopefully that will put me right where I need to be. I see her again this week to start the injectable testosterone. I was using the patch but apparently I am allergic to it. Once I start it I'm really hoping my hormone issues will be solved. Thanks again for the info.

at

Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
(male)

SoccerCoachU16 HB User

Just one more thing ! many doctors will want to give you or have you do an injection once every 2 wks. The Testosterones half life doesnt last that long and its best to divide the amount up and inject once every 5days.This will help keep your level at a steady state.By waiting too long inbetween injections your level will be high at time of injection and and everyday it will taper down and in two wks your level will most likely be low again. This is know as the Roller coaster effect wich is something you do not want ! a up and down.

The Following User Says Thank You to SoccerCoachU16 For This Useful Post:
at282000 (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
(male)

at282000 HB User

Thanks. I'll be sure to have that discussion with my doc in the morning. Next blood test is in May. We'll see how things turn out.

Reply Reply