It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
(male)

Nate3592 HB User
Doctor's Can't Find What's Wrong -- Hypogonadism, Hypothyroidism, & Adrenal Fatigue

Hi everyone. I am new the site and looking for some answers. I am having some very complex hormonal issues.

Right now, doctors don't know why my endocrine system is in such turmoil. My Naturopathic doctor told me it seemed to be "shutting down". Everything seems to be under-producing. I have low testosterone, hypothyroidism, and adrenal fatigue. I take a multivitamin, Synthroid, licorice root and apply Androgel to address to my issues. I am only 21 years old and don't want to be on HRT for life, or I at least would like to know why.

I wonder if it is hypopituitarism.

Treatment

If hypopituitarism is caused by a tumor, you may need surgery to remove the tumor, with or without radiation therapy.
You will need lifelong hormone therapy to replace hormones that are no longer made by organs under the control of the pituitary gland. These may include:
Corticosteroids (cortisol)
Growth hormone
Sex hormones (testosterone for men and estrogen for women)
Thyroid hormone
Drugs are also available to treat related infertility in men and women.

I have issues with three out of the four that we know of. I haven't had my Growth Hormones tested. Is this a legitimate concern looking at my tests?

Please volunteer any information on this or in general.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brief Bio/Description: I am a 20 year old. I have experienced a low quality of life though, since I was twelve years old.

Symptoms: depression, anxiety, constant fatigue, poor motivation, lesser erections, weight gains that are difficult to lose, and poor gains in muscle despite weight lifting

Essentially, I feel like I am turning into a ghost of myself.

Additions (February):

The fatigue is a major symptom lately. Also brain fog.

Peculiarly, after I worked out recently I had two marks on both my shoulders, similar to scratches. Judging from eye, about 5 inches long. I assumed they were stretch marks. They disappeared the day after. I know that high cortisol can cause stretch marks. Obviously, I have low cortisol, but I understand there are cases in which the cortisol rises before it falls. These were not marks from lifting.

When I used the bathroom, I noticed blood on the toilet paper this morning.

When I cough, I feel a pain in the bottom left of my head. Close to my neck.

I don't know if the last two are relevant.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test One- Issued by my Family Doctor

Testosterone, Serum: 265 (348-1197)
"""""
Test Two

TSH: 2.360 (0.450-4.500)
LH: 4.2 (1.7-8.6)
FSH: 1.1 (1.5-12.4)
Testosterone, Serum: 330 (348-1197)
Prolactin: 8.5 (4.0-15.2)
"""""
Test Three- Issued by an Endocrinologist

Free Testosterone(Direct): 9.4 (9.3-26.5)
Testosterone, Total, Lc/Ms: 253.9 (348-1197)
LH: 4.1 (1.7-8.6)
FSH: 1.1 (1.5-12.4)
"""""
Test Four- Issued by an Endocrinologist-- I had been off Prozac for one week at this point. This is the only test I was off it.

Cortisol: 20.8 (2.3-19.4)
TSH: 4.2: (0.450-4.500)

I had an MRI done, and the results came back clear.
"""""
Test Five- Test I requested-- Issued by Family Doctor-- This test was after taking Synthroid 50mcgs

Thyroid Panel With TSH
TSH: 1.930 (0.450-4.500)
Thyroxine (T4): 9.6 (4.5-12.0)
T3 Uptake: 34 (24-39)
Free Thyroxine Index: 3.3 (1.2-4.9)
Thyroid Antibodies
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab: 8 (0-34)
Antithyroglobulin Ab: <20 (0-40)
Luteinizing Hormone (LH): 7.3 (1.7-8.6)
FSH, Serum: 1.3 (1.5-12.4)[/U]
Calcitonin, Serum: <2.0 (0.0-8.4)
Reverse T3, Serum: 21.5 (9.2-24.1)
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy: 32.6 (30.0-100.0)
Triiodothyronine (T3): 115 (71-180)
Estrogens, Total: 83 (40-115)
Ferritin, Serum: 70 (30-400)
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum: 3.7 (2.0-4.4)

Additions (February):

Obviously, my Adrenal Glands are struggling. I wonder how my anxiety and stress come into play.

Salivary Cortisol Test
Morning - 3.8 ng/mL (7.0-10)
Midday - 3.1 ng/mL (3.0-6.0)
Evening - 2.5 ng/mL (2.5-4.0)
Night - 2.2 ng/mL (<1.5)

Recently, it came to my attention that Gluten Intolerance can cause a wide array of hormonal imbalances. I didn't expect anything, however my T-Transglutaminase (Ttg) lgg is high.

Celiac Disease Comprehensive:
T-Transglutaminase (Ttg) lgg: 8 U/mL (0-5 U/mL)
Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum: 102 mg/dL (91-414 mg/dL)
T-Transglutaminase (Ttg) Iga: <2 (0-3)
Deamidated Gliadin Abs, Iga: 3 (0-19)
Deamidated Gliadin Abs, Igg: 6 (0-19)
Endomysial Antibody Iga: Negative

I do not know if this is important, however, these tests were taken at 8 AM. This could cause for the imbalance in some tests, as I had not eaten. I wonder if these are impacted: Calcitonin, Serum; Ferritin, Serum; and/or Vitamin D, 25-Hydoxy.

It is also important to note, I am currently taking: 50mcgs of Synthroid in the morning, 20mgs of Adderall in the morning, and 10mgs of Prozac at night. I started taking Synthroid before the last blood work.

Revision (February): I have bumped my Synthroid to 75mcgs for no other reason that optimization. I have stopped taking Adderall and Prozac. I know that stimulants can hinder the Adrenal Glands. I felt like the Prozac wasn't worth the hassle at 10mgs. It hindered my sexual performance slightly, and if I wasn't getting much out of it I didn't want to continue. I am taking 3.75mgs of Androgel 1.62%. In addition to these prescription medications, I just began taking Licorice Root and Ashwagandha for stress and my Adrenal Glands, as well as a Rainbow Light's Multivitamin.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where I am at Now: My two endocrinologists have diagnosed me with unrelated Hypothyroidism and Hypogonadism caused by poor function of my Thyroid and Pituitary. Both my doctors were sure of their decision so I felt more comfortable, but I am skeptical because it seems unlikely for one my age to suffer from both without an underlying cause.

One week ago I started Androgel 1.62%. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I will try to convince my doctor to prescribe HCG.

Revision (February): Now having adrenal fatigue, I am more believing that there is an underlying cause for my endocrine issues. I have an appointment at John Hopkins March 19. I hope that some headway into an accurate diagnosis will be made then.

Lately, I am feeling hopeless of the situation. Any advice is warmly welcomed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Administrator; 03-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
(male)

dominomo HB User
Re: Doctor's Can't Find What's Wrong -- Hypogonadism, Hypothyroidism, & Adrenal Fatig

your situation is quite common actually. these two things , low testosterone, low thyroid function often appear together. usually with higher than desirable prolactin with abnormal morning cortisol. yours is low: mine is often in the upper range but still within 'normal'.

the multivitamin you are taking has 1000 IU of vit D. Add another 1000 IU by taking a separate vitamin D 1000 IU tab.

your LH is high and appears to be increasing with each passing blood result. so you are sending out signals to produce testosterone but your testicles are not working properly.

the low FSH is something else: I will wait to read the results of your last blood work.

they may wish to test for SHBG.

they may give you a pulse of another hormone to see if it causes a release/production of this.

have you had your subsequent prolactin results yet? a level of 8.2, even with the range that you have given, is not a good result for men to have. I prefer my prolactin level to be 2-4.

you may have had an MRI to rule out a microadenoma or cyst/ tumor . what were the results.?

I will wait to see if you get back to this.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
(female)

twins17 HB User
Re: Doctor's Can't Find What's Wrong -- Hypogonadism, Hypothyroidism, & Adrenal Fatig

No I'm going thru something similar for 2 years.i have hypothyroidism low cortisol and no menstrual cycle.also gained 100 pds in 2 years.been to 15drs and no one can diagnose me nor treat me.i don't know what to do anymore

Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
(male)

dominomo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins17 View Post
No I'm going thru something similar for 2 years.i have hypothyroidism low cortisol and no menstrual cycle.also gained 100 pds in 2 years.been to 15drs and no one can diagnose me nor treat me.i don't know what to do anymore

you may have replied in the wrong thread. as you wrote " no" to start with. your comment has not much to do with the OP's situation.

Having said that, it is good that you bumped this thread.

and I do hope that your situation improves. I do sympathize with you: it's an awful thing to do through, at any age , for either gender and many doctors simply don't know or refuse to listen . They hear you... but they don't listen.

Best of luck

Reply Reply