It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
(male)

lowtinnc HB User
testosterone level of 350 even on androgel

I have had low testosterone levels for probably ten years, and have been on androgel for almost almost that long. I have had numerous symptoms including mental fogginess, memory problems, muscle weakness and facial (muscular) pain for years and years. I recently read that a testosterone level of 350 should be considered low, yet no doctor had ever suggested that the low levels might be a cause of these issues. My question is why? Are doctors not taught these levels should be considered low, or are the articles I've been reading wrong? I intend to bring it up with my physician next week. Btw i am only 46.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
(male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
Re: testosterone level of 350 even on androgel

I was symptomatic and put on meds when my levels were drifting around 280-330 I try to keep my levels around 600-700.

How many grams of angrogel are you using a day?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
(male)

lowtinnc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloom View Post
I was symptomatic and put on meds when my levels were drifting around 280-330 I try to keep my levels around 600-700.

How many grams of angrogel are you using a day?
I am using 1 packet 5gms 1% daily. I went to my doctor today and found out my levels
From six months ago were actually 230! He called it "low normal". I told him i had read
The average levels for someone my age its in the 600s. He reluctantly agreed to "slightly"
Increase my dose if the levels are still that low now. I told him i had been having the brain focus, concentration and memory issues for a long long time, he seemed UN fazed by that
As if this was some minor inconvenience to me! This has been dramatically affecting
affecting my job performance and life for years. I will be changing doctors i think.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
(male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

One issue I've had personally is that absorption is an issue. I found that if my skin is oily, then it doesn't absorb at all. And it washes off.

You could try going off it for two days and see if you feel symptoms worsen. If you don't, then the stuff isn't getting through. At least my experience, after 36 hours I can definitely feel the effects mentally of being low T.

You might try switching to shots and see if that works for you.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
(male)

lowtinnc HB User

Thank you for your input, I'll keep the absorption issue under consideration. My bloodwork is being processed, so hopefully by next week the dr. will give me an increased dosage. my main fear is that what if the increase in dosage doesn't fix the brain fog? I've tried everything else for it, so the low "T" is pretty much my last hope. Difficulty finding right words in speech, difficulty following conversations, focus issues - so you had all these and they cleared up for you?

Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
(male)

I am not entirely sure that my problems were due to just low testosterone, mine is central (due to pituitary) which makes me a bit suspicious that I have other mild deficiencies. So other people may have different experiences than mine.

But yes, once I was treated much of the brain problems were reduced. I'm an engineer, so those kinds of problems are a real concern professionally. I've noticed that if I stop my meds for more than a few days, the mental symptoms come right back.

Recovery for me was drawn out, thinking, mood and sex improved with in three months, metabolism took longer six months to a year.

PS: I have my three lab results from when I was diagnosed. They were 363, 414, 383. And I was in very bad shape. So a level of 350, doesn't sound very good to me. My typical numbers now are 600-800.

PSS: Have you had other labs done? Usually you should have LH, FSH, and others to suss out whether the cause is central (pituitary) or primary.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
(male)

lexer HB User

If you have belly fat and are out of shape, all the testosterone in the world won't help..why? Belly fat and body fat convert testosterone to estrogen. So many doctors don't realize this unless he is an expert in hormone replacement. I do 100 mgs of testosterone cypionate per week and my levels are 612 at the end of the week.
If you don't diet and work out, no reason to take testosterone.

Reply Reply