It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
(male)

iCeNN HB User
21 years old with a low T of 231

***I posted this in the Men's Health section with no replies so I decided to post here, so I hope that's ok.** Hi everyone, first I wanted to say that I have a preexisting anxiety disorder. My testosterone has been in the mid 300(325, 354, etc) range since 2008 as far as I know when I was about 16. I never had my T tested before, but I think it was normal before(also I had a normal puberty) 2008 was right around the time I noticed my memory starting to decline(forgetting words mid sentence, etc), and having brain fog. My testosterone was 429 September of 2012( two weeks after a Clomid 25 day trial prescribed by an endo). And since November I noticed my appetite drop, anxiety get worse along with painful depression, fatigue, thinning hair, horrible brain fog, lowered mental energy, horrible short term memory, less intense emotion(mainly the "happy feeling") and very low sex drive(I'm not sexually active, but I remember up until late 2012, I had such high libido, I always had the urge to masturbate). So I had my testosterone checked last February and it came back 229. I checked it again this month and it was 231. So it obviously dropped. I actually got on an MAOI(an antidepressant) and it helped with my depression a lot and my memory a little, but Im still no where near the normal me. Has anyone here in their early 20s ever had low testosterone? If so did you develop anxiety/depression? If so how severe? Also what about other symptoms? I'm trying to figure out how much of my anxiety(my main issue due to very low mental energy at the moment) is my Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and how much is due to low T. Please share your experiences, as it would really help me out, as give me hope. Thank you for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
(male)

imrj HB User
Re: 21 years old with a low T of 231

your stress could be causing your low T as well....hows your sleep? do you have labs for LH and FSH? this are important to know whats behind the low T....

Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
(male)

iCeNN HB User

If there are others that have low testosterone, please share your story, or just the symptoms you have/had and how much of an impact it had on you. I'm trying to figure out how much of an impact low T has had on others on here. If you take the time to respond, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
(male)

mgrooms04 HB User

I know exactly what you are talking about. I was in my early 20's when my testosterone levels started dropping, but I couldn't get a doctor to listen to me.. the quick fix was antidepressants.. i'm 27 now, anyways, after losing my memory, then the fatigue, aching joints and muscles, migraines, and being bedridden for a year I finally found a doctor who did a hormone panel.

My testosterone came back 150 and thyroid was low. I've been on test cypionate (shots), androgel, and now testosterone pellets. Also, i'm prescribe naturethroid for my thyroid.

YES YES YES.. anxiety is something I didn't start experiencing until my testosterone dropped. My mood was very unstable as well.. I am a happy person and love to laugh but when my testosterone dropped I didn't want to be around anyone.. The smallest thing could **** me off! It sucked because I couldn't control it or explain it. I had severe insomnia as well! Things do get easier once your hormones are leveled out! But, it takes TIME!!!! So, my best advice for you is get a new doctor! You should be in the 700-1000 testosterone range! The sooner you get the problem fixed the better! Because it will only get worse!! Have the doctor check your other hormones as well.. and all pituitary gland hormones!! It is best to figure out why you have the low hormones before you treat the low hormones. I have a damaged pituitary gland. But, you can have pituitary tumor, hypogonadism.. and a few other things that mess with your hormones. Best of luck!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
(male)

iCeNN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrooms04 View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. I was in my early 20's when my testosterone levels started dropping, but I couldn't get a doctor to listen to me.. the quick fix was antidepressants.. i'm 27 now, anyways, after losing my memory, then the fatigue, aching joints and muscles, migraines, and being bedridden for a year I finally found a doctor who did a hormone panel.

My testosterone came back 150 and thyroid was low. I've been on test cypionate (shots), androgel, and now testosterone pellets. Also, i'm prescribe naturethroid for my thyroid.

YES YES YES.. anxiety is something I didn't start experiencing until my testosterone dropped. My mood was very unstable as well.. I am a happy person and love to laugh but when my testosterone dropped I didn't want to be around anyone.. The smallest thing could **** me off! It sucked because I couldn't control it or explain it. I had severe insomnia as well! Things do get easier once your hormones are leveled out! But, it takes TIME!!!! So, my best advice for you is get a new doctor! You should be in the 700-1000 testosterone range! The sooner you get the problem fixed the better! Because it will only get worse!! Have the doctor check your other hormones as well.. and all pituitary gland hormones!! It is best to figure out why you have the low hormones before you treat the low hormones. I have a damaged pituitary gland. But, you can have pituitary tumor, hypogonadism.. and a few other things that mess with your hormones. Best of luck!
Thank you for your reply. I'm pretty sure I have hypogonadism due to having a pituitary microadenoma. My FSH and LH are on the low end of "normal", and my Testosterone has not been higher than 350 for the past 5 years or so. I've checked my other hormones such as Thyroid and cortisol and they are all ok, although my Free T3 was high and so was my TSH last time I had my thyroid checked a few weeks ago. But my thyroid before then has always been completely normal. Thanks again for sharing.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
(male)

mgrooms04 HB User

Have they checked your prolactin? If it's high then that is a sign of a tumor. Also, an MRI.. I had one done at it was only 30 minutes of laying in the machine with beeping. I think the worst part was just them injecting the contrast. If you have any questions or need help feel free to ask!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
(male)

iCeNN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrooms04 View Post
Have they checked your prolactin? If it's high then that is a sign of a tumor. Also, an MRI.. I had one done at it was only 30 minutes of laying in the machine with beeping. I think the worst part was just them injecting the contrast. If you have any questions or need help feel free to ask!
I've had multiple MRIs done. I have a microadenoma, with low prolactin(1.5-2). The adenoma undersecretes FSH and LH, causing secondary hypoganidsm, which is why I have such low T. And I dislike the contrast part too! Thank you for your response, and I'll ask if I have any questions. I appreciate it!

Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
(male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Quick question: If your testosterone is low like this, have you been put on testosterone replacement?

Mine was somewhere around 360-400 and it felt exactly as you describe. Which is to say terrible.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
(male)

iCeNN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloom View Post
Quick question: If your testosterone is low like this, have you been put on testosterone replacement?

Mine was somewhere around 360-400 and it felt exactly as you describe. Which is to say terrible.
If it wasn't for fertility concerns, I would be. But because I'm so young it's best for me to try Clomid and HCG shots first and see how that works out for me. It all just depends on age I guess. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking. And I think it's also good to get your thyroid and cortisol levels checked also, if you haven't already, since you're saying you feel terrible. Thanks for your response!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
(male)

SpiceMan1 HB User

That is a low level of testosterone for your age, your level is what most 80 year old men have, there's many foods that can combat low testosterone, they don't work overnight but neither do pills off the doctor.

One of the best testosterone boosters I've tried is Ginger - powdered/ground Ginger is the most convenient which you can take in tea or just drink on it's own with hot water, 2 cups per day with 1 tea spoon of powder/ground Ginger per cup each day.
Other foods that are powerful testosterone boosters are things like Onions, Royal Jelly, Goji Berries, Garlic and also taking Zinc and Magnesium supplements helps too.

Also do you get enough sun exposure? Vitamin D is great for testosterone -
A high Vitamin D level lowers SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin) SHBG stops your body from producing enough testosterone, with enough Vitamin D your body produces more testosterone and blocks SHBG from forming. If you cannot get enough sun exposure be sure to take 4,000 IU per day in a Vitamin D pill, not any less than 4,000 IU per day and not any higher either.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #11
(male)

iCeNN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceMan1 View Post
That is a low level of testosterone for your age, your level is what most 80 year old men have, there's many foods that can combat low testosterone, they don't work overnight but neither do pills off the doctor.

One of the best testosterone boosters I've tried is Ginger - powdered/ground Ginger is the most convenient which you can take in tea or just drink on it's own with hot water, 2 cups per day with 1 tea spoon of powder/ground Ginger per cup each day.
Other foods that are powerful testosterone boosters are things like Onions, Royal Jelly, Goji Berries, Garlic and also taking Zinc and Magnesium supplements helps too.

Also do you get enough sun exposure? Vitamin D is great for testosterone -
A high Vitamin D level lowers SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin) SHBG stops your body from producing enough testosterone, with enough Vitamin D your body produces more testosterone and blocks SHBG from forming. If you cannot get enough sun exposure be sure to take 4,000 IU per day in a Vitamin D pill, not any less than 4,000 IU per day and not any higher either.

Good luck!
Thank you so much! I'm actually taking 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily, plus 50,000 (or was it 30,000 ?)IU of D2 once a week. And I get decent sun exposure. But I'll keep in mind what you said about Ginger. Appreciate your help.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
(male)

SpiceMan1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCeNN View Post
Thank you so much! I'm actually taking 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily, plus 50,000 (or was it 30,000 ?)IU of D2 once a week. And I get decent sun exposure. But I'll keep in mind what you said about Ginger. Appreciate your help.
You're welcome, just remember to take Ginger before 6pm in the evening as it is stimulatory and may give you insomnia if drunk too late, probably 6pm is the latest I take it. I would say Ginger is right up there in the top 3 food testosterone boosters even though it doesn't taste great it has the effects you want which is the main thing.

Goji Berries and Royal Jelly tablets which you can buy from most natural health stores are also as good as Ginger. Coriander seed/Cilantro seed seems to give me more of a libido too for some reason so that may be worth a try as well. Of course don't try all the foods I've listed all at once, switch the foods round from time to time to give your body a break. You can also buy those Coriander seed/Cilantro seed already grounded too and then sprinkle the seeds on to meat etc

Last edited by SpiceMan1; 05-06-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
(male)

iCeNN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceMan1 View Post
You're welcome, just remember to take Ginger before 6pm in the evening as it is stimulatory and may give you insomnia if drunk too late, probably 6pm is the latest I take it. I would say Ginger is right up there in the top 3 food testosterone boosters even though it doesn't taste great it has the effects you want which is the main thing.

Goji Berries and Royal Jelly tablets which you can buy from most natural health stores are also as good as Ginger. Coriander seed/Cilantro seed seems to give me more of a libido too for some reason so that may be worth a try as well. Of course don't try all the foods I've listed all at once, switch the foods round from time to time to give your body a break. You can also buy those Coriander seed/Cilantro seed already grounded too and then sprinkle the seeds on to meat etc
Thank you for the great suggestions! I appreciate it.

Reply Reply