It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hospice Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 05:06 AM   #1

bellytrouble HB User
Roller Coaster, Hospice and more

Morning all- Im in the tampa area and we did fine with the Willma ... visited mom yesterday as I took the day off from work and she was sitting up, humming and smiling and was very communicative ... Hospice was there and they were very helpful. Mom has been OFF all IV, and cannot swallow based on a swallow test .. However, the Dr. has said IF she wants to eat, drink .. let her try .. it cannot hurt. My hubby took a spongy mouthswab, dunked it in water - VERY LITTLE water and she sucked it dry ! We then dipped a spoon in some thickened juice and she was like a little hungry bird with her mouth open begging for more ... I kept giving her as much as she wanted and she seemed OK ... yesterday was the first day that she acknowledged being in pain so they gave her a morphine derrivitive. She actually was able to raise her hand to her lips and blow us kisses -- she has had NO hand/eye coordination in months. Hubby went this AM (7am) and Mom was resting ok and not in pain. I asked hospice and the nurses .. any chance of a turn around where she MIGHT start being able to swallow and they said - cannot say for sure ... SO as long as she is wanting liquid they can give it to her .. just not able to give spoonfuls .. just little drops at a time so she can taste. I also seem to be the only one that can clean out her mouth. Ok this is gross but when you have nothing coming in, the saliva appears to turn nasty brown and coat the mouth .. my mother had a HUGE ball of this crap but it loosened up when I gave her an icecube to stuck on .. and boy was she really sucking on that and making yummy noises. I know the next 10 -14 days will be up and down and I'm OK today .. Finally slept 2 nights in a row and have some appetite again. The FLIPPING guardian is still a jerk - I had a priest come on Sat. to pray for her - mom is a practicing catholic and dummy said - OH they have preachers ! You would THINK that someone in that position would know what is necessary for spiritual healing ... AUGH !!
My best to everyone on this list. I will keep you all posted.
OH .. I got a voice mail message from someone in PA regarding guardianship as I had an article posted in a local paper here last year .. He is asking ME for help! I will be more than glad to see what I can do.

Love to all

Eileen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: Roller Coaster, Hospice and more

Hi Eileen,

Glad to hear that your mom is at least enjoying a few things. Keep up with her pain meds. A grimace or a frown or a moan, can mean that they are in pain. It is nice that she can taste things.

Why cant the hospice people give her spoonfuls of juice or such? I know it is not against their rules, because they okayed my MIL being fed thru a tube in her stomach - something like Ensure. She also ate little tiny bits of what ever she wanted up until she just did not want to eat anymore.

I am thinking, boy wouldnt a piece of popsicle taste goog to her? Or might she choke on something like that?!

Take care and let us hear again later.

Love, Wannabe

Old 10-26-2005, 04:49 AM   #3

bellytrouble HB User
Re: Roller Coaster, Hospice and more

I saw mom yesterday and the Dr. was there. He was AMAZED that she was so alert and babbling (she really doesn't talk all that much) considering the IV was removed on Friday. I gave her some water ... about 3 drops on a spoon and she liked that .. also they had thickened ice tea and she liked that too. The nurse last night said she would try to feed her a little bit at a time - she ate SOME but not more than 1 teaspoon - but heck, better than nothing. I am calling Hospice today to see if they can maybe get her to eat anything. They were unable to yesterday. I bought some pudding this AM and will bring it to her tonight and see if she wants that. It just seems that she is uncooperative with the staff and only responds to me ... I wish I could take time off from work but cannot financially. Anyway ... the dumbass guardian called me at the NH 2x's yesterday ... at 5:10 pm he needed MY permission to pay for the burial contract ... I told him... not for nothing BUT you should have called me DURING THE DAY and asked for this .. not after business hours and when the Damn courts are closed ... Unreal .. I am so hoping I can get rid of him this week. I will write more later. Hugs to all on this board.

Eileen

Closed Thread