It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hospice Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
New here, FIL just got hospice - just want to understand things better

Hi there, i've never posted here, but I read some posts & wanted to just ask a few things - or maybe more accurately, just talk to someone.

My FIL was diagnosed lung cancer around Thanksgiving; he was scheduled to have the lung removed in late December, but apparently they had found that it spread to his lymph nodes and spine - and deemed it inoperable.

He completed one course of chemo about a month ago or so. Since then, he's been in the hospital one & off. He goes to the ER because he can't breathe, and he has had blood clots in his lung, and a lot of fluid removed. The "cancer free" lunch is apparently ravaged by emphysema.

They tried some sort of treatment where they filled his chest cavity with a "talc" or some type of medicated powder (?) he was so miserable & said he couldn't take the pain anymore. Thankfully they gave him a morphine pump soon after.

Hospice called soon after that. I know what that means, pretty much. They are sending him home tomorrow & I guess hospice will be coming to live with them - at least that's how it sounded.

I'm not sure what to expect now..... how do we know - days, weeks, months ???

I just feel so helpless... it all happened so fast. I saw the guy on New Year's Day - yeah, he was really tired, but he was visting with me & joking around.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - I guess I just needed to share the story more than anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
(female)

tuckygal HB Usertuckygal HB User
Re: New here, FIL just got hospice - just want to understand things better

I am so sorry to hear about your FIL's cancer. My heart aches each time a new person posts here, but we are all here for you. My 'friends' here keep me going each day, knowing I am in their prayers and thoughts. Hospice is a wonderful organization and will give lots of help and comfort to the family as well as your FIL. Please keep us posted on your FIL's condition. You and he and family are among kindred spirits here. God bless.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Thanks Tuckygal, I appreciate your response. I'll definintely come back & keep you posted, as well as continue to read the posts here.
Take care.....

Old 04-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
(female)

tmarie HB User

My dad passed away of lung cancer...like your FIL he was diagnosed in the fall. Hospice came at the end of Feb. Where I live, hospice does not pretty much live with you. They came twice a week and took his vitals and that was about it. I had to beg them to come the night he passed away. It was a Saturday night around 9:00. I was very disappointed. I hope you have better luck and I am praying for your family.....

Old 04-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Thanks tnmarie... Sorry to hear you had a bad time with hospice.

I guess I didn't really understand at first - hospice will also be making visits every other day or so, I guess. This is all new to us so I'm just learning as we go along.

Actually FIL had a very bad night on Friday at the hospital & we thought that it was over.... but today he's coming home via ambulance for hospice care. I'm glad that he is able to be in his own home, with his family, his dog, and any other comforts of home that might make things more comfortable for him.

He said he is not in pain, which is just such a good thing to hear. He was in severe pain up until Friday - but now, I guess he's just too tired to hurt.

Anyway - thanks for caring & listening. WE've been told it will be any day now.

Closed Thread