HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hospice (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hospice/)
-   -   Hospice (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hospice/450436-hospice.html)

gnik 11-29-2006 08:43 AM

Hospice

John is in Hospice care as of Monday. He is it at home and hopefully will be able to stay at home until the end. Another roller coaster ride and a very sad one. I am grateful there is hospice care. We have a hospital bed set up in the living/dining area. They are so gracious and give us whatever we need. Our daughter has stayed with us the last two nights and will come and stay whenever we need her. They live only about 12 miles from us and that is a blessing. Her husband will be here today to allow she and I to get out awhile and to do some shopping.

I am very grateful for this board being here. I can talk about anything here and everyone either understands or has already been there. Thanks all!!

linda

pjoi4 11-29-2006 09:00 AM

Re: Hospice

Linda,

Hospice is nice and they do get you anything that you need. I have been extremely happy with our Hospice care team. They are also there for moral support too. I had to call them yesterday to come and talk to my husband's family because they were beating up on him so badly mentally about his health. They even went as far as to suggest he go and visit another doctor. I must add though that my husband is from a different country than I and I am American and is treated as just that.

Take Care and God Bless

Renea

Janmarie2 11-29-2006 11:00 AM

Linda, Believe me hospice care can be the best. Don't be afriad to call them whenever you need to as they are really there to help. On Saturday when my mom got short of breath and my sister was alone with her and called them they told her to give mom some ativan and it helped alot. Then they came right out to the house and explained how to use the morphine and ativan to keep her comfortable.

Working in a hospital for 25 yrs I know some people panic and call 911 and the person gets rushed to an ER when everything could have been managed in the home,

Our goal was to let my mom have a peacfeul death in the home she loved surrounded by those she loved and hospice made sure that happened. It breaks my heart when I see people die in the hospital as I think dieing like my mom and so many others here did is just so much more peaceful at home. Years ago people did for the most parts die at home and it was a sad day when people started dieing more at a hospital.Hospitals are not the right settings for end of life care.

You take care of yourself. I will pray that John has as peaceful a journey onward as my mom did. You are both in my prayers.

Renea, How I feel for you having to not only deal with your husbands illness but having to deal with his family. One more thing to add to my thankful list as all of my family right down to my cousins never questioned one thing about how we managed my mom's illness or her choice to stop treatment and enter hospice care. I can't imagine having to deal with that. You take care too and you both are also in those prayers.

(((((hugs))))) Janmarie

mabegb 11-29-2006 11:53 PM

linda- im sorry that this is the point that you are at i will pray for john's comfort and peace. i just wanted wanted to let you know i will be saying prayers for you i can't imagine how hard this is for you . take care

ellengrace 11-30-2006 12:44 AM

Linda, this must be such a diffficult time for you and your family: making the transition to have others heavily involved in your husband's care, and having to accept the time has come for such care to be necessary.

I hope you are able to place your trust in your hospice team, and that you do not hestitate to call them at any time. The only real support I have is from my own team, and they are wonderful. I spent two weeks as an inpatient in the Hospice, for what they described as "intensive care", and they really did fix me up and send me home in better health, and continue to care for me and for anything I need, week after week.

Whilst there, I had the chance to observe the way other patients were treated, patients who were nearing their final days, and I pray I will end my time in the Hospice and receive that level of care.

The hospice people are a dedicated force who will care about you, both you and John.

You have shared before about the support you receive from your daughter and son-in-law...you are truly blessed to have them. You are all in my prayers.

gnik 11-30-2006 08:07 AM

My John passed away peacefully in his sleep last night at 11:30. Hospice was able to get his agitation controlled so he could sleep. They were wonderful and I am so grateful he was able to remain at home with the ones he loved most and who loved him most.

Thank all of you for all of the support and love I received from each of you. I will continue to post at a later time.

God Bless Us All.

linda

Janmarie2 11-30-2006 10:01 AM

Linda,

You have my deepest sympathies . I am glad to hear that John like my mom had a peaceful transition onward and was able to be at home surrounded by his loved ones. That does make a huge difference. :angel:

My prayers are with you and your family as you adapt to this huge loss. God be with you . Take care my friend, JanMarie

Kimslos 11-30-2006 03:11 PM

Linda,
I am so sorry John lost his battle. My prayers will be with you and your family. You take care of yourself.
Kim

jeaniek 12-01-2006 12:45 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.
It is wonderful that he passed on peacefully surrounded by people who loved him and who he loved.
I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers...
Take care~

cher1052 12-01-2006 03:45 AM

Linda, I just saw your last post-my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hospice helped my family also when my mom passed away a few months ago from cancer. They are the most wonderful group of people around in times like this. Again, my thoughts and prayers..((((hugs))))) Cher :angel:

rockie 12-01-2006 05:11 AM

Dear Linda, you have my deepest sympathy-I know how tough it is to watch someone you love so much go through so much pain. Thank God for hospice because like you, my Bud passed away at home, in my arms and surrounded by loved ones. When I look up at the starry night next time, I'll see another new star twinkling up there with Bud, Pat, Joe, Becky and Jeff. John's star will shine bright as he looks down up you and watches over you. Heaven has received a lot of angels lately, I pray that Jesus helps us stay strong and continue on with courage.

Take care of yourself. I'll keep you in my prayers for the coming weeks will be tough.

Love, prayers, peace and healing...

Jan

pjoi4 12-02-2006 04:10 PM

Linda,

You have my deepest sympathy. I have been so consumed and wrapped of with all of my own troubles I did not get a chance to say I am sorry for your loss. I had hoped you would have longer. My husband has had hospice care now for over two months and it has been very difficult for me to get him and his family to accept it.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Renea

sandrasauer 01-05-2007 10:30 PM

I'm looking into the future a little bit, but I am concerned about the personal hygein issues with my father, he wants to be home until he leaves us and that is the way it will be, but, god help me, I'm not totally confident I can handle the personal bathing and stuff, is that something hospice helps families with?
Sandra