It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hospice Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
(female)

terressa HB User
Entering hospice care....

My MIL has been placed on hospice. Though my SIL refuses to believe it;two doctors have told us she qualifies. She is in a NH. In the last month or so she has really gone downhill. Two weeks ago she was admitted to the hospital for aspiration pneumonia and sepsis. My SIL refused to sign a DNR and after tons of life saving efforts and tests she bounced back. She has now since signed the DNR. She still has good/bad days. Eating and drinking hardly at all;incontinent;wheelchair bound;starting to speak less and less. If the NH would let her; she would stay in bed all day. And she now has a blank watery eye stare on her face most of the time. She has ALOT of health issues besides her AD.I know the end is closer than the family thinks. I would say she is in late stage 6/early 7. Hopefully she will not make it all the way through stage 7 and the end will be quiet and painless. I hope my SIL will be able to stick to this....as this will be a tough time with no trips to the ER or meds. Are any of you at this stage with your loved one?

Old 07-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Entering hospice care....

My mother is in stage 6/7 of Dementia, but not entirely bedridden. She is taken out of her bed in the morning and spends the day in a wheelchair. She is incontinent, cannot swallow anything but pureed foods and thickened liquids, and has no interest in eating. She sleeps a lot - probably half of the day and all night.

She has been in a good NH since Sept 2005, and they give her good care. I don't know if hospice will be called in at the end. Mom has had a do not resuscitate order for many years, signed by herself when she was in her right mind.

Besides dementia she has heart failure and a small lung cancer. She has circulation caused sores on her legs. The staff is constantly treating them with salves, pressure bandages, and more - but they never heal. In fact her legs are entirely blue.

In December the doctor said she had about 3 months to live. Well now it is July.

There is no way to tell. Maybe she will reach her 99th birthday in October!

Iam half packed to go there (Long Island) at a moment's notice if she takes a turn for the worse.

I think there is no way anyone can predict the remaining length of life. This is a hard time for anybody - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
(female)

terressa HB User
Re: Entering hospice care....

After a 2 1/2 hour meeting with hospice my SIL signed the papers. We were all so relieved. But the next morning she had a change of heart;and said she wanted her to have PT which would than NOT qualify her for hospice. What good is PT going to do for a pt. thats been in a wheelchair for 7 months!? So back to square one...she promises no more trips to the ER...but we'll see. Just waiting on the next "episode" for my MIL as they seem to happen every 2-3 weeks or so. such a long journey.......

Closed Thread