It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hospice Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
(female)

marypar HB User
Last stage - can you stay home with hospice care?

Hi,
Can a preson with alzheimer's remain in the home until death by having hospice care. Would hospice care mean a 24X7 nurse?
thanks
maryann

Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Last stage - can you stay home with hospice care?

Dear Maryann,

I'm sorry, I do't know the answer to your question. You could try looking up 'Hospice' on the internet. Or ask your doctor. I have a feeling they do come to people's homes, but am not sure. Good luck!

Love,
Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, they are not there 24/7. But one could certainly stay home at the end...but someone would need be there all the time. Hospice just doesn't provide that level of care. Medicare pays for hospice but there is a limit on the amount ($3000 a month I think) so that would preclude hospice being there 24/7 as they provide other services. They provide the pain meds, etc.
You might check with medicare or a local hospice group.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

Raffeer HB User

I think it probably depends on the particular hospice group or maybe the geographic area. Call around. I have had two friends who have been under hospice care in their homes here in South Florida. In both cases hospice had an aide on duty 24/7.
I hope you can find the assistance you need. It makes a big difference.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

The way I understand this--someone (like a relative, friend or nurse) is in the home 24/7 looking after the patient and hospice comes when you need them. Remember, hospice does not try to keep someone alive..Their role is to provide comfort for the patient as death comes, and support for the family thru a very trying time.

hospice is not an alternative for home health care.
As the end of life approaches, hospice is called and then they get involved...You also must plan for this...You have to be able to prove that the patient will not live much longer.

Usually hospice wants a letter from the doctor stating that death is days, or weeks, maybe months away before they will accept them as a patient.

That was our experience with hospice in Alabama. And by the way, they were really wonderful. They kept my father in law out of the hospital the last month of his life. We knew he was dying and a hospital's duty is to give life, but hospice will not prolong life. For that you must go to a hospital...
they give comfort during the last stages. they are truly angels of mercy.

Last edited by golfhat; 07-29-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typos

Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
(male)

MIMPHISTO HB User

Yes agreed it's only comfort care, you can contact any agency for care such as Nightengale, Interem, Maxim..they all have CNA's or nurses, but you'll spend about $20 to $25 an hour. But it's worth a break, remember this is a difficult time and you'll need breaks. Good luck.

Closed Thread