It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hospice Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Hospice

Can you all share with me when you called in hospice? My dad is termanilly ill though he has us to come over to his apartment and cook for him etc... I hear its best to call in hospice sooner (even for them to stop by once a weeK) vs later in order to build a relationship.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
(female)

imjensmom HB User
Re: Hospice

K2626, I lost my dad to lung cancer in 1991. My mom called Hospice in early April when the Doc said he had about 3 months to live. He died the middle of June. They were absolutely invaluable. I don't know that my mom could have kept my Dad at home if we had not had Hospice. If your Dad agrees, I would say call them sooner rather than later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
(female)

skip_to_my_lou HB User

I work in hospice and know how important to get the patient on hospice early rather than late. It's about keeping the person comfortable, and helping the patient and family with emotional and spiritual issues. The hospice team will be able to help your dad with any medical, pain, anxiety, spiritual, and emotional needs that arise during the process. They are also there to be of support to you and your family. It's important to be proactive instead of reactive. It makes for a good a situation overall.

Depending on the hospice you choose, the frequency of visits will vary for each team member. Typically the nurse will visit 3-5 times a week plus anytime a need arises after hours. The hospice aide will visit 3-5 times a week to help with care needs. Social work at least once a week or more if needed. Spiritual care will visit at least 2-4 times a month or more if needed. Some hospices provide massage therapy (provided by a certified massage therapist) and music therapy (provided by a board certified music therapist). It really is a benefit to have your dad be on hospice rather than later. I know this is a tough time for your dad, you and your family and a difficult decision to make. I hope this helps you a little bit.

If you have any questions about hospice or any services offered, feel free to ask me.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks for your feedback. This is exactly what I thought. However, my sister said my dads oncologist said he does not fit into the hospice phylosiophy since he getting chemo, I disagreed and my sister said " I think the dr knows what he is talking about".My dad is having chemo to help with the pain, not to cure the disease. He has been given less than 2 to 4 months to live, and if the chemo works it may buy him 2 more months. He is depressed, tired, weak, and not comfortable all the time. He is a totally different person. I called the hospice we originally talked to and they said he is most definately a candidate. Thanks again for your feedback. This is such a very difficult time.

Last edited by k2626; 06-11-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
(female)

skip_to_my_lou HB User

It sounds like he's candidate for hospice now. He can still get palliative chemo while on hospice if it is for comfort measures. We've had people who get palliative radiation for comfort measures. My thoughts are with you.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
(female)

eblguim HB User

My husband died in the begining of this week after being under hospice care since March. I am sure he would not have survived this long if he was not under hospice care. They made him so comfortable that I really think it extended his life - not only quantity, but quality.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I am so sorry to hear for your loss and most definately feel your pain.......

My family met with hospice today and my dad was very impressed Apparently he was even flirting with the woman, laugh.....

According to my dads oncologist, we cant to with hospice while my dad is going through chemo, so I guess we will wait until chemo is no longer an option and until my dad really needs it.

Again, I am sorry for your loss (hugs)

Last edited by k2626; 06-13-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

we just lost mom a few days ago. she was on hospice for about four months. I believe hospice can prescribe more pain control measures, for instance morphine every hour as opposed to every four hours in the hospital. That was very important to us.

My mom had lung cancer and had a horrible time breathing. while in hospice, we were able to give her enough morphine to make her breathing better....or at least she didn't mind it.

they were truly a Godsend for our family. The aides were wonderful, caring, compassionate. I can't say enough about them. One came to the funeral today, and I'm sure others, including the nurse will stop by in the coming days.

truly a remarkable service imo

Old 07-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
(female)

LaurieBelle HB User

As for when to call Hospice in, it really does vary from person to person. And sometimes circumstances do change, and the unexpected happens. I mean that in a good way.

In my mother's case, Hospice was brought in when everything that could have possibly been done by all doctors had been done. After everything, I mean EVERYTHING possible had been done (after 1 1/2 years of strong chemo to treat stage IV cancer), and there were no other options whatsoever, my mother chose to go home to spend the rest of her life. It was then that Hospice was suggested by the social worker at the hospital.

And they were outstanding people. I can't say enough good things about Hospice. They are angels on earth.

Thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
(female)

Marie1973 HB User

My dad is on hospice at home.(well he's coming off next Thursday because he's gotton much better & we are going for the biopsy.)

We were offered hospice while inpatient in the hospital,by the pallative care APRN.My dad's doc referred it because he didn't want any treatment & they said he was dying.
I had though it was so immenant,that when she asked me what I wanted to do,I first said "well can we just stay here?"{-The oncology floors at the hospital are usualy the friendliest & most caring.It's seems as though they pick the best of the best for the oncology floors (thats been my experience anyway).}They answer the call bell in seconds.

The APRN responded saying "well if it was a matter of days but we're talking weeks." Anyway,I had been praying for my dad not to die in the hospital,as he didn't even want to go to the ER that night.(though I'm glad we did because he was treated for the pneumonia and plus we found out about hospice) He's always been a healthy man-just hadn't gone for a check up in about 8 yrs,which is why I guess,the tumor was so large when they discovered it.

Anyway,hospice workers are wonderful.You can reach them at anytime for any little or big question.They set up a hospital bed in my living room,bedside table,commode, walker ,oxygen and portable oxygen, for my dad.Their goal is comfort.They use no needles-nothing invasive.

My dad has a massage therapist once a week-that he really enjoys.He has a social worker,chaplain if needed,and cna as often as neeeded-up to 7 days a week.

The only thing when you are on hospice,you basically relinquish your rights to further treatment-while on medicare.You will have to self pay for any treatment,or get off hospice.
They do not try to stop you,and welcome you back.If you do revoke hospice,they offer home care programs which allow you to keep the bed and oxygen-and other needed items.

We got off hospice once ,a few weeks ago, when dad was going to try chemo.After 2 days,we switched back to hospice.

Now that he is much better than then,and has been for the past 5 days-thank God,we are going for the biopsy,scheduled for July 18th. I would like to find out if he's a candidate for Tarceva or the cyber knife procedure.
I have read wonderful things about Tarceva.

Anyway,hospice is great to have.You can always change your mind as much as you want-if you need to.

We haven't tried any kind of treatment yet.As long as he stays in this shape,we can at least find out what it is.

Good luck to you & your dad,
Marie

Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #11
(female)

Marie1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_to_my_lou View Post
It sounds like he's candidate for hospice now. He can still get palliative chemo while on hospice if it is for comfort measures. We've had people who get palliative radiation for comfort measures. My thoughts are with you.
This was the issue with my dad as well.The oncologist said it was palliative treatment so we could get it & be on hospice.But the medical director at the hospice looked up the medicine and said it was considered "seeking further treatment" so we could not do both at the same time.

Even though the oncologist said it would not prolong my dad's life-just head off problems.Anyway, we switched back to hospice before getting the chemo.

Closed Thread