It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hospice Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Concerning question about hospice!

Hi all. My dads oncologist said that if my dad is getting chemo done than he does not fit into the "phyliosophy of hospice". My dad is getting palliative chemo, meaning its ONLY to reduce pain. My dad has 2 to 4 months to live and just had his first chemo appt, he IS in pain. I called the hospice directly and they said the oncologist is WRONG that my Dad IS a candidate because the chemo is not agressive and is for pain management. Well today the oncologist called and said if he is going to be getting hospice care then they are not going to do the chemo on him, that he needs to choose one or the other!

This is VERY fishy to me. I think this is a MONEY issue for the oncologist. Why would the oncologist pull his chemo when he needs hospice to control pain, when he IS in pain? Its NOT the oncologist position to say my dad is not a candidate for hospice when hospice says he is.

Is this weird? I think that once my dad is on hospice the doctor may have to bill differently. If you feel this IS odd, I am going to ask the oncologist to put this in writing and I WILL pursue a lawsuit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User
Re: Concerning question about hospice!

Did hospice say they could give him chemo? Hospice is about dying with dignity and helping the patient and the family during this process.
Talk further with hospice. They may have other meds that will dull the pain or they might be able to give him the chemo. Hospice does not try to extend life but help all involved understand and try to eliminate the pain for the patient.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread