It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hospice Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
(female)

yanksgirl HB User
Unhappy Kidney failure--on hospice

How long can one live when kidney's have failed or at least are functioning less than 10 %? A loved one, on Hospice at home, has good days and bad--serious mental confusion, though knows everyone, just can't remember what took place 5 mins. ago. Carries on conversations but can't begin one at all. In bed 95 % of the day, appetite is small but good--when it's foods liked. Are we looking at days, weeks, perhaps months? At first it was a shock, then we felt it wouldn't be long, but now, with loving care and lots of prayers, our loved one seems to be holding their own. I realize no one knows exactly but do wonder if others have faced this and what comments you may have? Our family member is almost 90. No pain, just feels 'awful' most of the time and is very weak. Not a candidate for dialysis due to heart and b/p problems. thank you.
concerned!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
(female)

deedee1313 HB User
Re: Kidney failure--on hospice

My husband was on dialysis.He felt awful most of the time.He hated dialysis.He would often talk about quitting so I started doing a little research to find out what would happen if he did.There aren't any absolutes with this.A person can live for days and sometimes monthes.The one thing that was said that you need to limit fluids.If the kidneys aren't working properly you aren't able to get rid of fluids.The fluids will build up around the heart causing conjestive heart failure.From what I read this can be very uncomfortable.My husbands kidney's were only functioning at 2% so I can't say what happens at 10%.Maybe there is enough function at 10% to keep a person going for awhile.I understand what you are going through.Sadly my husband couldn't fight off an infection due to his immune system and died.He was only 52.I wish He had been home in his bed instead of in the hospital.I think you are doing what is best for your loved one.You are making their last days the best for them that you can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

yanksgirl HB User
Re: Kidney failure--on hospice

My sympathy to you with the loss of your husband--at such an early age too. Thank you for taking time to comment and offer your personal experience. My sister seems to be thirstier than she ever was, but only drinks when she's out of bed (very infrequently) and in small amounts. So far her lungs are doing well. She's so frail though that we are truly concerned. Again, than you for your kind words.

Last edited by yanksgirl; 01-30-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Closed Thread