It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hospice Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Brother-in-law lung, brain cancer - hospice

I've posted some info on my bil over time. He is now home with hospice once a week, but they come in if he needs them more. He was just given a wheelchair since he can no longer walk. Said his knees don't want to support him anymore. His feet feel like rocks and are swollen. Can't use arms too well either. There is only pain meds now and steroids. No more doctor appointments or treatment. They gave him 2 to 4 months and that was about a month ago.

He spends a lot of time in bed. Still eating and was taking daily walks until a few days ago. Very winded when talking. I live in another state so I can't get to see him as much as I want. I went there for a week not too long ago.

He's not having seizures as much, but that is due to the meds. So a little over a year ago is when this all started. He had his left lung removed. Cancer mets to his brain. Had a 5cm tumor removed. 2 smaller ones are inoperable. Had radiation to shrink. Treatments stopped. Fluid built up in places where tumor was. Steroids helped reduce swelling and give him some appetite and strength.

Watching what cancer does to a person is a slow agonizing pain that humanity should not have to deal with. All this money raised for cures and whatever treatments there are only a few people can try. False hope.

The only strength we have now is in God. That is where our thoughts and prayers are best placed. God bless us all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Brother-in-law lung, brain cancer - hospice

Yesterday the doctor told my sister that my bil has 6 to 8 weeks. He is now on 24/7 hospice care, paralyzed from waist down, and increased pain meds. His left foot is very swollen and it his leg is also starting to swell. He asked my sister a long time ago not to tell him how long he has left. I think with the people visiting and phone calls, he'll know it is soon.

When my 49 yo brother was dying of esophogus cancer, they said the same thing - 6 to 8 weeks. He died the next day. No one can really know. I pray for him and all who are dealing with this monster of a disease.

Last edited by sawbuck44; 05-11-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, we are in the final days of my brother-in-law's life. Today they put him on a morphine pump. He has lost use of his arms and his hands don't work very well either. In a lot of pain, ate up until yesterday, no urine in bag, has to have bm's removed by nurse, confused, and told my sister he was ready to go.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

angg33 HB User

Thank you for sharing the story with us. It helps. Im sorry for the suffering your b-i-l and the family must endure during this time.
My mom lasted about 5 days after being put on the pump/no urine in bag for about 2 days. no eating for about 1 week. She went peacefully, as the morphine kept her sedated....and out of the horrible pain she was previously experiencing.
God bless

Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi JoJo, my bil passed away on Memorial Day. He had been on a morphine pump for a few days, then moved to hospice and died within a day. The morphine pump didn't help his pain. My sister had to hit the button every 15 minutes for him as he no longer had use of his arms or hands. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2/09. Long, painful road.

Wanted to clarify that he was at-home hospice and then was moved to a hospice.

Last edited by sawbuck44; 06-02-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
(female)

angg33 HB User

God bless you and the family during this time. I know we always say "well, at least they arent suffering anymore"....but thats the truth. Thank God that its over. But....I still pray for healing for others that are going thru it. What a tragic loss of life...each time it happens.
God Bless you!!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you JoJo, my sister is having a memorial where she lives and then she is coming up here to also have one. At her home state, the funeral director said she could bring her husband's dragster and put it out front. They are going to start it up. So wish I could be there.

I'm getting kind of nervous, I have cried a lot since he was diagnosed, but haven't yet since he died. I don't want to break down at the memorial which I know is okay to do.

Closed Thread