It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hospice Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
(male)

canada122 HB User
death bed visions in hospice

Hi,
I was wondering whether anyone has witnessed death bed visions of the dying? If you have, have the dying ever had visions of those that were living at the time of the vision (but in other parts of the country, etc) or nonsensical visions (e.g. pink elephants and other such nonsensical images)? Or do the dying only have visions (and perhaps speak to) those that have already passed on as well as things like beings of light (which some dying-depending on their belief systems- perceive to be Jesus, etc.)?

If those dying having visions only perceive those that have already died, but not the living, this would seem suggestive that this may be more than just a hallucination caused by medicines or physiological processes resulting from the dying process.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by mod85; 04-04-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: re death bed visions in hospice

Hi Cananda.
I do not think there is a single answer to your question. When people are highly medicated, as you suggested, hallucinations and visions of people who are not there (but may be very well alive, and simply on the patient's mind) happen. Also true, is that when a patient is close to actively dying, they often see deceased loved ones, who are "waiting for them", or so they tell those of us who are able to listen...
It can all be very upsetting to the loved ones who are bedside, but it can be comorting to the patient.
Hospice patients vary from case to case, and diagnosis to diagnosis. There is never the exact same situation/ outcome....but its a very good question you asked.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
(female)

MissChrissy HB User
Re: re death bed visions in hospice

When my great grandfather died from complications of a stroke he would talk nonstop to my great grand mother, who had died some 10 years earlier. Sometimes he would give orders to invisible men like he was still a Leutinent in WW2. He would also speak in French cause he thought he was in Sicily again. Right before he died he said he saw Jesus outside his window in a boat. When my mom died about 13 months later she talked to my great grand father alot. I think its a combo between the meds & comfort when they are dyin Altho, being a spiritual person, I think it could be more than the dope.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
(female)

wynnsldy HB User
Post Re: death bed visions in hospice

I have seen many different versions of what you are asking about. Depending on their disease process itself. a person may or may not have hallucinations which may cause them to see family that have already passed or even see animals, which seems strange to their love ones of course. And then there are those that as they near the end of their journey who start to see those who are waiting for them on the other side, which is sometimes what helps their passing be as peaceful as it can be. The best thing to do in those situations is to tell them at that time that it is ok for them to go ahead and be with whoever it is they are talking about because most times they won't let go without some sort of approval that who ever they are leaving behind will be ok without them. Now granted we may very well struggle like crazy once they are gone but they isn't for them to carry with them that is for us to deal with, by working with our family and friends and support sysytems here for us.
Now to the other part of your question, I myself, have had several experinences with spirits being around me, either touching me, whispering to me or me seeing them. So I do not in NO WAY NO HOW NO SHAPE FORM believe that it the medication and WILL NEVER belief that!!!!

Last edited by mod85; 04-04-2013 at 06:43 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to wynnsldy For This Useful Post:
ccheric (03-28-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
(female)

blackiesheep HB User
Re: death bed visions in hospice

My grandmother before she passed away used to tell me and my mom that she saw my grandpa (her husband) standing on a bridge greeting her.

She sometimes also had dreams of those that she interacted with earlier in her life who were deceased as well.

Also she would crave certain foods - beansprouts and tofu.

Reply Reply