It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

My story ... normal-hpv-cin-cryo

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
justme2736
(female)

justme2736 HB User
My story ... normal-hpv-cin-cryo

I've had annual paps since I was 15 years old (I am now 30) and have all been normal (same partner for the past 9 years). I'm on birth control and don't really get my period but everything has always been normal. This past July 2015 my pap came back Abnormal (new partner) (ascus) but hpv negative. My doctor said not to worry and come back in 6 months for a retest which I did. This time it came back Abnormal (ascus) and hpv positive. He told me to come in for a colposcopy and biopsy which I did within the week... this procedure was awful for me (normal paps are generally painful for me this was almost unbearable), he took 4 "swabs" of samples as well as 4 punch biopsies. He was very rude and cold as well as the nurse, wouldn't answer any of my questions and everytime I did raised his voice at me for questioning his medical decisions. He told me to go "believe whatever theory you want then!", and also that me and my new long term bf will have to wear condoms forever bc we will continue to pass the high risk hpv back and forth and he'll have to "scrape my cervix until there's nothing left", unprofessional and inaccurate according to everything i've read.... I waited 4 days for the biopsy results (which seemed like an eternity, I cried everyday, I tried calling hot lines and other doctors for answers but nobody would talk to me). He told me if the results come back conclusive he'll do cryo. The results were back and it confirmed CIN 1. He said I needed to immediately come in for cryotherapy so the next day (only 4 days since the colpo/biop) I was in there for cryotherapy. It did not hurt much compared to the last procedure but the cramping was pretty bad. I got up immediately feeling okay after being lectured about not having safe sex, went to the office - where I almost passed out. I felt a rush of heat come to my face and started crying and could barely stand (later I read that this was a side effect and that they should monitor you for a bit after the procedure). I asked about side effects, what to expect (discharge, etc) and was rushed out the door without many answers. At this point I decided it is time for a NEW DOCTOR. I found a woman who had great reviews online and she got me right in. It was a breath of fresh air, someone who was a bit younger, would listen, and answer. She told me that if I were here patient she wouldn't have been so aggressive with treating this, and would have waited to to see if my body fought it on it's own and that as long as it didn't get worse we would have played the waiting game. She also told me that my boyfriend and I WILL NOT continue to pass the virus back and forth, that I can resume sexual activity after the discharge stops (about 6 weeks) and at that point I should use condoms just until I test negative (to help my body fight it and to prevent infection). She advised to also sustain from oral activity until testing negative as there's not much research results yet to whether or not it could lead to mouth-area cancer. She scheduled me for a repeat pap in 6 months (and not a post op checkup in 6 weeks like he suggested).
Fast forward it has been 2 weeks since the cryo, and the discharge is finally almost under control (still have to wear pads though). It started out so bad that I needed to wear depends under my clothing throughout the day! I still do at night. So here I am, waiting for the next 6 months to go by to see if it worked.... Just thought i'd share my story!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: My story.. normal-hpv-cin-cryo

Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry you were treated in such a demeaning way and were subjected to what was likely an unnecessary procedure. At least it was cryosurgery versus LEEP or cone which are supposed to be more damaging to the cervix.

I am glad you found a new doctor who is open and honest with her patients. It is unusual for a doctor to "pass judgment" on another doctor. But, in my opinion, more need to do this in situations like yours. There is too much of a "white coat of silence."

I was also over-treated by a gynecologist. In my case, my medical records proved there was some "shenanigans" going on. My intuition tried to tell me something wasn't right about my doctor's treatment recommendation or his sense of urgency but having been his patient for 20 years clouded my judgment.

Hopefully your story will help some other women here. Hoping you get good news in 6 months!

Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
justme2736
(female)

justme2736 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry you were treated in such a demeaning way and were subjected to what was likely an unnecessary procedure. At least it was cryosurgery versus LEEP or cone which are supposed to be more damaging to the cervix.

I am glad you found a new doctor who is open and honest with her patients. It is unusual for a doctor to "pass judgment" on another doctor. But, in my opinion, more need to do this in situations like yours. There is too much of a "white coat of silence."

I was also over-treated by a gynecologist. In my case, my medical records proved there was some "shenanigans" going on. My intuition tried to tell me something wasn't right about my doctor's treatment recommendation or his sense of urgency but having been his patient for 20 years clouded my judgment.

Hopefully your story will help some other women here. Hoping you get good news in 6 months!

Thank you for your response! It took a good 6-7 weeks for the discharge to finally stop, and then everything has seemed back to normal, so much so that I almost forgot about it. But my calendar reminded me that the beginning of August I will be going for my pap at my new doctor to see what the deal is... now the worrying starts all over again.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I had CIN 3 over 30 years ago and had cryo and it was ok after that. I think your doctor is giving you mis-information about passing it back and forth. I can't understand why she would say you wouldn't with your current partner, since he obviously has it.....you never had it before, put 2 and 2 together.....
He isn't being treated, so why wouldn't it come back? I'd keep using condoms if I were you.
btw I also had a bad experience with the first gyno, and she was a female. She was insulting me and making me cry during the colposcopy. What's wrong with these doctors?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
justme2736
(female)

justme2736 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
I had CIN 3 over 30 years ago and had cryo and it was ok after that. I think your doctor is giving you mis-information about passing it back and forth. I can't understand why she would say you wouldn't with your current partner, since he obviously has it.....you never had it before, put 2 and 2 together.....
He isn't being treated, so why wouldn't it come back? I'd keep using condoms if I were you.
btw I also had a bad experience with the first gyno, and she was a female. She was insulting me and making me cry during the colposcopy. What's wrong with these doctors?
Thanks for your response! I'm hoping everything is okay with me as well. The way the new doctor explained it (about the passing back and forth), is now that I have it I will ALWAYS have the virus in me (whether it shows cell changes or not, whether it goes dormant or not). So there's no way I can continue to get a virus that I now already have and will always have. She explained that the virus itself can't be treated, just the cell changes that are caused by the virus.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-29-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #6
baseballbebe
(female)

baseballbebe HB User
Re: My story ... normal-hpv-cin-cryo

Thank you for your story. I'm also very sorry you had such horrible treatment by a doctor. It's pretty sad that medical professionals feel the need to make you feel even worse during such a crappy situation! I know what you mean about the colposcopy! Goodness! That was one of the most painful things I've ever had to do *shudders*. Hopefully your discomfort and anxiety around this is soon over!

Old 11-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #7
justme2736
(female)

justme2736 HB User

Update! In September I went for my first PAP since the cryo, it came back Abnormal again... Shortly after these results I went in for another colposcopy/biopsy (I cannot believe how much it did NOT hurt this time! She had me cough during the 'punches' and was so very kind throughout the whole procedure explaining every detail. What a difference!) Two weeks seemed like eternity but I got the call to come in and discuss my results - they were completely NORMAL! I cried tears of joy, I could not believe it. I go for another pap in 6 months, she said once I get 3 normal's in a row I can go back to annual checks. *fingers crossed*.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

So glad to hear this good news! I hope all is normal with your next one too. Thanks for updating us.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #9
justme2736
(female)

justme2736 HB User

Update - my March pap came back normal (but they did not re-test for HPV at this time). A week ago I went for my 6 month pap/hpv test and I just got the call that the pap was normal but the hpv still testing positive, I have ANOTHER colposcopy next week.. Will this ever end?

Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

Since your pap was normal why are they doing a colposcopy? And based on this thread, it sounds like you only had CIN 1 which usually resolves on its own, no intervention needed. HPV is common and can come and go and usually doesn't cause any problems. There are two high risk types that cause most cases of cervical cancer. And cervical cancer typically takes many years to develop from abnormal cells.

Reply Reply