It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 01:19 AM   #1

jackstephan1 HB User
Married with HPV/genital warts...need some advice

My wife and I both have HPV. I have a couple small warts on my penis, while my wife doesn't have any (that are noticeable).
Since we both have the same strain of HPV (we know this for sure), is there any reason why I should wear a condom??
Also, Since she doesn't have any warts, is it possible for me to give her warts from direct contact??

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to jackstephan1 For This Useful Post:
Godcures (02-08-2012)
Old 03-02-2004, 07:36 AM   #2
Inactive

KimRick HB User
Re: Married with HPV/genital warts...need some advice

I believe that you cannot be "reinfected" w/ the same strain, however you can be infected w/ multiple strains at one time (there are currently over 100 different strains out there). Does she know which strain/s she has? She can have her gynocologist administer the HPV Digene Test to determine which strains she has. If she doesn't have the strains that will give her actual warts and you do, then yes you will give her that particular strain. It is completely possible to have actual warts that aren't visible to the naked eye. Either way, I would talk to your doctor about it. . . .

GOOD LUCK!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2004, 11:20 PM   #3

jackstephan1 HB User

Thanks Kimrick for the info on the HPV test. that sounds like it should be helpful.
I guess the question that I was really trying to ask though, is if the warts on my penis can cause warts on her, because I'm 100% sure that we both have the same strain already.
We have been having unprotected sex for over a year now. While my warts may have just appeared, we believe that she has had HPV for quite some time now (she had previous partners, while i did not). Also she has not had any abnormal paps.
I'm just worried that my warts will increase her risk of getting a lesion. (cancerous or not).

so....
Are there any married couples out there with HPV??
Do any of you still use condoms???
Is there any reason why we should be wearing condoms(other than birth control)?????

thanks

Old 03-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
Inactive

KimRick HB User

If she hasn't had an abnormal pap and she hasn't seen any warts, how do you know she's even infected? The best thing for her to do is go to her gynocologist and request that she have the HPV DNA test to determine exactly which strands she has and then proceed from there.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-05-2004, 02:07 PM   #5

Fetch HB User

Hey jackstephan
I am married and have hpv (the visible warts). My husband and I have have been having unprotected sex and he doesn't have warts. Some people have a natural immunity to warts and some people may become "carriers" of the virus (never have warts, but can pass the virus to someone else). I don't think that having unprotected sex will increase her chances of getting warts at this point if you've been having unprotected sex all along. Also, it sounds like she passed the virus on to you and since she hasn't had any warts she's probably a non-wart carrier of the virus anyway. Hope that helps.

Old 03-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #6

missnicole HB User

like everyone else is saying, ask your dr what he or she thinks first of all, but heres my experience and i hope it helps. im not married but have been with my boyfriend for two years. i have hpv and just finished my last round of treaments and am wart free. my boyfriend has no visible warts. from what my dr has told me if i have sex with him and he comes into physical contact with the warts, it does not mean that he will definetly pop up with warts too the next day or a week or a month later. skin to skin contact, warts or not, is what passes the hpv virus from one person to the next. the warts kind of have a mind of thier own and they come when they want to come or in some cases like somone mentioned above, the dont come at all. it just depends on the person. since i found out i do have hpv and warts, my boyfriend and i have continued to have sex without condoms. that was about two months ago and he has had no visible problems since then. if anyone has any info that proves what im saying wrong, please correct me, because i dont want to sound like the all knowing because im just going on what my dr has told me.

good luck to you and your wife!

Old 03-11-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

My husband and I both have hpv, He infected me and we have different strains, He has had warts once and never came back and it has been about 2 years. I have had abnormal paps But never had warts, and had a colposcopy and cryotherapy to get rid of the abnormal(pre cancer cells). We don't use condoms and I am not sure about getting re infected but I do know that if he has a wart on him and you have unprotected sex it WILL be passed on to the other person. I would advise you to talk to your doc and use protection if there are signs of warts...E.t.c.
Good luck and keep me updated and I will do the same, I see my doc next week for a pap and I will ask some more questions.
Carly

Closed Thread