It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cocoeyes HB User
Question Does HPV cause Bacterial Vaginosis??

I notice that every time I have sex and if it's unprotected I end up with BV after my period is about to end. Is BV something that you can catch sexually or is HPV the cause of reoccurrence HPV?

Old 09-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Does HPV cause Bacterial Vaginosis??

Some people are just prone to recurrent BV. You can catch it from sex, but it's not necesarrily an STD. I also had recurrent BV after my period for along time after I got married and became frequently sexually active. The reason for this is simple. The anatomy of sex makes it easy to see how bacteria can get into your vagina, plus, we carry a certain ammount of healthy bacteria in our vagina. Then during and after your period, the PH in your vagina changes from acidic to more alkaline and the bacteria is able to multiply faster than it should. The acidity of the vagina usually keeps a healthy balance of bacteria and yeast (the good bacteria keeps the healthy yeast at bay. Hence the yeast infections many of us get after finishing antibiotics.) but any change in that or extra bacteria introduced can cause an infection. It's all about the balance, and I'm pretty sure HPV has nothing to do with it. Sex, time of the month, thongs (the narrow strip of fabric shifts and can easily transferr bacteria from the rectum to the vagina,) and wiping back to front can all be culprits, though.

What I did to get rid of recurrent BV: After finishing up the antibiotic interts, I religiously began washing with antibacterial Dial soap really well around my vagina and all the way to my, um, back door. I also made my husband wash REALLY well with the antibacterial soap and made him start triming his pubic hair some. (Nasty male pubic hair is a huge bacteria breeding ground) I also made sure to always wipe front to back after I used the bathroom, and quit wearing thongs. I haven't had BV in over 2 years now!!

Sorry for the medical dissertation, but as you see, I learned my share about recurrent BV! Good luck, and get to a gyno to get some meds if you haven't already.
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cocoeyes HB User
Re: Does HPV cause Bacterial Vaginosis??

Thanks! I was wondering if this was going to interfer with me being married and not wanting my hubby to enjoy sex to the fullest. I have recently started using anti-bacterial soap so maybe this will help. I'll also have my boyfriend use it as well. Hope this works!

Last edited by cocoeyes; 09-06-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Closed Thread