It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2003, 06:20 AM   #1

JDP HB User
Post HPV/LEEP questions

I had a LEEP in April and my doctor wants me to wait 6 months before trying to get pregnant. (and we have to use condoms until then). I have questions that my doc can't seem to answer and it's so frustrating to me that I'm switiching doctors. Until then, can anyone offer info on these questions?

Here goes... I was told that the LEEP procedure cures dysplasia in 90% of patients. If you still have HPV though - how can you not get more dysplasia? In other words, if the virus is still in your body, how does the LEEP fix the problem?

Also - since my husband most likely has HPV now too - when we decide to try to get pregnant and forego condoms - isn't he transmitting more HPV to me?

Also - I was told dysplasia is likely after you've had a baby due to pregnancy & birth. That would then be true for me since I never had an abnormal pap until my exam 1 year after giving birth. What is this all about & can I expect a problem again after my next child even though I've had a LEEP?

Thanks to anyone who can offer insight until my next doc appt. with a DIFFERENT doctor!!

Old 07-31-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Hi girl, I had a LEEP done about 6 years ago. I had severe dysplasia. The LEEP is highly effective in preventing reoccurrence. I've been 6 years and still doing well. All my paps have been good. I get a thin prep now all the time and I would suggest it to you as well.

If you go to [url="http://www.*****.com"]www.*****.com[/url] they have really good info. on cervical dysplasia and HPV. As far as I know HPV is not curable just treatable - is this right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2003, 06:55 AM   #3

lilsis2 HB User
HPV is not curable.

I had thin prep tests as well, but my problems came back.

Make sure you ask your doctor whether or not you can deliver a baby naturally, the LEEP procedures thin out your cervix, supposedly, making a regular delivery more difficult.

Old 08-01-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
A RARE RISK of the LEEP PROCEDURE is

Narrowing of the cervix (cervical stenosis) that can cause infertility.

So I guess it is capable of occurring although I like to think I was spared on this risk... will find out soon when I conceive again.

Thanks lilsis.

Closed Thread