It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2003, 03:44 AM   #1

nova76 HB User
Post HPV/cervical lesion

Hi! I'm new to this, so please bear with me. When I went to have my pap a few weeks ago, I also opted to have the papsure done. The papsure showed an "area of concern" for my gyn, but the pap test itself came back fine. I had the colposcopy yesterday, and my gyn saw a "lesion"--he said it was balck and white. He biopsied it and set me up for LEEP. Anyway, can any of you tell me what can cause a cervical lesion? All I can find is HPV/STD's? Can you have HPV if you and your spouse have only been with each other and didn't "do anything" until over the age of 22? All the info I can find says "multiple partners" and "sex at an early age." I have a friend who is a doctor who says she just can't believe that it's dysplasia (what my gyn thinks it is) given the fact that I don't have the risk factors. Can you just get HPV? Also, is it possible for the lesion to turn out to be nothing? If so, do I still need the LEEP? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:17 AM   #2

lilsis2 HB User
It just takes one person, one time to get HPV.

The research nowadays reflects that almost all cervical cancers/dysplasias are related solely to the HPV virus.

I was told by my physician to think of it as such: HIV is probably the most difficult STD to get. HPV is the easiest, like catching a cold. The statistic show that a majority of young persons today (like me) under 30 have HPV and don't know it. This is because only certain strands of HPV can cause dyplasia (#16 and 30, I believe).

Also, condoms are going to be labeled in the next few years by law to inform you that they don't protect against HPV, and that HPV can lead to cervical cancer.

So, if you or your partner ever had ANY sexual contact (oral/regular/anal) sex with someone else, that could explain the HPV. Now, if you are saying that neither or you EVER had any sexual activity before meeting each other, I am a little skeptical, if it turns out that you definitly have dysplasia.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread